4.0 out of 5 stars A book I actually finished! Must be good.
I am a very late comer to Russell Brand. I first became aware of him a few years ago on a very rare occasion. I was watching trashy TV ( Big Bros Little Bro). I saw this rediculous character with his seemingly contrived style and irritatingly strong accent and switched channels sharpish. My narrow mind had already sealed its oppinion upon this man as nothing more than a...
Published on 21 Nov. 2011 by Mr. Aj Des Forges

3.0 out of 5 stars Life in the fast lane, but also what its like to have mental health problems?
I don't fancy Brand but I sometimes like what he has to say, and the courage he has to say it. I liked the book more than I expected. I would never have bought this book except it was 49 pence in my local charity shop.

In the general chaos, there are a few intelligent and interesting observations, some funny parts, and even some passages of great writing...
Published 12 months ago by minty

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars very good read, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
I don't want to review this book y t u making me do it leave me alone plz . .

5.0 out of 5 stars My booky wook, 28 Dec. 2007
Li Byrne "Wudegirl" (Letchworth, Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I got this for christmas and thought it was absolutely hysterical.. it read as though Russell was in the room talking to you in his very funny and conversant manner.

Even if you're not a fan of Russell Brand i recommend reading his book, even if only to understand why he is so crazy and where he is coming from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, entertaining., 11 Dec. 2007
yaleey (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
An excellent read - I enjoyed it becasue it is honest, well written and funny. Russell writes very openly about how his different childhood, experiences at schools, adolescense, dealing with addicitions, jobs, awkward/embarassing situations have all shaped him into who is he today - the best success of all is overcoming the demons. I'd definetly reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A much enjoyed Booky Wook., 29 Nov. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I love reading, but I'm generally not one for Autobiographical type books.However,as I have been listening to Russell's Radio 2 show over the past year or so and thoroughly enjoy them, I thought this would be worth a read.This book is at points heartbreaking and at other points had me laughing out loud.I found it really amazing and almost quite inspiring that someone who has been through so many horrible and traumatic things in life can overcome it all and tell us his tale with such honesty.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Booky Wook :- ] Brillant !, 10 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
Okay, so Russell Brand might not appeal to everyone. After reading this book you realise what an extraordinary life he has led and what a clever person he is too. Although at times you sit there im amazement or kind of freaked out, you have to love his honesty and his persistance in life which really shines through in this book. He has done a excellent job of putting his life down on paper and showing the good and bad of it . WELL DONE !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 28 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
Got this for Christmas and couldn't put it down. I read it within 24 hours. It's a fascinating insight and intelligently written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, inspirational and very, very funny, 16 Nov. 2008
M. L. Banks (Adelaide, South Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
This is the best book I've read in a very, very long time. Brand's conversational style peppered with hilarious insight and humour is phenomenal. He holds the narrative well throughout, and unlike other autobiographies, he manages to tell the story of his life without that boring "and then this happened, and then that happened and then this happened" rhythym. He seamlessly weaves in and out of his memories and anecdotes, without leaving the reader in a state of confusion.

I have read a few online articles where the reviewers have thought he came across as arrogant and narcissistic, but truly when you read this book you realise that he is actually quite sensitive and insecure in himself.

I have been disappointed by the closing chapters of most of the autobiographies I have read - they often have a feeling of being unfinished. This book isn't one of those. The last paragraph is poignant, and leaves you feeling like this part of Brand's life is closed. I felt shivers up my spine when I read the last sentence, and was sad to have finished - and that's when I know I've just read a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A manifesto for the individual., 27 Dec. 2007
pete "big blue pete" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
Im gripped by this book! It gives the reader the ability to experience him at their own pace. To stop and contemplate his mastery of word play rather than be left shellshocked by the manic whirlwind of mania that he sometimes succumbs to when performing, He knows he shouldn't say it but the drug of performance leaves him giddy with the thrill of self destruction. Who will save him when he says the un-sayable, for a laugh. I love his compassion. He is a genuinely gifted writer, and is able to draw analogies that are both insightful and sharply funny. It is in fact one of the first biographies I have read that would I think would make an excellent animation, say in the style of Belleville Rendezvous. I think the guys a one off genius and I have a huge amount of respect for him!!!! Actually having now finished it, hes quite irritating and self indulgent. He will probably be a minor flash in the pan and his stand up is terrible. its purely the shock value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's not get carried away here!, 8 Dec. 2007
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
If you like celebs who are full of silly mannerisms, painfully narcissistic, hedonistic, asinine and basically all-out attention seekers, then THIS is the book for you.

Don't forget though, trees have been chopped down to make it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrogant rubbish, 23 Oct. 2008
Caroline (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to reading this book. I picked it up in the airport, settled uncomfortably into my seat on the plance, and began to read.
I was disappointed. RB comes across as egotistical, arrogant and completely unlovable.
I gave up after an hour's perseverence, and decided that the airplane's duty free brochure was less irritating.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2427 | Next ›

My Booky Wook
My Booky Wook by Russell Brand (Paperback - 10 July 2008)