4.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Fiction
I love Alexandra Potter's writing style, although sometimes the themes of the books are a little unusual. That's the beauty of fiction: it can allow you to escape from the confines of reality - Alexandra does this beautifully, yet fairly believably, in this book.

Published on 12 Jan 2009 by Clarissa

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, entertaining at times, but nothing special
I've just finished reading this book. It is a very light and easy read with the a good portion of funny comments or situation which made me chuckle and laugh a few times, but on the whole the book failed to impress me. A few times I caught myself raising my eyebrows and shaking my head in amusement at the main character Charlotte's way of thinking and/or behaving. I am...
Published on 27 Jan 2009 by yana_rock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Fiction, 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)

As I began to read Who's That Girl, I found myself reading too quickly - I'd adapted my reading style to the hyper main character, and the way I envisaged her talking! I found it easy to immerse myself in the book (to the detriment of my college work) and, against my expextations, didn't find the plot completely outlandish.

I don't want to give the story away, but would suggest that you give this book a try. It's easy to read, isn't too deep, and is an enjoyable way to pass some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read the book and love it!!!, 9 Jan 2009
Anita Cook (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
Just read Who's That Girl by Alexandra Potter and really love it. She hasn't disappointed with this latest one, just as much fun to read as her previous books but with a very unusual theme. I would highly recommend it to banish the winter blues and lose yourself to your imagination. How would we all feel faced with a situation like this. Read it and find out!!!!! you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and sharp, 18 Jan 2009
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
I read all Potter's books but I wasn't keen on Mr. Darcy only because I don't really like Jane Austen (shoot me now!). Who's that Girl is funny, warm and I like the premise. The other characters such as Beatrice and Miles are very well rounded too and I couldn't put it down. Plus I did laugh out loud several times on the tube. Nice one.

4.0 out of 5 stars even blokes can read this..., 4 Feb 2009
M. Davis (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
Ran out of books on the beach and read this which the wife had bought at Heathrow just before Xmas (in fact they were putting it on the shelves that day!).
Enjoyed the frentic London PR life and liked Bea, Charlotte's assistant as she reminded me of someone I know - same mannerisms, vocabulary and drinking problems!!! Good to see things from the female perspective from time to time. I enjoyed its light, fast flowing humour and would read future Potter books...

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaning, time travelling, romantic romp, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
Have you ever wondered what you might change about your life if you had the chance to give your younger self some much needed advice? Hindsight, is often a wonderful thing but it is pretty useless at amending something that has already happened. For Charlotte Merryweather her hindsight could remake her future and this is the basic premise of the book.

Ten years previously I was eighteen and there are loads of silly mistakes, relationships and outfits that with the benefit of hindsight I might have avoided, but such is life you can't change these things you just have to live with your decisions. This book gives Charlotte the chance to befriend her previous self; a road diversion doesn't just lead Charlotte to take a different route but sends her back in time, to be precise ten years earlier.

It's hard to imagine now just how naive and different everyone was ten years ago and Charlotte is no exception, now she is a high flying career orientated women with the future she has worked hard at attaining, but one that previously she wouldn't have dreamed her life would turn out like. Not only her life but the life of her friends as well, ten years changes everything.

This is chick lit at its best, this is the perfect book to relax by the pool or in the bath and just enjoy the story. It isn't anything that needs too much brain power, it is just a light hearted story that is meant to entertain. This didn't take me long to read, which is always a sign that I am enjoying something rather than dragging my heels.

If I had any criticism of this book it would be that it took me a couple of chapters before I was hooked, this book didn't instantly grab my attention and hold it. Also, Charlotte's character is a bit over the top and unlikable at the beginning but it doesn't take long to warm up to her.

This was the first Alexandra Potter novel I had read but since then I have invested in all her other books, I enjoy sometimes having something light hearted and entertaining to read and this ticks all of those boxes. It is a lovely time travelling romantic romp, that deserves an equally lovely four out of five stars.

I would completely recommend this book if you want something light and girlie to read. Don't expect too much from this book it simply is an entertaining, enjoyable but not spectacular novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 14 April 2010
M. Jenkins "Book Junkie" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
Another great book by Alexandra Potter. Very good story line. Realistic characters and it is full of twists and turns. I would recommend this if your looking for a light romantic comedy for while away on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Jan 2010
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
I read this a couple of months ago and its my all time favourite book. The style is brilliant, and the character of Charlotte Merriweather is easy to relate to. I read this in a week, and enjoyed every minute of it. There were so many twists and turns which made it always interesting, there was not a boring bit in it. It was a very unusual and original storyline which made it exciting and un-predictable, and I loved the way Alexandra mixed reality into magic, because it was unrealistic at the same time as being very believable. The writing flows perfectly and I couldn't put it down!

I would definately recommend this book, I loved reading it and will never forget this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fairytale for Big Girls, 8 Aug 2009
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
This is the third Alexandra Potter book that I've read and I love the way she makes the unbelievable, believable. I've just finished reading "Who's That Girl" and my poor dog kept having his walk delayed because I simply couldn't stop reading. Alexandra Potter's books are like Fairytales for big kids. Each one has an impossible situation that keeps recurring which helps the main character discover herself and ultimately meet her true love. In this case Charlotte, is an apparently successful PR guru who owns her own company, has plenty of money and a proper grown up boyfriend. She is also extremely neurotic, stressed and a complete worrier. As she's driving to work one day, roadworks cause her to be diverted which leads to her seemingly going back in time 10 years and meeting her younger self, who is much more relaxed and carefree. Charlotte sets about imparting the wisdom of her years upon her younger being however soon learns a thing or two herself and on the way meets her true love.

I LOVED this book. I'm sure some people would not enjoy the inplausibility of it all, but for those of you that are big kids at heart and enjoy a bit of make belief with some romance to boot, then this is for you. I think it's a real WINNER!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real pleasure, 27 Jun 2009
Jennifer Gorre (Paris - Barcelona - Geneva) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
This is simply one of the best novels I've ever read; it's funny and moving all at once and you will most likely feel a tad different afterwards... like way better =) My advice: don't miss out on this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read!, 21 Jun 2009
Caroline (Cologne, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's That Girl? (Paperback)
The book is a fun chick-lit read. I like Alexandra Potter's style. It's light and serious at the same time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Who's That Girl?
Who's That Girl? by Alexandra Potter (Paperback - 8 Jan 2009)
5.76