4.0 out of 5 stars 35-year pot-pourri, 18 Dec 2008
Paul Magnussen (Campbell, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best of the "Saint": v. 1 (Paperback)
As is usually the case with "Best of" compilations, this two-volume anthology should more properly be called "A Representative Selection of"; although I'm glad to see that none of the inferior wartime Saint stories is included, and that this set does also at least contain genuine Charteris stories, and not the later pot-boilers written by ghost-writers under Charteris's name.

It's always seemed to me that if you like the Saint stories enough to read more than a couple of them, it's worth starting at the beginning and reading them in the right order (as described in my Listmania list). Otherwise, you miss so much: to take just one example, the references in "The Simon Templar Foundation" to Rayt Marius (villain of The Last Hero and Knight Templar) will be meaningless to you.

However, if anthologies such as this are more to your taste, then I would say that the stories in Vol. 1 (which are earlier) are generally better than those in Vol. 2 (with the notable exception of "The Golden Journey" in the latter).

Here's what you get in Vol. 1:

The entirety of Nş 02 Enter the Saint (1930)
• The Man Who Was Clever
• The Policeman with Wings
• The Lawless Lady
From Nş 08 The Holy Terror (1932)
• The Inland Revenue
From Nş 12 The Misfortunes of Mr. Teal (1934)
• The Art of Alibi
• The Simon Templar Foundation
From Nş 14 The Saint Goes on (1934)
• The High Fence
• The Elusive Ellshaw
From Nş 21 The Happy Highwayman (1939)
• The Charitable Countess
• The Star Producers
From Nş 20 Follow the Saint (1939)
• The Miracle Tea Party
• The Affair of Hogsbotham

Ken Follett's brief Foreword is to the point, and shows that he has at least read the books, which is more than Sir Roger Moore's (to Volume 2) does.

UPDATE 2010

This item being unavailable as I write, I recommend The First Saint Omnibus, which you can get second-hand in various editions for cheap, and which in my opinion is a better book.

P.S. For a list of all Charteris's Saint books (in two sections, because of length limitations) see my Listmanias.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Saint is as fresh as ever, 2 May 2009
J. W. Brown (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of the "Saint": v. 1 (Paperback)
My introduction to The Saint was many years ago, when 'The Brighter Buccaneer' was given to me as an 11th birthday present by my father. I became an avid fan, and must have read most of the Saint books over a period of years.
This anthology 'The Best of The Saint' took me right back to my first experience of the stories, witty, funny, with a good dollop of fantasy thrown in.
Despite most of these stories now being over 60 years old, they remain as fresh now, as they did when I first read them.
If you haven't read any Saint stories, this is an excellent introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars +The Best of the Saint, 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Best of the "Saint": v. 1 (Paperback)
The title of the book reveals its content, it is simply The Best. It all takes me back many years and I'm enjoying it as much as I ever did in those long ago days when Saint books were readily available and almost everyone read them. Well done for stocking it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 July 2013
This review is from: The Best of the "Saint": v. 1 (Paperback)
I love short stories ... especially thrillers ... I had seen The Saint on TV and decided to give the books a try ... fantastic stories ... Recommended

The Best of the "Saint": v. 1
The Best of the "Saint": v. 1 by Leslie Charteris (Paperback - 11 Dec 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01