5.0 out of 5 stars Sheltering Rain
A wonderfully evocative saga. Set in Ireland and post war Hong Kong, Jojo Moyes' story takes us gently and thoughtfully through the fractured relationships of three generations of women. Beautifully written and totally absorbing.
Published on 12 Jun 2002 by Jill Turton

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot
Published 15 months ago by Sophie Neville

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot, 12 July 2013
Sophie Neville (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Paperback)
Whilst I enjoyed aspects of this novel about discovering the past of a colonial couple living out their old age in Ireland, I found myself being dispointed by the plot, which wandered and withered until as a reader I felt terribly let down. Whilst some of the observation is good there were foundational flaws that let down what could be a good book. It is a pity this wasn't more rigorously edited early on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could not find a way into this book that would make it at all interesting, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Paperback)
I gave this book every chance but could not really find any of the characters interesting. I had to make myself finish it as it had been chosen for the book club I belong to otherwise I would not have bothered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheltering Rain, 12 Jun 2002
Jill Turton (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Paperback)
JoJo Moynes books just capture you in my opinion and you really feel that you know the characters as you read through the book and so care about the story line. Great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sheltering Rain, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to reading this book but however I was disappointed. I read Me before You, The Last Letter From Your Lover and Silver Bay and absolutely loved them (I am glad I read them first as I think it would have put me off reading another book by Jojo Moyes).

The book started off really slow and then picked up pace towards the end. I really enjoyed reading about Joy's life in Hong Kong. Sabrina did get on my nerves but towards the end of the book I did start to warm too her. I just thought that at the beginning she did not even try to get on with her grandmother. I know she was sent to Ireland by her mother to be with her grandmother and grandfather but I just thought she could at least try and get on with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars they get better!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Paperback)
Having discovered Jojo Moyes later books I have now bought them all. Of those I have read so far,I would say that this is my least favourite its one of her early ones, and they do get better. This is a simple straight forward story - not the depth of her later books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming Story, 20 Jan 2009
wicket2005 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book about the relationships between a family, in particular, concentrating on mothers and daughters. The book covers the feelings and thoughts of three women, the grandmother, mother and daughter and covers the eras these people lived in along with the people they touched.

It wasn't initially a book that made you not want to put it down but as the story progressed it gradually grabbed you more and more. It was a charming and entertaining story with an odd little secret or two coming out but nothing mind blowing which probably makes it more true to life.

So yes I enjoyed the story and think it was well written, however, I will not be seeking out other books by the author as I prefer the more thriller type books.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely story, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Hardcover)
enjoyed this one very much. if you like a good love story this one is for you. Easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
I love Jo Jo Moyes books always a good read

3.0 out of 5 stars sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Sheltering Rain (Paperback)
I do like Jojo Moyes Books but this was not one of my favourites .
Found the end a bit predictable

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sheltering Rain
Sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes (Paperback - 10 Jan 2008)