Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 May 2015
I'm not altogether sure what to think of this book. It's about the battered wife of a cop who decides to run away, after 16 years of abuse. This, naturally, upsets the policeman, who comes looking for her. The book traces her life after leaving, and how she deals with her hubby when he finally finds her.

This wasn't a bad book, it's just while she was gone, Rose, the wife, bought a painting. This painting helped her deal with her husband, when push came to shove. That was my problem. The book could have been scary enough without it, but it feels like King couldn't see how the small Rose could have dealt the 280lb, 6'3" husband without her help, so he introduced the magical painting to help, and that felt like cheating.
on 9 July 1998
While I may be a little late in reading this book, "Rose Madder" kept me on the edge of my seat just wanting to know what was going to happen next. Mr. King's use of writing has always allowed me to use some imagination and, let me tell you, I pictured Rose's husband getting exactly what he deserved. It is a book that should be read by people in situations where they feel they can't get out of. Although hard at the beginning, Rose became the woman she had always had in her. Thank you Mr. King for making a book that I was glad to give one of my friends in the hope that she gets out of where she is and grows to be what she was meant to be all along.
on 13 April 1997
My favorite Stephen King books have always been his Dark Tower series; that is until these three came out. And what convenience to have them altogether.
Dolores Claiborne is wonderfully written from the main charactrer's view point. Insomnia definetly made it hard to sleep, couldn't put it down. And Rose Madder, may favorite of the three. Involved a case of domestic violence, a woman fighting for her life and freedom from a twisted cop.
A must read trio. King's best three books in one.
on 15 August 2001
So far I have read, Needful Things, Thinner, The Dark Half and Skeleton Crew. Yet, this book is definetly the best so far, this is the only king book I consider to have a good ending, of which is spread out over another chapter as a follow up on rose's future. a brilliant book and by all accounts buy it.It is also the only book I have that I want to read again, not to take it in better, but to experience the feelings I went through with each page turn. Don't miss it.
on 4 August 2001
As can be said for most of Stephen King's novels, the touch of the supernatural is not needed for this to be an evocative rendition of our lives, only maybe less so for this book, as the whole character of Rose Madder and her world (and her role in Norman's fate) spring from a dangerous paranormal source. I am halfway through this for the second time, and I would recommend it to anyone, only most of my friends have already read it!
on 18 February 2006
I thought this book was good because it was very interesting to read, and the drama King used was amazingly written and powerful. The reader could feel for Rose, as her psychotic husband gains in on her, closer and closer. And King brings the story into his own when, not leaving it to go on in to a boring dramatical mess, but to put it in a form of drama, horror, and fantasy. Now that's a genre.
on 26 July 1998
My friends, I read this novel when it came out and was completely stunned at what I read.. This is one of the few Stephen King books that will make you truly care about the character. Rose is a fighter. You want her to be ok and you feel sorry for her for being a victim. I just cant put into words how great this book is. I loved every minute of it and think it is definently worth checking out. ;o)
on 15 August 2000
A must read for all King fans.A step away from the norm, but a gripping tale of struggle against the odds and with King's style of a twist some-where in between. Rosie Daniels,fleeing from her violent,sick husband after 14years of hell and a miscarrage to boot,ends up having to face her fears when she has gone for refuge at a womans hostel,meets the man of her dreams and finds a new start,only to have to fight her past and her ex.A brilliant read
on 22 April 2009
What a superb read, I couldn't put this book down! Whilst some avid Stephen King fanatics are not keen on his books written from a womans perspective, I loved this book as much as I loved Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne. Maybe these books just appeal more to a woman?

Great storyline with so much packed in and no hint of the ending either.
on 21 April 2014
I read this book years ago, lost my copy of it and just had to read it again! The characters are vivid and believable, with the heroine, Rose, overcoming domestic abuse to reclaim her life.Add into the mix a psychotic estranged husband and a mysterious painting with supernatural qualities and you have a riveting read.A favourite Stephen King book.