5.0 out of 5 stars Motivate yourself- no one else will do it for you
Motivate yourself- no one else will do it for you

Published on 28 Nov 2009 by Peter Wade

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's Customer Service is Rubbish!!!
Published on 30 Dec 2009 by M. Peoples

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivate yourself- no one else will do it for you, 28 Nov 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Teach Yourself Self-motivation (TYBU) (Paperback)
Motivate yourself- no one else will do it for you

Much is talked about motivation but little is actually done about it. The most common thing I hear is "Oh yes if I were earning £X I would be motivated" this ignores the fact that the person earning £X may just have done something to get there in the first place. Also if it is such a motivator, why do not these people just go on and on to earn more, but that is not always the case.

Motivation for most people is just about getting up in the morning and doing the same old job.

Time is the biggest enemy and those who are not motivated use it as an excuse.I can understand if you have kids at home and you are struggling to make a living, it might be difficult but the rest of us have acres of time and we waste it.

Those who I meet who complain about lack have time, seem to have enough time to watch television go to the pub eat themselves silly and drink too much but not enough time to improve themselves.

I am a great believer in the Woody Allen school of success whereby he said "80% of success is just turning up." The number of things I do and belong to where people just don't turn up, then bemoan the fact they are no good at whatever we are supposed to be learning.

Goal setting

I took this up a few years ago and I would say it is the single most powerful technique I have ever used in self motivation. Goal setting changed my life. Ireconciled with my family and gave myself small achievable goals which I use on a daily basis.

You do not have to be afraid of changing them frequently. You have not failed if you set a goal then revise it.

It is a great discipline and you can achieve a lot just by working to a plan and making it happen. It is the old fail to plan and you plan to fail.

I would say this is the most effective chapter of the whole book.

You have to decide what is really important to you and work towards it in incremental steps.

Even a simple thing like learning to write with your other hand if you suffer from RSI She reckons by writing two minutes a day after a month she could write fluently with her other hand.

Most of us are held back by our own self limiting beliefs.

It took me 18 months to achieve my goal of learning to do the crawl from scratch and doing one mile swimming continuously. I went through really hating it for the first six months. The next six months is started to practise one crawl, one breaststroke.

Another six months of pausing between each length then I forced myself to do it continuously. Now I can confidently swim a mile of the crawl without stopping.It is all in the mind.

I am now on aerobic activity. Body attack is high impact aerobics. After 4 hour long classes I am now not afraid of the class and will now concentrate on improving.

I now understand how difficult it is to self motivate as you do go through a period of fear or hatred of what you are trying to do. Repetition of the task makes it bearable and when you make progress it is not a chore any more any you get better at it.

I liked the listening section as we like to believe we are good listeners but we are not. After I read it I practised active listening, that is waiting until the person had finished before I spoke.
It is very difficult as we naturally want to finish off people's sentences and reply before they have finished.

This is a great book and there is more than a life times work in here.

If you just took two tips you would revolutionise your life. I chose goal setting which I am already doing and getting rid of limiting beliefs.

Just as I was finishing this item this morning I was going to the gym. Normally I do body pump which is hard but not impossible and I forced myself to do body combat which again is very aerobic but we do have the odd break. I did it and felt very energised afterwards. The best thing is now I have cracked the problem and I know it is possible to do difficult classes one after another. My confidence has gone up immeasurably.

My next task, next week is body attack which is extremely hard followed by body combat which does have breaks. It is a very motivational book.

Highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's Customer Service is Rubbish!!!, 30 Dec 2009
M. Peoples - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Yourself Self-motivation (TYBU) (Paperback)
As far as I am concerned the product itself is fine, but the way Amazon have dealt with my issue have been incredibly lax to say the least. When I ordered these products, I received them a little late - and the reason why was because the courier decided to hide my package behind an object in my front basement, and the postman didn't put a card through my door saying where he had hidden my package. When I looked online to see that the packaged had been delivered, they informed me that the package was "hidden in a secure place in front of the house". After spending 2 days in the rain, my package was waterlogged, and the books certainly did not look brand new any more!

Now I am not saying that the resulting damage to the books was Amazon's fault, but I have sent an email to Amazon asking if I can send these books back to be replaced - and Amazon have completely ignored my request for this. Instead, they send me stupid emails asking me to review their products. Here is my review of this product:

"I'm sure that Teach Yourself Self-motivation would have been an adequate book - if it hadn't been damaged by water while in transit with Amazon. What makes matters worse, is that Amazon have completely ignored my request to replace these books with new books which haven't been damaged by water".

Teach Yourself Self-motivation (TYBU)
Teach Yourself Self-motivation (TYBU) by Francis Coombes (Paperback - 25 April 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01