5.0 out of 5 stars A novel of high quality
This is a novel about politics, successions within the nobility and the bid for Royal thrones. These central themes are woven into the period of time broadly labelled as the `Wars of Scottish Independence' and involve famous historical people including William Wallace, Robert Bruce and Edward Longshanks.

You may be wondering at this point one of two things;...
Published on 18 Oct 2010 by J. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad in parts
In the 13th century King Edward the First of England has conquered Wales and now sets his sights on Scotland. After the convenient death of the Scottish King Edward invades and sets up a new puppet monarch. The Scottish nobles are not happy but fight amongst themselves. One family of powerful nobles with a claim to the throne are the Bruce family and this book follows...
Published 19 days ago by Plucked Highbrow

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Start, 22 Jan 2012
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book and it held my interest all the way through.

Historically I would compare it with the TRANTER historical novels which are equally detailed although a bit heavier going. The characters are brought to life by his writing both socially and historically.

Bruce himself seemed to change sides which caused unrest with his father and friends and you are left with the uneasy feeling that he was never fully trusted by the Scots.

Historically as far a the general public are concerned he is a hero.

Overall a very good start to the series and very much looking forward to the next installment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 12 Mar 2011
Francis D. Aitken (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) (Hardcover)
i was looking forward to this book as i'm Scottish myself. the book was good, and was getting better, which bodes well for book 2.

However, i don't think it was as good as the authors Bretheren series!

Worth a read though!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good historical detail, 7 Jan 2011
Mrs. PJ Taylor (Reading UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has clearly been thoroughly researched and is very informative about a period of history that (for English people at least) is barely mentioned and certainly not understood. How interesting to read about the influence and relationships of people like Robert Bruce and William Wallace and to gain a clearer perspective on the power structures of the time.

It was a little slow in places but picked up the pace about halfway through the book. I do wish history wasn't dotted about with so many people of the same name (there are always too many Henrys, Edwards, Anns and Catherines) as this can be a little confusing, but this is hardly the fault of the author!

All in all, a good read and of interest to anyone who enjoys historical novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing story., 21 Dec 2010
E. Arderne "Mirin" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) (Hardcover)
This is a well researched and absorbing story of Robert the Bruce and I look forward to the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great read but -, 7 Dec 2010
J. Turner (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This retelling of the story of Robert the Bruce is rich and evocative, Robyn Young has wonderful story telling skills, and I enjoyed this tumultous and often bloody romp through a frantic phase in Scots history. The characters are so alive they almost come off the page, the plot unravels at a rate of knots and the descriptions are wonderful. However, I cringed at some of the more modern terminology here - okay, no one expects scots gaelic in a book like this - like when the queen 'fell pregnant' for instance, making her sound like a council tenant that couldn't quite her act together! (and no, I don't have anything against council tenants, just slack writing) Or when Alexander the King was lured into a 'honey trap', amongst other modern terms. Maybe I am being picky but it just jarred for me, and I thought it was careless of the author to lapse in this way. My other grumble is that the book was just too long, 64 chapters at least. Who really needs a book with that many chapters in it? I love long books but this was taking the mick. It could have been shorter by at least 70 pages, and of course, it's a trilogy, not that I blame the author for that, but the publishers these days are frankly greedy. Book series are all the rage admittedly, but mostly they are a waste of time, rehashing the same old trite formula. I can't really see me reading the rest of the series, but I do give RY a big thumbs up on this opening novel, except for the minor glitches.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good accurate history, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) (Hardcover)
This was very accurate, true to history and left me wanting further stories in this series. Other characters, than Robert the Bruce, seemed to blend in well to this story. There are a lot of years left to cover in this trilogy and I look forward to old and new characters and their interactions.

5.0 out of 5 stars inserection, 26 Nov 2010
I. Mackenzie (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) (Hardcover)
excelent book, I would recomend it to anyone. I am a Robyn Young fan and enjoyed her Templer trilogy. I am almost finished this book and cant wait for the next to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insurrection - the book, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) (Hardcover)
This book was bought following an interview with the author on BBC 'Meet the author' and as a fan of history I was very intereasted.
The book is very well researched and answers a lot of my queries about the Scottish/English history of the time. Perhaps we all know about the Robert the Bruce being trapped in a cave and watching a spider but this story is fascinating about him, his family and his feelings to Edward the king and eventually Bannockburn.
I seem to remember the author saying it was the first of a trilogy and in interview was in the middle of research for the second book next year.
I will be keeping an eye open for that!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 23 Dec 2010
artemisrhi "artemisrhi" (Forest of Dean) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not a period in history that I know, other than watching Braveheart and listening to the words of Flower of Scotland, so it was a delight to understand more of the period. It is a well written book and I certainly stormed through it. I am sure that I will read the subsequent books in the trilogy. The explanation of the complex family and political situation that Robert the Bruce found himself in was excellently done. I think it was well explained and the author demonstrated clearly why Bruce behaved as he did, not without sympathy. My only gripe that if you read the author's notes at the end there are a number of people and events that have been changed for dramatic licence. I applaud the author for her honesty in pointing them out and wonder why the need as now I will never remember which things were true and which were made up! Most annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awkward!, 7 Jun 2012
Pradeep A. Jayatunga "PraJay" (Sri Lanka) - See all my reviews
Not smooth reading. Makes one find faults rather than enjoy the story. The writing seems amateurish and awkward. Very inferior compared to Nigel Tranter's trilogy on the Bruce.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy)
Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) by Robyn Young (Hardcover - 14 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01