5.0 out of 5 stars Best horror I have read in a long time
This is undoubtedly, the best horror book I have read in a long time. It is not filled with knives, hatchets, the usual "modern" scenario. It is more of an old fashioned cult, satanic, ghost and psychological horror.

The plot was exciting as it weaved in and out of the unravelling mystery. Well written, the characters were well formed and I couldn't put it...
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by Free Spirit

3.0 out of 5 stars Good debut with ghosts and satanism
F.G. Cottam makes a pretty solid start with this debut novel, a gothic horror show, a detective story and a love story entwined; it is a story within a story within a story.

Four young female students and their tutor have been subject to a bizarre and horrific experience at the derelict Fischer House, one of the students has died as a result and the others are...
Published on 13 Dec 2009 by Mick Read

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars ghastly, boring, and a ludicrous ending to boot, 6 Oct 2011
Having lost a few hours of my life listening to the audiobook, my advice is to pass on this. I enjoyed this author's later novel "The waiting room" which had flair and originality. it is obvious at the end of this long long book that the author has painted himself in a corner so he gives us a "deus ex machina" which is completely ludicrous. The main character suddenly remembers he is endowed with magical powers and defeats the villain in a blaze of light. Wasn't that clever, mate?
Now this is the bin, please put your manuscript in there and off you go...

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 star book, 1 star ending..., 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: The House of Lost Souls (Paperback)
Everything was going so swimmingly, great build up, great descriptions, terrifying hauntings, flawed heroes... and then... blah. The End.
It all just reminded me of those school stories where you lost interest -or hit your word count- and suddenly discovered a superpower so everything was all right in the end half a page later.
A great creepy novel let down by the disappointing ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Plot..., 19 Dec 2010
Woolgatherer (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is about Paul Seaton, who becomes obsessed with unravelling the story of a long dead photographer, Pandora Gibson-Hoare. After a close encounter with a demon he goes into hiding, but is recruited by Nick Mason, a soldier whose sister has had a similarly traumatic experience and is now in terminal decline.

It is probably unreasonable to think that a story about magic should be plausible. Creatures of the underworld I could cope with, but there were just too many strange coincidences for my taste. For example, Father Lascalles, who is a sort of van Hesling character, turns up at opportune moments in Mason's life, and provides the vital clue that helps Seaton in the denouement. And why did Lucinda Grey, Seaton's girlfriend, choose to study Pandora before she had even met Seaton?

Although parts of the novel worked well, particularly Seaton's tracking down of Pandora's past, the ending was unsatisfactory. It felt as is, after a long build up, the writer suddenly realised that he had only a few pages left in which to finish the story and resorted to a blatant dues ex machina in order to extricate himself (and the hero) from a ticklish situation.

The writing was atmospheric (although references to popular music to set a time and place did become a bit wearing after a while), with some good uses of metaphor and imagery. The characters were also reasonably well drawn, particularly Mason and Lucinda Grey. I would have enjoyed the book more if only the same effort had gone into the plot.

A couple of picky points. There were a few occasions where the spell check had clearly come up with the wrong word (martialled instead of marshalled, for example), and it wasn't picked up by the editor. And I would have thought that a man born in about 1958 (even one born in Dublin, as was Seaton) would have known enough about World War II to realise that Young Mr Breene was obviously lying about his past; by 1943 Hawker Hurricanes had long since ceased operating in an air combat role over England.

3.0 out of 5 stars The House of Lost Plots, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: The House of Lost Souls (Paperback)
'The House of Lost Souls', is a ghost story set in three different time frames, the present day, the early 1980's and the 1920's - when it appears notorious black magician, Aleister Crowley,writer Dennis Wheatley and Klaus Fischer brought about the situation responsible for subsequent horrific events. I found this book suitably scary with excellent characterisation and a good plot, up to a point.

However I was profoundly disappointed in the silliness of the ending. It was as if the author suddenly became aware of an impending deadline and gave in, to a rather feeble conclusion. This being said, I enjoyed the opportunity to be taken back to my youth in the '80's with the various musical and fashion references included by the author - it was if nothing else a ripping yarn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frightening but flawed, 25 Jun 2008
K. Davies "Lagavulinlad" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This book has one of the worst opening chapters i have ever read. I thought that I was reading Andy Mcnab by mistake, but it is definately worth struggling through it as it soon becomes one of the most disturbing stories that I have ever read. It reads like a true story, even down to the appearence of historical characters, although I cant imagine what Dennis Wheatleys family will make of it. I can only assume that Mr Cottam has some serious legal people behind him.
Chapters of this book are reminiscant of the devil rides out, penned by Dennis Wheatley, I doubt if I will ever view this movie in the same light again.
I dont know if Mr Cottam intends to continue in the horror genre, but I will certainly keep an eye out for future novels. A very good debut novel indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!, 9 Mar 2008
I have just finished this book,read it in a day ....couldnt put it down,its brilliant,well written and so imaginitive.

Buy it...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Dec 2012
Read many great reviews for this, but was very disappointed, found it very tedious and disjointed. Wish I hadn't bought this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, yawn, yawn, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: The House of Lost Souls (Paperback)
I bought this having read some of the good reviews for it. Couldn't wait for it to arrive so I could get stuck into it. OH DEAR, it was one of the most tedious, long-winded, disjointed, unexciting, boring (I could go on!) novels I have ever read! I persevered to the very end but there was no redemption there either! What a load of codswallop! A massive disappointment. Do yourself a favour if you're thinking of buying it - don't! I actually bought another of Mr Cottams novels at the same time. The Waiting Room. Will be starting this one tonight - with the hope that this is not another one I have to plod through and waste several hours of my life! You only get a 2nd chance with me, Mr, Cottam!!
Joy.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: The House of Lost Souls (Paperback)
I like reading ghost stories but when i read this one, i feel so bored in the middle as most of the stories are out of the Fischer house. Not frightening at all...

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst ending ever?, 9 April 2008
The first part of this book is wonderful, i couldn't put it down. And then it all went a bit wrong. If the author had spent as much time on the story as on the unnecessary detail and gumph then i think the book could have been brilliant. The majority of the book is mind numbingly dull, i very nearly gave up on it but i really wanted to get to the end because i thought that, at least would be worth my persevering. Pah! It has to be the most ridiculously lame ending i've ever read, it honestly put me in mind of something a 9 year old would write - i felt cheated.

I get the impression that the author had the beginnings of a great idea for a story (and it is a great idea) but he just didn't know where to go with it.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

The House of Lost Souls
The House of Lost Souls by F.G. Cottam (Paperback - 6 Mar 2008)
7.21