4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised
An avid Fiona Walker fan, like many of her readers I have been fairly disappointed with her Oddlode series, and hadn't planned on reading her newest one, 'Love Hunt'. But, on seeing it at the airport before it's published release date, I couldn't help myself, and was pleasantly surprised.
Published on 13 April 2009 by K*T Starlett

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to move on from the country...
Like many readers I adore Fiona Walkers pre-Oddlode books, especially Kiss Chase and the French books which I periodically re-read. I really wasn't going to waste my money on a FOURTH Oddlode novel, but when a gift certificate coincided with the publication date, temptation proved too much.

If like me you were hoping for a return to form, you may be...
Published on 3 May 2009 by lisa atkinson-brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 13 April 2009
This review is from: Love Hunt (Hardcover)
Like the book of Walker's I have enjoyed least, 'Tongue in Cheek', it features several main characters and a longwinded complicated storyline. However, unlike that book, it focuses on one character I warmed to the most, Trudy Dew, who I cared about enough to want a happy ending for.
Being the last in a series of four books about the same village and characters has it's downsides- there was no more than a brief passing mention of characters such as Ellen, heroine of 'Lots of Love', despite her being close friends with some of the main characters. And unanswered questions from previous books needed to be tied up, adding to the books already hefty weight, which as ever felt a hundred pages or so too many. This would have been aided by cutting the number of characters and superfluous subplots, especially Pheeley's ridiculous slim-Fast in the New Forest! I also felt that the epilogue was largely uneeded and squashed the last of the loose ends into a few confusing pages. If it wasn't by Fiona Walker, and wasn't being compared to her last couple of books, it probably would have got 3 stars.
Readers hoping to get a return to books such as 'Kiss Chase' and 'Well Groomed' will be disapointed. But largely well-rounded and likeable characters (despite several unlikely affairs), a plot with enough unexpected twists and turns to keep the pages turning (although not as quickly as it could have) and make me want to get to the end, despite it's length, and a satisfying ending all added up to a book that pleased me more than I was expecting from Fiona's previous couple of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism!, 9 Jun 2009
This review is from: Love Hunt (Hardcover)
Having thoroughly enjoyed all the other books in the series I was very much looking forward to this one. So much so I brought the hard back because I couldn't wait for the paperback to come out and for me it didn't disappoint. I loved Trudy right from the start which always makes a difference to how much you enjoy a book and was keen to see flipper's story continue having got to know him in Four Play. My only complaint would be the lack of Ellen and Spurs something which I thought was strange given Pheely and Rory's involvement, but all in all I really enjoyed it and hope to see an ending to Rory's story in a future book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to read again, 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: Love Hunt (Hardcover)
A brilliant read as again Fiona Walker comes up trumps with a character driven saga of life in the cotswold villages of upper and lower odlodes.Readers of the previous books will be familiar with plenty of the original characters with a few new ones thrown into the mix.This makes for an entertaining and racy romp from the riding stables to the cottages and country houses of the well heeled and sometimes impoverished upper and middle classes ,For fans of imperfect heroines with hangovers and bad hair days it will not disappoint as bad behaviour and sex and deceit abound in this fabulous update cant wait for Fiona Walkers next book this will bring everything up to date

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to move on from the country..., 3 May 2009
This review is from: Love Hunt (Hardcover)

If like me you were hoping for a return to form, you may be disappointed. Personally I lost interest well befoe the half way mark and pretty much speed read to the end. Although we are introduced to MANY new characters, some remain - however, the more endearing characters such as The Wykes, Truffle and Ellen are absent leaving us with dreary Anke, slimey Giles and sulky teen Faith. Some characters have undergone personality changes: blue haired, organic earth-mother Pixie has transformed into an upper class, Joanna Lumley type hell bent on seduction.

There are a couple of tedious, long winded treasure hunt tales, some nonsense about a sex-guru with a fat fetish and lots of people making each other miserable. If I was one of the many lovely horses featured, I would be deperate to be sold on.

If you do get to the end, there is quite a sweet little section that emphasises friendship over love, but other than that I have no idea what motivates any of these people and that is the real problem with this book.

Ms Walker really needs to pack up and move on from this silly village, but I guess while we continue to buy she will be encouraged to write more. If you really feel that you must read any more of this odd load of country confusion, I would suggest that you save your cash until the new Jilly Cooper is published (these books are a VERY pale imitation of her Rutshire novels) and join your local library.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read!, 31 May 2009
S. hamilton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Hunt (Hardcover)
Another good book from Fiona Walker, it was highly entertaining and i was hooked from start to finish (about 10 hours of non stop reading). Its always a good sign when you finish a book and then go back and read your favourite bits again! I was also happy that the more annoying characters from the previous books (Pheeley) were kept to a minimum which meant we found out more about the characters I was more interested in such as Trudy. Can't wait for her next book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please write a detective novel, 17 July 2010
C. E. Mainwaring (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Hunt (Paperback)
I loved French Relations.
I really enjoyed Kiss Chase.

What on earth is this?

The plot reads like it has been written by a drunken weight watcher. Most of the book seems to be about people going down four dress sizes in random ways, really, really random. And the repetitive descriptions are like an exhausting drinks party, this is x she likes vodka and pity, this x's friend's parents they get up early and eat tea, guffaw, ooo this is a pop star, this is a thin uptight mummuy on for a s**g. Sack the editor. Stop being so lazy. You are so lucky to be published. Write something marvellous, not this smoothie of Jilly Cooper and horse manure with a touch of slimming world. You have talent and this is AWFUL. I can see her paying for her Zoffany wallpaper with the proceeds ready to churn out another abysm, neatly set up at the end of the book, when the spare bedroom needs a new carpet.

Please please Fiona Walker, write something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Love Hunt (Kindle Edition)
I love fiona walker books, they keep you interested all the way through, I struggle to put them down. I would recommend this and all her books to anyone and everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love Hunt (Paperback)
Read this on holiday absolutely brilliant, very funny, thoroughly enjoyed it, couldn't put it down. Have read several of hers all funny and worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite guilty pleasures., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love Hunt (Kindle Edition)
The fourth book following on from the original story 'Lots of Love'. They're my guilty summer pleasures, but certainly read them in order first. 'Lots of Love', 'Tongue in Cheek', 'Four Play' and 'Love Hunt', and now most recently, 'Kiss and Tell'. They are so witty and clever, and they're quite literally the best chick-lit on the market. Fiona Walker is a very good writer and she describes scenes beautifully. If you're looking for something smart and romantic to read curled up in an armchair or on a beach then these five books are it! Bit naughty, so not for those who are adverse to a few uh, romantic scenes. Very feel-good and loved up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Hunt, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Love Hunt (Kindle Edition)
I love all Fiona Walker books & unlike some enjoyed the Oddlode stories but Tash & Hugo will always remain my favourite characters

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love Hunt
Love Hunt by Fiona Walker (Paperback - 27 May 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01