4.0 out of 5 stars Modern tale of junior doctor life

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging enough, but not ground-breaking
Published on 16 Aug 2008 by unlikely_heroine

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern tale of junior doctor life, 29 Dec 2008
M. Thornton (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor (Paperback)
I bought this book expecting another depressing and cynical account of life as a junior doctor but I was pleasantly surprised. There are a few tired old cliches in here ("I used to worry about caring too much. Now I worry about not caring enough.") but on the whole the writing is fresh and original. The more personal stories about the author's flatmates and colleagues add warmth and realism to the day to day grind and bring the story to life. There is a good balance between cynicism and hope and the author is very honest about his doubts and failings.

I wished the author had talked more about why he chose the specialty that he did, and how his house officer year affected his career plans.

Anyone who has been a house officer will be able to relate to this. My favourite part was the description of being so tired from a long day on call and yet not wanting to go to bed because that will just bring the next day around that much quicker - so true!

This book will also be of interest to medical students and to anyone who would like to know more about life as a junior doctor in the NHS. It is accessible and not filled with meaningless jargon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging enough, but not ground-breaking, 16 Aug 2008
This review is from: Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor (Paperback)
Max Pemberton has written an engaging account of his first year as a junior doctor, which I enjoyed reading, but there's something all too familiar about the trials and tribulations he runs through here. Any casual viewer of medical dramas such as "Casualty", "Holby City" , "Cardiac Arrest", "Bodies", "E.R." (etc, etc, etc) will be aware that junior doctors are overworked, underpaid, put under pressure by superiors, and often feel that they are out of their depth. Similarly, the idea that hospitals are being overrun with bureaucracy, paperwork, targets, league tables (etc, etc, etc) is nothing new.

Other familiar medical territory that has the crash team called, the paddles readied and the electric charge applied here includes Max losing heart and beginning to consider other career choices (a dilemma resolved in predictable fashion); family members who complain the young doctor has lost weight and needs to be fed up, etc; nurses being under-appreciated; junior doctors making mistakes (though none that are actually that bad); a senior doctor who is a ladies man and works his way through the younger, impressionable female doctors; X-rays, blood tests, brain scans etc being very difficult to obtain unless special favours can magically be called in by nurses and administration staff who manage to fix things for our hero and earn his eternal gratitude; and an impassioned defence of the NHS. It is all very readable, and I have no doubt that it is all very accurate, but this book is not ground-breaking, and does not take any risks in its depiction of a junior doctor's first year.

Max is a very likeable narrator, and his writing style is gently amusing, if not as hilarious as some of the cover blurb promises the reader. I am greatly reassured that there are doctors out there with his professional, caring and conscientious attitude. However, he's altogether just too nice, and the path of a junior doctor already so well-trodden in books, TV, cinema, newspapers and so on and so forth, for this gentle, familiar account to have any real bite, or lasting impact on the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 26 Mar 2008
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Boris Johnson is quoted as saying this is "Painfully Funny" Well . . . yes and no.

Rather, it is a thoughful, well-written, worrying account of life for a junior doctor in his first after qualifying. There are actually very few genuinely laugh-out-loud moments, however the stories Dr Pemberton regales us with will make you smile, frown, laugh, almost cry . . .

If this is a true reflection of how the NHS is run - and treats it's Junior Doctors, then it is almost beyond belief that more people haven't died, and that more doctors aren't leaving in their droves.

There are stories of abuse, love, hate, fear, laughter, joy, discouragment - from colleagues and from patients. There are moments when you want to cry out in anger and frustration along with the autor. There are moments when you will laugh out loud. There are moments when you will shake your head in disbelief.

You may find yourself agreeing with the author - and others in the book - that things could be done so much better, if it wasn't for political creed and expediency - from all sides of the political spectrum.

I would recommend this book to everyone who is considering a career in medicine. I would recommend it to evey politician and management consultant. To every Clinician, nurse, medical consultant and patient (past present or future).

This book is a damning indictment of the way the NHS is run now, and it is also uplifting. It is uplifting to understand that there are still dedicated people out there who want to work in our hospitals and put up with political interfering and the aggrevation from patients and senior doctors.

