5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Tale
Published on 22 May 2007 by Kevin M.

3.0 out of 5 stars too much tine
as for other
Published 2 months ago by marmalade

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Tale, 22 May 2007
Kevin M. (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Deepak is best known for presenting Eastern ideas to a Western audience with a clear vision and penetrating insight. When I saw this book at a local store, I just had to buy it, since I wanted to read how Deepak would convey his ideas in fiction - in retelling the tale of Buddha's journey to enlightenment. I found this book to be mesmerizing almost as if I was right there with the Buddha experiencing everything.

Buddhism has always interested me with its ethic of compassion, mindfulness and emphasis on meditation. So to understand the Buddha's journey in a contemporary tale has been most spell-binding. My own understanding of the Buddha started with Siddhartha a classic by Herman Hesse and I also loved a unique spiritual novel on compassion called Nexus: A Neo Novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Insightful, Inspiring, 28 Oct. 2008
Steve Roche (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buddha (Paperback)
Having long been drawn towards the peaceful ideology and practical approaches to living that buddhism offers (and having read the Hesse book) I wasn't sure about a fictionalised version of Buddha's life, but it works really well.
Chopra writes superbly, showing skill and sensitivity in putting across the ideas, especially in giving one a chance to understand what achieving enlightenment might actually mean.
I particularly liked his Epilogue where he speaks to the reader about the process of writing the book, and the short Practical Guide to Buddhism. I learned more from these 13 pages than from many hours of previous study and meditation with my buddhist friends!

4.0 out of 5 stars Opening your mind, 30 Sept. 2009
A. Snow (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
A thought provoking read that presents the background to a spiritual approach to life in line with the modern day growth in popularity of yoga and medition.

The way the book discusses spiritual concepts in the format of a story, makes it easy for readers of all backgrounds to open their mind to the content discuss and perhaps even see the benefits of adopting some of the approaches to life into their own.

Particularly interesting to me as a yoga and meditation enthusiast to understand the Buddhist background to this practice and way of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deepak Chopra inspires us once more., 3 May 2011
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
If you have ever enjoyed reading Deepak's wise words, then this book is a must have. Ever since I read 'Way of the Wizard' years ago, I have been recommending Chopra's books. The wisdom on Eastern philosophies he manages to relay through beautiful story telling is magnificent. What I also appreciate about his writing is the simplicity in the language he uses so that it may be accessible to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and easy to understand, 10 Jan. 2013
Sally Walker (Eastbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
An accessible and easy to understand fictional account of Buddha's life. Direct in approach though it is, it contains jewels of wisdom that really get you thinking long after you have stopped reading the passage containing the gem. I would say that this is a book to return to time after time and each time you would gain a greater understanding and awareness.

This book demonstrates so clearly how very relevant Buddha's path from his persona as Siddhartha, the prince who wanted for nothing in terms of worldy riches to an enlightened being is to our lives today. This is true particularly in the west, (although much of the east is adopting the west's `culture' for consumerism) where many want for nothing and everyday individuals have to make endless choices about what to drink, what to eat, what to watch on television, what to purchase online or offline, what to say in an email, twitter or facebook posting, who to follow next on twitter and on and on. We have a bewildering amount of commodities available to us to suit every income and yet we are no happier.

The end of the book contains a brief no-nonsense guide to what it is to be a practising Buddhist and what the ultimate objective of every Buddhist is. Perhaps more could have been said as to how to integrate Buddhist practice into our modern, busy and choiceful lives but the purpose of the book is to put flesh on the bones of what is known of Buddha's life. I believe that purpose has been fulfilled. What it will do for many is light an interest to find out more.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new telling of the classic story, 19 Nov. 2013
M. Mayne (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
I read Herman Hesse's Siddhartha many times growing up, I was surprised at how different this book was from what I had grown to associate with the 'sequence of events' from Buddha's life. They are very different, and yet, still follow the same path. This novel, as with all of Chopra's work, has given me much to reflect upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and beautiful, 7 Oct. 2012
Bob "Bobstar" (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
An easy to read and well explained journey. It has been written to appeal to those who are dipping their toe into the river of Buddha as well as those who already bath in the spiritual waters. A delightful story told simply with the right amount of depth to appreciate the journey of enlightenment.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUDDHA, 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
JUST STARTING ON MY JOURNEY INTO BUDDHISM, SO FOR A FIRST BOOK IT IS A NICE GENTLE INTRODUCTION, BUT I SUSPECT PARTS ONLY MADE SENSE BECAUSE SOME HAD ALREADY BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME. ALL IN ALL A GOOD READ MAKING ME REALISE I HAVE ONLY SCRATHED THE SURFACE

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 July 2009
Mr. Clayton L. Hill "Zampo" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
This book was easy to read and tell the storey extreamly well, I couldn't put this book down as it keeps you gripped at every step. A must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars reference book on Buddism, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment (Paperback)
once again I was recommended to get this book Amazon were brilliant with a choice of suppliers at realistic prices very pleased with the purchase which now graces a place in my library

Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment
Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment by Deepak Chopra (Paperback - 21 Aug. 2008)