• Broke

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 January 2013
I have mentioned in previous reviews that although I consider myself a fan, I don't LOVE every MH book I read. Having said that her last book Lost Angel was absolutely brilliant. With that in my mind I was really looking forward to reading the new release Broke. The story centres on Amy who at a young age and with a baby on the way marries Mark. Within the first two chapters I had the urge to slap Amy around the face and ask her what she was playing at. The character Mark is an absolute idiot and one that I loathed from the very beginning. A few years later and with another child in tow Amy and Mark find themselves stuck in the doldrums. When Mark loses his job and his gambling gets out of hand he makes the major mistake of borrowing money from the local loan shark Lenny Yates.

From that point on the story takes a rather sinister and dark turn. Lenny Yates decides that Amy can pay off Mark's debts his way. For fear of giving plot spoilers I don't want to divulge any more of the story, but hence to say things are not particularly nice for Amy and her children. As Amy's world takes a turn for the worse, her situation spirals and becomes almost unbelievable. The one thing I would say is that Mandasue touches on many subjects that are hard to deal with. Although Amy's situation made me feel sympathetic towards her, I also felt irritated by her as a character. The fact that her life is all about Mark and nobody else grated on me, and at times it seemed like her children came second although at the end this seemed to have done a 360 degree turn? That was my only real bugbear about the book.

Other than that, the story drew me in and I went through quite a few emotions from pure rage at reading what characters were doing to sheer irritation at how stupid they can be! I managed to read this in just under 4 hours which is a record even by my standards. It's certainly written in a way that makes you want to keep reading. Although I really liked this book her previous book Lost Angel was outstanding. That and the fact that Amy irritated me so much means it's only a 4/5 read from me, but still a great read. Can't wait for the next one.
on 2 February 2013
I am a huge Mandasue fan and she hasn't let me down. This was a page turner from start to finish, I couldn't put it down
on 2 February 2013
This book is fantastic,I couldn't put it down until I finished it.This is my favourite Mandasue book yet,I didn't want it to end. Strongly recommend to anybody....well done Mandasue :-) x
on 26 August 2013
I have read all her books and have enjoyed them all, Broke had good reviews that's why I chose this, it was another good read but I think some of her previous books may have been better.
on 3 February 2013
Well Mandasue I have to say you did not disappoint with your new release Broke, a great read from the first page. Broke is gritty and true to real life, thing that happen to the main character Amy are believable, loan sharks, drugs, and abuse, just a few themes that run through this book. Although I did not particularly take to Amy, you could not help feeling some sympathy for her spiral into drugs and the abuse she suffers. Mandasue Heller certainly knows how to keep the reader engrossed in her books with characters you will love or despise, as well as keeping the story "real". I gave this book four stars only because this is not my favourite book of Mandasue Heller. On the other hand each book she writes goes from strength to strength, Mandasue is definitely one of my favourite author's. I would offer a word of advice to anyone just about to read Broke, clear your schedule as you wont want to be interrupted, once you start reading Broke that's for sure.
on 6 February 2013
a fab story that has you gripped from beginning to end.you despair with amy at times, you want to slap her,shake her then you want to cry with her.all the things a damn good book should do!!!!!
on 6 February 2013
Chilling. Compelling and controversial! Had me in tears in the end. A must read from Heller, I read it in one night. Excellent, as usual.
on 10 February 2013
A good read. Characters interesting. A little disappointed story could have been better. Worth reading but not one of her best.
on 10 February 2013
Broke

I absolutely loved this book. You are immediately drawn into the characters lives and I felt my alliance with Amy forming once Mark's true nature was revealed. The characters come alive and when Lenny Yates comes into the story it left a bad taste in my mouth. I could picture the little weasel easily and felt my skin crawling everytime he put on the charm.

I could write pages and pages but don't want to give the story away. All I can say is buy this book, embroil yourself in the life and story of Amy and Mark ...and I was glad to see Ginger Jenny get everything she deserved...though I would have enjoyed a whole chapter on that alone.
on 5 February 2013
Well you did it again kept me up all hours to get this book finished!!
A must read for everyone!!!
Not going to spoil anything and give the storyline away....Go read it yourself!!!
You will not be disapointed!!!
Only bad thing about this book is it ended