VINE VOICEon 13 August 2008
Okay, obviously the recipes aren't the point, but they are fun and they do work; my family were delighted to find treats from favourite books and to share the author's thoughts on the books themselves. Serious fans of this kind of reading might quibble over the choices, however. I wanted new-made cream cheese from Blyton, and something from Antonia Forest - she doesn't do nothing with food, as Brocket claims, because there's all the home food - and more than saffron cake from Marmaduke Scarlet, misnamed Marmaduke Saffron, gadzooks, here, in one of many small careless errors. And what about the Abbey Girls and some flower decorations? But this was good fun and it was especially nice to see so much of the now-neglected Ransome children.
on 16 May 2013
Picture the scene - it's raining outside, you've got a bad cold, and you want to snuggle up in bed and indulge in a spot of nostalgia. This is the book for you if you enjoy children's literature and the comfort of home-baking.
on 4 June 2014
A brilliant read for anyone who loved stories as a child . Evocative and entertaining with a particular focus on food eaten ! Great to dip into or read in one go. Would make a perfect present for the older reader.
on 20 September 2013
Makes me smile EVERY time I open it!

Can't wait to get cooking some of my favourite read treats!

So many childhood books are in here it is quite unbelievable!
on 3 September 2008
I just love this book,I have always been an avid reader and have great nostalgia for the books I read in childhood.At age 61 I still read many children's books such as Harry Potter,Eon Colfer's books etc.I also like to re-read old favourites,which this book has reminded me of many I had forgotten.As a keen cook I am re-creating many dishes for my grandchildren.I Hope Jane Brocket will write many more books !
on 9 February 2009
After buying Janes previuos book and reading her blog I pre ordered this book with excitement. However I was bitterly disappointed when it arrived. I prefer cookery books to have pictures of the finished items, and given her usual photography skills I expected plenty. I realise that she wanted it to read like the books from which she lifts the recipes, so that you get the lovely old fashioned illustrations found in the original books, but I was disapponted. I wonder if sucess has made her more business savvy, her blog now rarely shares recipes, quilts or knitting as it used to. Just lots of references to 'my new books' which you will obviously have to purchase!
on 27 May 2012
I have a serious "thing" about Mary Poppins (the real one, not that insipid Julie Andrews monstrosity). So of course I loved this book.
on 4 February 2009
I found this book to be absolutely charming. More a book about children's literature than a cookbook it still has some delicious recipes - both the parkin and macaroons are superb. Reading this book has inspired me to read the books I loved as a child to my own children and hope that when they're old enough they will want to read them for themselves. My daughter and I have had fun putting together "Famous Five" picnics (lashings of everything, of course) and baking simple things, like sugar biscuits. It is a book that has had me spending more productive time with my children and that can only be a good thing.
on 21 October 2015
This was fine, just what I`d expected. Interesting trip into childhood games and treats.
on 16 August 2010
I'm a US customer so although I enjoyed reading this immensely, I'll have to do a bit of conversion to the recipes to make them. I will be trying the Cherry Cake recipe though when the weather cools off.