4.0 out of 5 stars Copious detail but lack of theoretical elucidation, 24 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
We are currently using this book as our text for our Psychology AS-level class. the descriptions of the case studies are comprehensive and provide an excellent amount of detailed information. The introduction and evaluation sections are also useful. The only drawback is that although there are frequent allusions to the various major theories such as those of Piaget Social learning theory, Pavlov's operan conditioning theory etc. , there is no disntict explanation of those theories, making it challenging to understand completely. Nevertheless, it is a good book to get a grasp on the case studies, and could be usedin combination with Flannagan and Esyenck's Psychology for AS/A level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly detailed but maybe not for a teenager..., 1 Jun. 2005
D. Silkstone (Leeds) - See all my reviews
I'm currently studying AS level psychology with the exam board OCR. This enourmous text book by Richard Gross is an ideal companion for the course I am currently studying... if you can be bothered. This book is fantastic and full of detail. I know this having read excerpts dished out by my psychology tutor. We were told to buy the text book for reference and 'light reading' at home. This, however, is anything but light reading! I'm not saying this book isn't good or useful because it is, really, it is. However, the amount of detail needed for AS psychology is only a small amount in comparison and I have found that my Gross text book has been sat on my shelf unread for a year now. I spent almost £20 on this text book for my studies yet it was very unneccesary.
My advice to any students in my situation out there: Don't buy the book... there are other means of discovering the information you need such as FREE websites like [...] which covers every study in Gross' book for free, granted they are in less detail, but there is enough to get you the top grades on the course! Trust me, I've been through it!
Nevertheless, if you must get this book then i suggest you buy it second hand, I'm sure there are alot of AS psychology students out there with an unread Gross book on their hands who are willing to sell for cheap. I'm one of them!
This is a worth while book if you are truly interested in the 'Key Studies in Psychology'. However, if you are simply a student in search of a good grade, use a website - it won't cost you £20.

Key Studies in Psychology, 5th Edition
Key Studies in Psychology, 5th Edition by Richard Gross (Paperback - 28 Dec. 2007)
Used & New from: £15.19