4.0 out of 5 stars Great Old Fashioned Spy Thriller
This is a great change in pace against normal spy books. There are no wiz bangs and gorgeous women. It just revolves around old fashioned atmosphere and storytelling.

We follow the expolits of George Smiley, one of the Cold War's heroes, as he is tasked with finding a Soviet mole imbedded within MI6. He was ousted in a shake-up following the overthrow, and...
Published on 8 Nov. 2006 by J. E. Parry

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay if you know what's going on
I watched Film 2011 where they said that people had watched the film and were reading the book to work out what happened. I thought I would read the book first. Unfortunately I am now going to have to watch the film to try work out what happened in the book.

Very complicated, although The Tailor of Panama by the same author is a very easy read. I would also...
Published on 6 Nov. 2011 by John Meanwood

‹ Previous | 123 24 2530 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, 29 Feb. 2012
This book was a delight to read, although a trifle confusing. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes books that have action, deduction, and a little bit of everything really. Definitely one of the best books i've read in a long time, and now I'm reading The Honourable Schoolboy and i can't put that down either. John le Carre is a genius. Please please please give it a chance. An excellent book, as i have said too many times in this review. Absolutely fantastic. Amen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent production, 20 Mar. 2010
Mrs. F. Huxley (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have never managing to finish the book as I found it difficult to get into but I have always felt that I should read the novel as it is a classic so this seemed an excellent way to 'read' it without the struggle and it was brilliant.

This adapation was easier to follow and well cast. The characters came to life and the atmosphere created was wonderful. I've got the next book in the trilogy on audio and hopefully it is as good. Another quality audio production from the BBC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 12 Dec. 2013
I recently read 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' which I quite enjoyed, so I thought I'd give this one a try. However, I've now read 115 pages, hardly anything has happened, there's been a lot of text about irrelevancies, a lot of places where I've been left wondering what's happening, lots of characters who have come and gone. All in all, fairly pointless and not enjoyable to read. I'm about to bin it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tinker, Tailor..., 9 July 2013
This is a classic book and a great read. My problem was with Kindle - each time I re-opened the book I was informed that there was an error, to remove the book from my Kindle and then re-load from the cloud. OK once, but it became very 'wearing' when it was each time I opened the book. In the end I had to leave wireless on and not go back to the home page before closing my Kindle down. A real shame. I would give the author 5 stars, but Kindle only 1-2...

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 21 Feb. 2012
Takes quite a while to get into as it's a very slow start, and at times can be quite confusing as to who all the characters are. It's quite easy to put down but this isn't a good idea as then you lose the momentum and forget all the little pointers etc so it's better to try and read it quickly. Well written and by reading it, it meant I really enjoyed the film as I understood what was going on whereas lots of my friends just got confused and bored by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice dramatization of this classic, 26 Feb. 2010
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleased to be offered this by Amazon Vine, as I missed the original broadcast of this series on the radio last year. I've read the novel many times, and also enjoyed the BBC TV adaption, so this is a tale that's greatly loved by me (to such an extent that at times, I found myself reciting some of the dialogue along with the actors). For the sake of completeness, we should perhaps also mention the 1988 BBC radio dramatization (starring Bernard Hepton as Smiley), and I see that a cinematic adaption is apparently in development.

For the most part, it's a compelling dramatization, with some deft touches such as the intrusion of Smiley's unfaithful wife Ann into his interior monologue as he struggles to unravel that other tale of betrayal - that of the Russian mole within British Intelligence. As others have commented, Smiley has been associated with Alec Guinness (who played him in the TV version) for so long that any actor who steps into those shoes probably suffers in comparison: I thought, however, that Simon Russell Beale (who portrays him throughout this sequence of radio adaptions of Smiley novels) does a fine job here, but I was delighted to hear Kenneth Cranham, who gets the minor part of the bluff and dependable Mendel exactly right, to my ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Oct. 2014
Quite splendid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of spy fiction, 3 April 2012
It's a very well written book, I'll start by saying that. I've never been one for spy stories or thrillers before, but I really liked Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The characters are well done- I took them to heart quite quickly- and the story flows very well. After finishing this I found myself missing the characters, and actually went out and bought the next book (The Honourable Schoolboy) in "The Karla Trilogy". I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, 5 Dec. 2011
I made a conscious decision to avoid watching the film before reading the book (in hindsight perhaps not the wisest choice!), however, this is a truly splendidly written book with more twists and turns than most of the same genre.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who truly enjoys the complexities of the english language, as well as those who love the intricacies of a great spy novel!

Next step, the film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Mar. 2015
Amazing book!

‹ Previous | 123 24 2530 | Next ›

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carré (Paperback - 21 Sept. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01