4.0 out of 5 stars A book you'll like more as you read it!
Published on 25 Jan. 2012 by Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe"

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprising book
Published on 29 Jan. 2012 by realovesbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprising book, 29 Jan. 2012
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: More Like Her (Paperback)
I have to say I am not a fan of the cover of this book in my opinion it is a little bland, it wouldn't be one that would catch my eye whilst searching the shelves for my next book. I found the storyline had a very slow start and I struggled to keep reading, it did reach a point where I was ready to give up but luckily it was just after this point where there was a shocking twist in the book which finally managed to grab my attention.

My favourite character in this book has to be Sam, I found that his character felt like he was developed more than the other characters in this book. I especially found it moving how Sam dealt with his situation in the big twist in this book. It was clear that Sam had feelings for Frannie but because of her past she seemed to constantly be putting barriers up after she had had a great time with Sam but I think this was to protect herself from getting hurt again. Frannie was an easy character to warm to at times you wanted to give her a big cuddle and at other times you wanted to give her a good shake!

I am surprised that the character of Emma wasn't more developed because there is a situation involving her which really should have pulled at my heart strings but I didn't really feel like I knew anything about her so although I was shocked I don't feel like I experienced the emotions I should have been feeling at this point in the story.

For me the best part of this book was the shocking chapter which there is no way you can predict when this is about to happen in this book because there is no build up to it. It was a relatively quick read but I do feel it was hard to get through the first half of this book but it is worth persevering with.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book you'll like more as you read it!, 25 Jan. 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: More Like Her (Paperback)
I haven't actually read any of Liza Palmer's books as of yet, so when I was sent a copy of her new book More Like Her for review, I was really determined to read it because it sounded really interesting and a few American reviews of it made it sound like a book not to be missed as well. I have to confess to not being mad on the cover, I find the (awful) coloured boots to be a strange choice as well as the odd flooring, I think the publishers could have made so much more than this, but really don't judge this book by the cover because it is so much that what I had expected from the cover. It is chick lit but with a difference - it's meaty, and its got a plot that you don't see coming without a doubt!

The main character is Frannie, a woman who is somewhat lucky in love after yet another break up with boyfriend Brad. She's fed up and is determined to find a guy who loves her for who she is not, and not who they want her to be. I really liked Frannie, even if she did frustrate me at times because of her woe-is-me attitude and constant bickering with the lovely Sam, the male lead in the book. Sam was lovely, very affected by what he had to do in the book but this made me feel even more sympathetic towards him. Frannie is a bit stand-offish towards him, you can understand why in some respects but at the same time, I wanted her to wake up and see what a good guy Sam was! Emma doesn't appear heavily in the book, but in some ways she's the most important person in the book. Her life isn't what she wants everyone to think it is, and it's going to have huge ramifications for everyone she knows.

I'm not going to go into any detail about the events in the book, because it's best to read them as they unfold, and be shocked by them as I was when I read the book. Palmer writes the surprising storyline really well, with great emotion, detail and a lot of compassion for the characters who are going through these issues. I felt the reactions of all involved to be very realistic, from Grady and Lisa's relationship twists and turns, to Sam and Frannie's upset and nightmare to Jill's denial as well. It isn't something I would expect to read in chick lit, yet it really made me think about things, and the issues involving Emma too, the woman Frannie wanted to be like her. It's a sad story, and one will certainly stay with you for a while.

I found it very easy to read, and get into, and Palmer's writing style was a joy to read too, slowly unfolding the story, and setting up a good amount of background for the main story to start being told as well. It's a very emotional book, that's perhaps more about the inner turmoil and struggle of the characters, and how they come about rescuing themselves from it than anything else, but it's compulsive reading that will have you wanting a happily ever after for these poor characters. If you want chick lit with a difference, something that packs a bit of a punch and is a meaty read, then look no further than a copy of More Like Her. It'll have you wondering whether everyone else's lives are the dream world that they outwardly appear to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars you must read this funny sensitive author for women, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: More Like Her (Paperback)
I have read all of Liza Palmer's 4 books now and she is a delight to read - the character and story arc's are so engrossing and funny and she really writes
as a woman who understands emotion and how to connect with female readers. I am 45 and I read 'Conversations with the fat girl' in the garden one summer and i was not only hooked but laughing out loud.
Any fans of Jennifer Weiner, Kate Jacobs, Patricia Gaffney, Adriana Trigiani will adore this book and her other steller novels

More Like Her
More Like Her by Liza Palmer (Paperback - 19 Jan. 2012)