5.0 out of 5 stars Breathes new life into the Thursday Next series
Published on 10 Feb. 2012 by Mr. Stuart Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars Thursday Last?
I love the Thursday Next novels and have read them all a number of times. I'd pre-ordered this one and was eagerly awaiting its publication. A week later, I feel mildly let down.

Published on 3 Mar. 2011 by S. B. Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathes new life into the Thursday Next series, 10 Feb. 2012
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In the latest Thursday Next story, Fforde has remade the BookWorld in a new image. A new and simpler written Thursday Next is the protagonist and a lot of the perspective has been skewed to a new angle. I happen to really like it, but I can see what it might be a bit Marmitey- existing fans expecting another romp in the mould of Eyre Affair might be a bit disappointed. Though not a particularly inspired compraison, it reminds me of the 2009 Star Trek movie, that rewrote the history book of the series and divided opinion (I like that film too...).

The map at the beginning and end of the book made me worry that Fforde had gone all Lord Of The Rings and would be dwelling on long-winded geography, but actually it's a neat set-up for BookWorld 2.0, where different genres of book are now neighbours, and some genres are threatening all-out war... It's a premise that's good for a whole book-full of clever genre twists, puns, and other wordplay, and it's one of the most densely packed Fforde books to date for that kind of thing- which is a very long-winded way of saying, this book is very funny.

I'm surprised other reviwers, who are clearly also Fforde fans, have been so down on "One Of Our Thursdays...". After I had felt that the previous Thursday Next novel was beginning to offer diminishing returns, this is a really exciting new lease of life for the series. I ended up reading it in one day, putting it down only when absolutely necessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thursday Last?, 3 Mar. 2011
S. B. Kelly (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

The problem is that the hero of this book is not the 'real' Thursday but her BookWorld version, whom we met in First Among Sequels. She's a pale shadow of the 'real' Thursday; okay, she learns a lot in the course of the novel, but she still lacks oomph.

There's some good stuff: Thursday's robot sidekick-cum-butler, Sprocket, is a classic fforde character and there are a few good jokes (Deal Or No Deal is a popular woodworking programme) but it doesn't stop many chapters from being frankly dull, something I never imagined fforde capable of.

The series is in danger of disappearing up its own tricksiness. Fforde proved in Shades Of Grey that has lost none of his eccentric brilliance, so perhaps it's time to call an end to Thursday's adventures and concentrate on Eddie & Jane.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant read, 14 July 2013
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6 (Paperback)
One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing is the sixth novel in the popular Thursday Next series by Welsh author, Jasper Fforde. Not long after the Remake of BookWorld, it seems that Real World Thursday Next is missing. Written Thursday (Thursday 1-4 from First Among Sequels, the huggy one) has been trying to play Thursday with dignity, but the series is virtually unread, so the presence of an understudy allows her to investigate with the help of Sprocket, a clockwork butler she has acquired (everyone needs a butler). This instalment features Men in Plaid as enforcers, a Triumph Bonneville, inter-genre cabs, a book sabotaged by rhetorical worms, a geologist thrown from a window, and a car chase. Written Thursday travels to the Real World, meets the real Landen, is kidnapped by a Wiltshire Stiltonista, tries to interpret obscure clues to Thursday's whereabouts, travels up the Metaphoric River, meets some Loser Literary Siblings (The Mediocre Gatsby, Brian Heep, Tracy Capulet, Sharon Eyre etc) and is finally offered a job with Jurisfiction. Concepts like character assassins, a mime field, the Large Metaphor Collider and the intricacies of a character's backstory are also a source of entertainment. Fforde still delights with some absurd names like Keitel Black, Red Herring and D.J. Growling, and each chapter is prefaced by a pertinent passage from Bradshaw's BookWord Companion, which, we note, runs to at least fifteen editions, confirming that Colonel Bradshaw's eventual retirement must have been profitable. As always, Fforde is incredibly clever: this is a brilliant read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning the world of Read Books on its head and solving a mystery a the same time, 18 Mar. 2011
As only Japser FForde can imagine and create imaginary worlds, this book takes the world of books, turns it inside out, with interesting asides to present real world economics playing a factor, and tells a story from the "read" Thursday Next who sits in the book world and monitors the reading of the Thursday next series of books when some one actually reads one of the series making sure the the "read" characters are in place when a reader is reading and that they behave as the author intended. There is a feed back loop, however, from the reader's imagining of what they are reading to the book itself, among other interesting twists. We are about half way through our reading and enjoying it, chuckling and puzzling out the twists when they fly over our heads the first time. My husband and I read Japser FForde's books out loud and our daughter gets hooked when she hears us from another room in the house. We are fanatic fans of Jasper FForde and read all his books. One of us is a chemical physicist who likes science fiction and I am a a evolutionary ecologist and water colorist. Jasper FForde's imaginary worlds are interesting enough for both of us to enjoy together. This is not a stand alone book. You must know the characters from Thursday Next series of books by Jasper FForde to follow the characters, their behavior, and what to expect them to do.

2.0 out of 5 stars The first Thursday Next book I've given up on, 19 Jun. 2014
B. Remy "bezerina" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I love the Thursday Next novels but I couldn't get through this one. My kindle tells me I'm 63% through and I have no motivation to get to the end.

I realise that by book 6, Mr Fforde might be trying to keep the franchise fresh, but for me it just doesn't work. And I couldn't really tell you why. There is plenty of clever word play and skilful and inventive concepts (as always), but overall the book seems really dull. Not a word I could have ever imagined myself using to describe a Thursday Next book.

