5.0 out of 5 stars A book that never gets to see my bookshelf
Published on 15 Sep 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm, feel a bit diddled
i think i was expecting more revelation than i got in this. im a normal householder whose insulated the house, grows a bit of veg and has changed to low energy bulbs. not what i'd call being self sufficient-ish. but i found i knew most of the stuff in the book already other than the very useful tips on companion planting. without the recipes and plant growing tips i...
Published on 12 Mar 2010 by Adam Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that never gets to see my bookshelf, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
When 'The Self-Sufficientish Bible' came through the post I unpackaged it, and went to make a cup of coffee to drink while I read it. However, when I got back from the kitchen, my partner had already claimed the book as his own! An hour or so later he glanced my way and said 'It's a good book, this'. When I eventually managed to prise it out of his hands I spent hours going through it, reading and re-reading bits. I had expected it to be a bit like John Seymour's book, 'The Complete Guide to Self-Sufficiency' (another book I love), so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually had quite a lot more to offer to me, as a city-dweller. It hasn't yet made it to our bookshelves, spending its time between being read on the footstool, ready to be picked up next time I sit down. Calling it a 'bible' is so apt. It's a fantastic book to have.

As a 1st-year allotmenteer, the pages on growing food are extremely useful, with tips, guides and calendars presented in a friendly, non-patronizing manner. You almost feel you are being advised by friends. I am also a hobby-cook, and have successfully tested some of the recipes given. I'm not a fan of traditional-style cook books, which usually contain recipes with huge lists of the sort of ingredients a normal person just doesn't keep in stock, so it's quite refreshing to find a book containing recipes which use things I actually already have. The recipes also are based around seasonal eating, which is what a self-sufficient(ish) kitchen is all about.

Other chapters include home-brewing (something I tried unsuccessfully years ago and will be re-trying using Dave and Andy Hamilton's guides), environmentally friendly house keeping, energy, travel ..... the list goes on. I am particularly looking forward to trying out some of the smaller projects with my daughter, such as making an insect house, paper making and shrunken heads(!) for Hallowe'en.

I have recommended 'The Self-Sufficientish Bible' to everyone I see at the allotment and will continue to recommend it whenever the opportunity arises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Oct 2008
Nobody Famous (The West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
It's hard to praise this book enough. Easy to read, well laid out, full of ideas that not only can you do, but you also want to do. Andy and Dave Hamilton have successfully found a way to make going green accessible without preaching, or patronising or just getting boring.

For an idea of their style, go to their self sufficient-ish website. The book has the same relaxed feel to it.

Well done Andy & Dave Hamilton!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for wanna-be greenies, 24 April 2008
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
This book is a fantastic way to ease into a more self-sufficient lifestyle. It has been written in a friendly manner and is really easy to read.

Full of easy step-by-step projects and explanations in layman's terms. It makes everything seem so simple, easy and fun. Covering everything from growing herbs in old tires to solar water heating and home-made toys.

If you want to be greener but are daunted, then this book is perfect for you. It goes into more detail in places and gives relevant sources to find out more.

Once you open it though, it is hard to put it down again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all aspiring self sufficient livers, 28 May 2009
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
The selfsufficient-ish bible is essential reading for anyone considering the benefits of 'the good life'. Well written, easy to read, informative, but put aside a good few hours when it arrives because you wont be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my - what a beautiful way to espouse a thoroughly good idea!, 12 Sep 2008
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
When I got this book I just couldn't put it down. Not only is it beautiful (packed with gorgeous pictures) but it's jam packed full of good ideas. Everything (for any pocket) from installing clingfilm double glazing, making a bird table, a hay box cooker, homemade skin care, growing things, defeating slugs (if only there was a fool proof way!) - actually so many ideas to help you on the self sufficient route! You can dip in and out and take as much or as little as you need. I was unlucky to miss out on Andy and Dave's talk and foraging walk at the Dartington Ways with Words Festival - but based on their book I bet that was fab too. All in all a great book - I'll be giving some as presents. Is another one in the offing?

And - it isn't preachy or rammed down your throat. Very good things in my book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twins Create Green Revolution, 7 April 2008
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
Andy and Dave Hamilton, have created an eco friendly revolution with their new book "Self-sufficientish Bible". Not just scrumptious with their easy to follow bites of information on growing veg and being eco-friendly but also "good for you". The Hamilton twins provide support by incorporating a greener way of life to the urban environments the majority of us have to live in.
So you don't have a field? Get an allotment or grow Veg in your garden. Keep a couple of free range chickens,or if you can, ducks.
Live in a flat? Grow seeds on your windowsill and strawberry plants from a hanging basket. Save on electricity, and lower your fuel/food bills. I am very impressed with this book not only for its wide range of tips but also for the new outlook of city life it has given me.You can be in touch with nature and the environment where ever you live.
This is a must read for anyone who wants to create a greener way of life. Andy and Dave prove that playing your part for the environment is much simpler and much more fun than it might first appear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow and easy to do, 5 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
This is a fab book for those who are either wanting to be self sufficient, or those wanting to leave a smaller footprint on the earth.

The Hamilton brothers who wrote it have a great writing style that is easy to read and understand. Each section is easily digested and leaves you with a yearning to put it into practice.

The photos are demonstrative and show a little of the Hamilton Humour.

The Self Sufficient-Ish Bible is fantastic for those living in cities/rented accommodation. Both of the authors are in that position and they realise that no everyone has an acre of land, or their own property to pull apart and put back together, hence the philosophy of SelfSufficientish.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book - just one small reservation......, 27 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
This is a big fat green (both cover and contents!) book, beautifully produced and designed, a pleasure both to hold and to read. It promotes the green lifestyle in a sensible and achievable way. My only small reservation is that it is fairly high priced and if you are already committed to, or trying to commit to, eco-living, you will probably have much of this info in other books already.

This is a small niggle. You might like to send your other books to a charity shop and just keep this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is this not a TV series, 25 April 2009
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
This book has to be the future. It has information on everything that anyone could ever need to know in order to survive on their own. As a complete novice I found this book perfect for me, not to say that someone with a bit of knowledge would not benefit too. Everything is presented as if you are chatting to the authors over the fence.

This book is simply perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know to leave the rat race, 22 Jan 2009
Louise (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Selfsufficient-ish Bible (Hardcover)
Ok, so it's not going to automatically equip you to leave work and live 'the good life'; but this book is a great start. I love it and frequently dip back into it! It's not just about growing veg, nor is it about riding your bike everywhere instead of taking the car, but it's a completely holistic view of what you can do to help your planet and your wallet! Use one of the tips and you will be helping ... but I guarantee that once you start changing one thing, you will want to do more and more from this book. A great investment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Selfsufficient-ish Bible
The Selfsufficient-ish Bible by Dave Hamilton (Hardcover - 3 April 2008)
Used & New from: 3.51