1,061 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Written Love Story
I've been a Jojo Moyes fan now for quite a few years, she is very talented and quite diverse in her writing. Every book has been different but engaging, satisfying reads and this, her lates is no except
Starting with the modern-day Ellie - a struggling newspaper journalist who is in the middle of an affair with a married man and travelling back to 1960 to learn about...
Published on 6 July 2010 by Lincs Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected like....
I like the simple idea behind this book - love letters can change your life. Thats it; no more analysing text messages, agonising over emails, is that a friendly x or a romantic x? However although I like the main premise of the book I found myself not wanting to read it. As some other reviewers have said the main character Ellie is not particularly likeable, she's...
Published on 30 Aug 2010 by Read Me

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok read, 24 Dec 2012
I downloaded this book as I had really enjoyed "Me before You" by the same authos, but I'm afraid I was disappointed. The story itself was a good idea and enjoyable to start with but then I felt it lost its way and became strung out, repetitive and laboured. Maybe a publisher was breathing down the author's neck? Sorry I couldn't be more positive, it hasn't put me off reading this author as I know she can do much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling love story, 19 May 2012
This review is from: The Last Letter from Your Lover (Paperback)
When features writer Ellie stumbles across a love lever from 1960 in the archives of the newspaper she works for, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the passion and urgency of the words before her, and simply has to discover what became of this pair of lovers.
Flashback to 1960 and a Jennifer Stirling finds herself waking up in hospital following a car crash with no memory of events preceding it. She finds herself simply having to accept the life she is told is hers, that of a high society housewife in a contented marriage; yet something simply doesn't feel right. It is only when she stumbles across the letters from her lover that she starts to put the pieces of her life together and becomes increasingly desparate to find the man who wrote them!
The Last Letter from Your Lover is a beautifully written old-fashioned romance, which draws you in right from the very start and becomes increasingly hard to put down as the story evolves, with all its twists and turns. The majority of the book is set in the 1960s and Moyes recreates the period perfectly, such that the reader becomes quite lost in the society of that time, and such that the parts set in modern day Britain serve as a sharp contrast to the changes that have evolved in the last 40 years. There is indeed a certain nostaliga for a bygone era, the love letters themselves a symbol of something lost, in comparison to the texts and e-mails of modern society.
The story itself is very cleverly constructed, the parts set in the 60s initially switching from Jennifer before and after her accident, such that it shows her trying to solve the identity of her mysterious lover, whilst at the same time the reader is tantalisingly afforded the privilege of flashbacks to the affair. I particulalry enjoyed the parts set in the French Riviera where Jennifer first meets B, as it is all wonderfully glamarous and reads rather like an old-fashioned movie.
In Jennifer, Moyes succeeds in creating a sympathetic character, who despite the fact that she is involved in an affair, readers can but warm to. She is a woman trapped by the restrictions and rigid moral codes of the society to which she belongs, and against which she has to fight for her freedom. The love story between her and the mysterious B is compelling, and the obstacles and twists of fate that keep them apart throughout the story really does have the reader longing for that happy ending.
The final third of the book switches back to Ellie's story in the modern day, cutting off from Jennifer's at rather a climatic point. I have to say that I didn't find myself as engaged in the modern story or characters. Ellie too is involved in an affair, however, simply doesn't evoke the same sympathy as Jennifer and her story just seemed rather mundane in comparison. Still, the modern story does eventually tie with the old, and I found myself racing through the final chapters to learn of the fates of Jennifer and her B; the ending when it does come, after yet more twists in the story, is one of the most satisfying I can recall having read in a long while!

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story, but not a drippy one., 17 May 2011
This review is from: The Last Letter from Your Lover (Paperback)
A prime example of when a book should NOT be judged by it's cover, as this is most definitely not pink and fluffy. It *is* a story about human relationships and it is set partly in the 1960s and partly in the persent day, exploring questions of fidelity and the power of the written word in relationships. Ok, so my review isn't doing this justice at all and for that I'm sorry - it really is a most beautifully told story about about how we can get it all wrong sometimes... but sometimes there's a chance to get it right too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Heartbreaking, Awesome, 21 April 2011
This review is from: The Last Letter from Your Lover (Paperback)
The Last Letter From Your Lover was a tiny bit stifling at first. I struggled to loose myself in it, but only for the first 50 or so pages.

The contrast between modern freedom and the constraints of the 1960's playout heavily in the novel, often the lines blurring. A loose sense of morals and the agonising choice over following your head or your heart the leading themes.

The way the novel is written is entirely fresh and intriguing, swapping from time lines, telling you the story and dropping hints without being obvious about it. The book itself was an amazing read, absolutely breathtaking and tragic and uplifting all at once. I didn't want this book to end - I wanted another five hundred pages waiting for me at the finish line. Sadly, all that was left was my imagination which went into overdrive wondering what happened next.

Jojo Moyes created sympathetic, and at times, frustrating characters and impossible situations. Your heart will ache, your mind boggle and your pulse race within the pages of this amazing book. I urge everyone to read this, and it has become my most recommended read to anyone who will hear me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming story, 20 April 2011
Janine Routley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Letter from Your Lover (Paperback)
The cover of this book makes you think it will be a fluffy Mills and Boon type of romance which is why I never bothered to buy it before but having read some of the reviews I decided to give it a try. The story is written very well (you need to get through the numerous spelling mistakes and missing words - better editing is needed) with the changes between the time periods handled very easily. The main character Jennifer is a bit weak but I think she needs to be in order for the story to work - a stronger character would not have worked as well in this plot. I think more could have been made of the Asbestos issue - it was touched on but never really in a significant way. The book is easy to read and the story moves along at a good pace - not exactly page turning but enough to keep you interested. All in all this was an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Last Letter from Your Lover (Paperback)
Awwww[...] That's all there really is to say about this. Without being schmaltzy and Gooey, this is one of those books that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and maybe reminiscent of loves lost and loves past. It's beautifully written, has enough drama to keep things interesting and enough twists and turns to warrant it's bulk. I loved it. And just to say I HATE that modern chick-lit stuff, this is nothing of the sort. Its just a lovely, romantic, sad and poignant tale. Fab.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it apart from the typos!, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Last Letter from Your Lover (Paperback)
Great book with real tears at the end!! Compelling love story...really entertaining and not as predictable as I first thought it would be. However, story aside, it was FULL of typos and spelling mistakes which made me cross. Why is the Kindle edition not worth proof-reading? As an English teacher, it annoys me when so little respect is given to the written word...especially when I'm paying for it! I would give the writer and story a 5 if it wasn't for the fact that my reading flow was spoiled.

5.0 out of 5 stars compulsive reading, 25 Oct 2013
I loved this storyline...it kept me reading till early hours of the morning. I was hoping for the way that it ended. I truly feel it would make a damn good movie. Next move is to try more of Jojo Moyes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to see a fair few negatives about this book., 21 Oct 2013
T. McCluskey (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Reading through the negative comments made me realise that some people would prefer a gallop to an entertaining meander through the storyline, even one which carries a reader along some intriguing pathways. For me, this is the perfect novel. Some of the sentences were poignant, and I especially love 'There is pleasure to be had in being a decent person'. How very true that is, and possibly very much more so in this hurried, harried world we live in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weepingly brilliant, 17 Oct 2013
I just love Jojo Moyes and this book was brilliant, with a great plot line that cantered along and took me on a deep emotional journey. Buy it now. Don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed. And if weepy romantic married entanglements are your thing then you might also enjoy Weak at the Knees.

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (Paperback - 3 Feb 2011)
5.59