I suppose because it focuses on the fictional Thursday Next who is searching for the real Thursday Next, I don't really care what happens. I love the real Thursday, the fact that she is missing is slightly concerning, but as all the books are in a first person narrative then you have to care about the narrator. And I don't! I don't care enough about the fictional Thursday to find out where the real Thursday has gone, or how her fictional counterpart rescues her. So if I never finish this book, I'll never know. Which is quite sad after the hours I've invested in this series.

I can't imagine that anyone new to this series would start at book 6, and if you're a lover of the franchise then you'll probably want to give this book a go anyway. All I would say then is don't make this the only book you take on holiday with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would the real Thursday please stand up, 17 Jan. 2012
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love this series. The Eyre Affair was something new, well written, funny and with an excellent plot. The series continued to hold my interest and to place Fforde as one of my favourite authors.

This book I found hard to get in to. The start seemed to be overrun with puns regarding the BookWorld, the characters within and the readers from RealWorld. The book centres around The Written Thursday Next, rather than the real one, and as weird as it sounds, the story felt as though it was struggling to keep to the standard that the real Thursday Next had us used to.

Then the story started getting interesting. I'm not sure what plot device was used, but all of a sudden I started really enjoying this book - as much as I had the previous five books. The ending here has left us with plenty of scope for a seventh book, something I hope we will get to see.

If you start reading this book and find you aren't enjoying it as much as the others - keep going. It is worth it.

I also really liked the following sentence from this book, so thought it worth a mention: "The trip back downriver was uneventful, and over in only twelve words."

Now go read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 10 Feb. 2012
I'm a great 'laugh-out-loud' fan of Jasper Fforde, but I was a little disappointed in this book. The first few chapters were rather ponderous, and I nearly gave up on it - unheard of for me! There was a good deal of 'revision' of past Thursday Next escapades and incidents, which Mr. Fforde may have thought necessary for newcomers to the series. I think perhaps it might have proven more effective to suggest, at the beginning of the book, that potential readers should start with the forerunners, thereby getting a handle on the whole Thursday Next character and her settings.He could then have plunged straight into the story in 'One of Our Thursdays is Missing'!
However, the pace did pick up and I'm glad I perservered, as I did enjoy the book in the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but still as entertaining as ever, 31 Mar. 2011
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I found One of our Thursdays is Missing quite different from the other books in the Thursday Next series, not least because you could tell it was written Thursday who was speaking. Although the tone was similar the way in which written Thursday approached things was markedly different to that of real Thursday. Partly because of this I found the One of Our Thursdays is Missing was a little slow to start, however I did also find this about First Among Sequels so it may just be the pattern the series is taking, certainly in both there was more that needed to be explained,

Having said that having written Thursday speaking made a big difference which somewhat slowed down the plot I did like the new Thursday. She was much more pondering and less action focussed than Thursday and it felt like she was discovering things along with the reader rather than leaving them puzzling. I suppose that could be a bad thing but at points she left little tantalising details which suggested that she knew more, I liked that because it made her seem more like a written person, like she was trying to make a narrative, and it kept me interested to find out what she knew.

There were a lot of things I did love about this book. I loved how where before there had been references to novels ow there were references to writing, I especially liked when the characters got lost because of lack of references to who was speaking! I loved written Thursday, she was like a softer version of real Thursday and it was nice to have a little change, even if it meant the book was more pondering. I loved learning a bit more about the book world, about the politics, about how in joined up and how different areas interacted with each other, supported by the rather intriguing map at the beginning and the quotes from Bradshaw's Guide to the Bookworld. There was less about the real world too, I always preferred the Bookworld side of the storyline so I liked that. Plus where the real world was included in the story I found it really interesting to see it from a fiction point of view.

Again the end seems to lead on to another Thursday Next novel which makes it seem more series like than it once was. In ways I don't like that, it somehow makes Thursday Next seem more commercial, but I won't complain about there being more to come!

As a side note the acknowledgements are well worth the read (I was on the bus when I finished, it's not usually a section I read). There is a section about what happened while Fforde was writing One of Our Thursdays is Missing which is rather entertaining and makes me like him even more (and no, not just because he's a fellow mac user!)

I wanted to give this book 4 and a half stars but that isn't possible, so 4 will have to do

3.0 out of 5 stars Next please..., 30 Mar. 2011
I can't put my finger on why this book didn't get me like other Fforde books have. It's nothing to do with the main character not being the main character as others have suggested...it just wasn't as strong a story. I love the idea of going into a book, of characters with no back story, of landscapes with very little description, the way us readers invent so much when we read a book....that's all still there, plus those obscure mentions of older novels that you only get if your well read...(yes, I have trouble with some of them!)...

But I have to apologise to the characters in Bookworld if I drifted off while reading for periods of time...blame your writer!Kenwood Miro TTM333 Brushed Metal Toaster, 4 Slice

4.0 out of 5 stars slow start, strong finish, 4 July 2011
I love Jasper FForde - and I love him for his clever clogs use of language, and unashamed nods to the broadly read. I don't mind that you sometimes have to work a bit to catch the story. And I love the character of Tuesday, so was really looking forward ro being back in the books after a diversion into nursery crimes and colour predjudice. It's all there - the characters we've come to love, the strange world that's like ours, but not quite. I liked the new bookworld, but the first three quarters of the book is mainly clever plays on grammer and syntax, and the plot moves on little if at all. When it finally kicks into gear it is as good as ever though. And for Fforde fans of course - not to be missed!

One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6 by Jasper Fforde (Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)