Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2014
Great, Thanks!
Excellent read
on 13 December 2007
I find him really funny on the TV and love his style.

However reading his book just made me feel sick.

He is a souless, selfish awful man that cares about no one other than himself.

Well done for coming out of drug addicition, but the basic man underneath is just vile.

I wish I didn't read this book.
on 28 April 2014
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”
― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

...Exactly how I feel about this book. I really wish I was his friend. x
on 8 December 2007
I could wax lyrical about the brilliant Russell Brand all day, but I'll concentrate on 'My Booky Wook'...this will, I predict, in a few decades be heralded as one of the greatest celebrity autobiographies in print. Russell takes through an odd childhood which shows a moving and devoted love towards his endlessly-adoring mother and a confused love towards his equally-confused father. We journey with Russell through his time at drama school, where drugs and an addictive and anarchic personality saw him unable to conform. Finally, we are treated to an incredibly personal view of his forced recovery from drug addiction which lapsed into sex addiction.....throughout Russell doesn't flinch from telling us exactly what made heroin so inviting and at the same time so horrendous. If you were a fan before this book you'll love him more now, and if you believed the critics before reading it, you certainly will have changed your view by the end.

Brilliant man, fantastic book.
on 16 November 2007
As a reviewer I read this for a well-known magazine. Russell is at first glance an arrogant, chauvenistic PIG! But this book breaks your heart, makes you scream with laughter and leaves you with a sense that there is a lot more to the deviant character we see every day. Brilliant!
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2007
I got this for a Christmas present - well OK I did drop a few fairly heavy hints like 'I would really like My Booky Wook for Christmas'.

As luck would have it I started a streaming cold on Christmas Day and spent all of Boxing Day in my PJ's with Russell. What more could a girl ask for? Vicariously experiencing the highs and highs of Russells extreme lifestyle and behaviour while curled up snivelling in front of a roaring fire was wholly entertaining. I read the whole book right through as it is completely compulsive and was really disappointed when it came to an end.

At last someone has explained in a sense that I could absolutely understand why people take (and keep taking) addictive substances, particularly heroine, other than the obvious effects of physical addiction and why they might be reluctant to give up.

He writes from the heart, I couldn't read it without thinking at times 'yes, I have felt like that too'. His use of language is fantastic and the words flow easily from the page making this a really great read. It is so inimitably Russell Brand that you can almost feel him in the room reading the words aloud to you. I wish!
on 14 September 2009
To say this guy is one-note would be the mother of all understatements. In every single medium he has performed in (and it seems like he's done them all) he presents the same tired affected act of dandyish fop who uses lots of makey-up words to hilarious comic effect. He's a modern day version of that character from the fast show whose catchphrase was "Where's me washboard?" He also has the rather unfortunate habit of publicly airing the most tawdry, obscene and disgusting details from his private life. Who in christs name wants to know these things? Desperate, pathetic and just all-round godawful.
on 13 August 2008
If you can get over the fact that this is at heart a book about a man complaining that he has had meaningless sex with too many gorgeous young women, this is actually a fantastic book. Extremely easy to read, at times insightful, at othertimes laugh out loud funny. Always entertaining.
on 4 January 2008
Ignore these 1* reviews, they are talking utter tripe. If you didn't like him before - why bother reading it!!!

I read this book after i saw it in a shop window, and thought it was great.

If you like his stand up or telly shows you'll love it. He writes like he talks.

BRILLIANT BOOKY WOOK - THANKS RUSSELL!