5.0 out of 5 stars A circus mystery
Catriona Mcpherson gets it right again ! Spot-on 1920s background , with a cool, rather wry lady detective getting caught up in the doings and misdoings of a small circus "resting" over the winter months. I like this author's style , the impeccable background , and Dandy's compassion . She may be a snob , but she is also a very likeable human being.
Published on 14 Feb. 2010 by E. A. M. Clark

2.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas but poorly-executed
Published 16 days ago by Jennifer

5.0 out of 5 stars A circus mystery, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Winter Ground (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery 3) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A WITTY & ELEGANT READ, 9 May 2009
K. E. Campbell (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is the first Dandy Gilver novel I've read, and I was attracted by the elegant winter-blue and white cover. It is a thoroughly charming novel, beautifully written, and Dandy is a delight - witty and ever so slightly dotty! The colour and glamour of circus life seeps vibrantly through the pages, adding to the gathering momentum of the story - which kept me guessing right up to its poignant end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 19 Feb. 2009
The Dandy Gilver series gets better and better. The developing character of Dandy Gilver reflects the contemporary increasing emancipation and independence of women and keeps this series fresh. The circus setting is well researched. The social history, mores of the time, and language also authentic. All of this with a light touch without descending into pastiche, which makes for an enjoyable and intelligent read. The plot is clever,with many twists, and an unexpected solution. The cast of characters colourful and intriguing. I am looking forward to following Dandy further. Thanks, Ms Mcpherson.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas but poorly-executed, 8 Jan. 2015
This book started out promising… set in older days with a circus that stayed at a neighbour's estate during their winter months and a mystery that happens. I really liked the first part of it, but I found that the writing and characterisation got weaker as the book dragged on. I found the writing to be lazy, but there were some great ideas…just not executed well

1.0 out of 5 stars The Winter Ground, 23 Feb. 2014
Read this book as it was a local book club selection. Whilst some in club liked book I did not like it at all

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm trying to get through this book!, 26 May 2010
I loved the idea of this book, the circus and historical setting but reading it is hard work. I don't feel like the story is getting anywhere, just going over old ground, I guess I expected the pace to be faster.
I dislike the main character, am I supposed to?
I will finish the book to find out who did it and I could change my mind...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant adventure, 26 Mar. 2010
I adore Dandy Gilver books! There's nothing bad to be said about them. They're exciting, scary and witty all at once and Dandy us a fabulously likeable heroine.
That said this tale about a circus troup is probably my least favourite of the series so far. My particular favourite being Bury Her Deep. I would highly recommend this book and indeed the whole series to anyone who is a fan of historical murder mysteries and heroines with more than a bit of wit and gumption!

The Winter Ground (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery 3)
The Winter Ground (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery 3) by Catriona McPherson (Paperback - 8 Jan. 2009)