Like the author I believe that the NHS is a good thing, and must be saved at all costs. However, also like the author I dispare sometimes of the way it is being treated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 8 Jan 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone in the medical profession or anyone thinking of taking up medicine as a carreer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny - and brilliantly eye-opening to boot, 18 Dec 2009
This review is from: Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor (Paperback)
I don't read The Daily Telegraph, so I'd never heard of Max Pemberton until I started to hear the gentle murmurings about this book. I picked it up on a whim when it arrived in a box of books at our shop, and it turned out to be well worth a read.

It's a kind of diary of Pemberton's first year as a junior doctor, fresh out of medical school, terrified, and absolutely clueless as to the day to day running of a hospital ward. Along with his friends Ruby, Supriya and Lewis, he has to negotiate the egos of his consultants, befriend the nurses and secretaries who will help him adjust, learn to book scans and prescribe medication, cope with his mistakes and develop a confident bedside manner. Along the way there is death and despair, hope and uncertainty, joy and laughter.

I learned a lot about the way a ward operates, and developed a whole new respect for the doctors and nurses who fight every day to alleviate suffering, sometimes against the most horrific odds. There are also some pertinent points made about the way the NHS has been politicised by the government and the changes that are being made against all common sense. It's nice to here a doctor's view of these issues rather than just the political spin placed on it for the media. All in all, this is a great little read; amusing, informative, eye-opening and full of heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and thought provoking, 20 Feb 2008
B. Fisher (London) - See all my reviews
The book is hilariously, if sometimes painfully funny! At times you wonder how anybody gets through the training to be a doctor in the first place. Max highlights the feelings and experiences of a junior doctor in his first year in hospital; sometimes terrifying, sometimes rewarding - often farcical!
Although it is very funny - it is also very thought provoking, and Max ranges from government targets to local bureaucracy, always highlighting the effect these have on patient care. This is definitely not just a book for those working in the NHS. It opened my eyes as to just how hectic and chaotic it must be for doctors and nurses. Max obviously cares deeply about the NHS and his patients. For all the scrapes he gets in to - you'd certainly want him as your doctor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Insightful, 20 Feb 2008
After hearing that radio 4 rated `Trust me I'm a Junior Doctor' as book of the week I bought a copy to find out an insight into the life of a newly graduated doctor. I Found Max's depiction of his life as a junior doctor highly amusing and entertaining, but at the same time it gave a lot of details into real issues within the NHS. Excellent read, well worth the buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories..., 28 April 2008
This book is scarily accurate. Scary, in that it reminds me of my house officer days, and scary in that it reveals to the layman (and woman) the enormous naivety of the junior doctor on the first few days and weeks at work. However, this is not something to be hidden, and the author is to be commended for his brutal honesty. (For the record, we're not related, and I've never heard of him before, let alone met him!)

I'm not sure if this will appeal more to fellow doctors, who will remember everything Dr Pemberton all-too-well recalls, and laugh and cry at it, or to members of the public, who will see behind the eyes of the terrified junior doctor, facing disease, expectation and impossibility all at once.

I'm not sure what is meant by the contributor who thought House of God more representative of the NHS. For one, House of God is a much older book. Two, it is set in the USA. Three, it is a satire, whereas this, I promise you, is as real as life (and death) gets.

Buy it for your doctor friend, and he or she will thank you. Then borrow it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, humorous in places, 24 Feb 2008
Amazon Customer (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book is easy to read and funny in places but there are much more amusing books on the topic of junior doctors (Bodies and confessions of a junior doctor to name just two).

Worth reading but don't expect a gripping narration.

5.0 out of 5 stars So true..., 7 Sep 2008
L. Wiseman (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor (Paperback)
I am only 3/4's of the way through this book and I think it is brilliant. As many have previously said, it is so very true...and not just for junior doctors but for anyone starting out in the medical profession. I have just qualified as a midwife and got my first job in a large consultant led unit. Max Pemberton has managed to express all the same feelings and experiences that I am currently having as a newly qualified midwife..."Will I ever get a break?", "Have I prescribed the right drug to the right person?" and ultimately "When will I kill my first patient?". All joking aside this book is nothing but fantastic and Max Pemberton has managed to add humour to the dark and depressing days that are the first year as a newly qualified in the wonder that is the NHS.

Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor by Max Pemberton (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)
9.29