5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for fans
My husband bought this book for me as a Xmas present as I'm always raving about Russell but never did I think I would get such an honest insight into his life, it made me laugh alot but cry too, it also helped me to understand why Russell is the person he turned out to be.
As I was laughing so much reading it my skeptical husband decided to read it,hes not a Russell...
Published on 9 Mar. 2010 by Mrs. E. L. Price

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very frank
A very frank book about Russell's life, He writes like he talks and leaves nothing to the imagination.
Certainly not for minors or easily embarrassed readers!
Published 21 months ago by Heidi Lewis

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, inspirational and very, very funny, 16 Nov. 2008
M. L. Banks (Adelaide, South Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
This is the best book I've read in a very, very long time. Brand's conversational style peppered with hilarious insight and humour is phenomenal. He holds the narrative well throughout, and unlike other autobiographies, he manages to tell the story of his life without that boring "and then this happened, and then that happened and then this happened" rhythym. He seamlessly weaves in and out of his memories and anecdotes, without leaving the reader in a state of confusion.

I have read a few online articles where the reviewers have thought he came across as arrogant and narcissistic, but truly when you read this book you realise that he is actually quite sensitive and insecure in himself.

I have been disappointed by the closing chapters of most of the autobiographies I have read - they often have a feeling of being unfinished. This book isn't one of those. The last paragraph is poignant, and leaves you feeling like this part of Brand's life is closed. I felt shivers up my spine when I read the last sentence, and was sad to have finished - and that's when I know I've just read a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A manifesto for the individual., 27 Dec. 2007
pete "big blue pete" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
Im gripped by this book! It gives the reader the ability to experience him at their own pace. To stop and contemplate his mastery of word play rather than be left shellshocked by the manic whirlwind of mania that he sometimes succumbs to when performing, He knows he shouldn't say it but the drug of performance leaves him giddy with the thrill of self destruction. Who will save him when he says the un-sayable, for a laugh. I love his compassion. He is a genuinely gifted writer, and is able to draw analogies that are both insightful and sharply funny. It is in fact one of the first biographies I have read that would I think would make an excellent animation, say in the style of Belleville Rendezvous. I think the guys a one off genius and I have a huge amount of respect for him!!!! Actually having now finished it, hes quite irritating and self indulgent. He will probably be a minor flash in the pan and his stand up is terrible. its purely the shock value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's not get carried away here!, 8 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
If you like celebs who are full of silly mannerisms, painfully narcissistic, hedonistic, asinine and basically all-out attention seekers, then THIS is the book for you.

Don't forget though, trees have been chopped down to make it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrogant rubbish, 23 Oct. 2008
Cal (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to reading this book. I picked it up in the airport, settled uncomfortably into my seat on the plance, and began to read.
I was disappointed. RB comes across as egotistical, arrogant and completely unlovable.
I gave up after an hour's perseverence, and decided that the airplane's duty free brochure was less irritating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel, 15 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
If I'd been able to rate this 0 stars, I would have.
Truely awful man, risible cash-in of a book.
The title says it all. It is not ironic, it is moronic. No thought whatsoever has gone into this piece of junk.
Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
I picked up this book hoping to know more about Russell, I wasn't expecting much luckily because it meant I wasn't let down. I enjoyed this book for the first hundred pages. It had me laughing from the first line but after a while the jokes became dull and the pace very slow.
There is some extremely funny accounts of events that happened in Brands life, even when hes talking about his drug addiction he is being hilarious.
Sadly it let me down after a while and I never finished reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 14 Feb. 2009
Erick Elhard "carpe diem" (thousand oaks, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
excellent read. brand is frank and honest, two things always appreciated in an autobiography. he infuses his humor to keep the book moving at a breakneck pace -- i didn't want to put it down. relentless self-deprication and insane over-confidence are the dichotomous themes that make this not only an interesting look at the life of an entertainer, but also a memoir that touches on the condition of youth and celebrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of hope and redemption - a lovely Christmas gift, 12 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Russsell Brand's comedy so my review will be coloured by that. I loved the book. It's so honest and written in a simple, gracious style. All the jokes are at his own expense, for being, to use his word, a twit.

He has been sexually abused, his father's parenting was lax and wildly inappropriate, his single mother was deeply loving but unable to control her wayward son. She was seriously ill with cancer three times as he was growing up and he was told by his grandmother this was his fault because he was so naughty. Yet he never blames his sometimes bad behaviour on these external circumstances but takes full responsibility for his actions.

The most touching part for me is when he has been told he has six months to live because of his drug abuse and he is standing crying sliently. His agent John Noel puts his arms round him and tells him everything will be okay. Russell goes off to rehab and goes on to free himself from his addictions to alcohol and narcotics. Since then - five years ago now - he has regularly attended NA and AA meetings. He has the humility, as a celebrity, to sit in church halls and council offices with other addicts from all walks of life and admit his weakness and ask for help.

It's funny, honest, well written, inspiring and moving. What else would you want from a book this Christmas?

4.0 out of 5 stars I got this for christmas, 27 Mar. 2008
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I got this for christmas and thought it was absolutely hysterical.. it read as though Russell was in the room talking to you in his very funny and conversant manner. Even if you're not a fan of Russell Brand I recommend reading his book, even if only to understand why he is so crazy and where he is coming from!! I'd also recommend reading Tino Georgiou's bestselling novel--The Fates--if you haven't yet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss this at your peril, 2 Feb. 2008
Joanna S. Wardley "Jay H" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
Tragic, hilarious, candid and a distinctly uncomfortable read, this is a warmhearted and human tale, and a book tailor-made for anybody who has ever felt 'different'. Powerful and affecting, it is a brief peek into the mind of genius who invites us to marvel at his own bewilderment as to how he has dealt with enormity of his own magical mind and the curse that it has exacted. Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

My Booky Wook
My Booky Wook by Russell Brand (Paperback - 10 July 2008)