Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 October 2007
It was a sheer pleasure to read the triolgy of Robert Douglas,s life, could not put the books down, just hope Robert lives to a hundred so we can have another chapter in his life.
on 20 January 2008
All three books were a joy to read. Easy to read and , as he and I are almost the same age, covering very familiar times. These books restore your faith in mankind.
on 29 January 2009
I discovered and bought Robert Douglas's autobiographical trilogy (of which this is part 3) for my grandmother. The books have now been passed round all of her friends and thoroughly enjoyed. I doubt I have ever bought a better or more appreciated present. Fascinating story, engaging writer, especially of interest to people with a Glasgow background or link from WW2 onwards. Highly recommended.
on 5 September 2007
As good as the two previous instalments, same style, a nice easy read.

Some good humour and some darker moments. If you haven't read the first two you could start with this one too.

So that'll be a Recommended, then. Thanks very much, pal.
I don't know where to begin - this was the first book I discovered written by Robert Douglas and to say it 'drew me in' is an understatement. This book, and as I have since discovered, other books written by Mr. Douglas, are simply like sitting listening to an old friend chatting to you. His tales of his times in the Prison service have truly left me enthralled: I've read many autobiographies of Service life, Police life, etc., but this book does really leave every other one standing. It truly does remind me of old times talking to old friends and saying, "Hang on 'til I make another pot of tea!"
After reading "At Her Majesty's Pleasure" and being so very satisfied with this book, I sought out other books written by Mr. Douglas and every single one of them is a worthwhile read. I passed one on to my sister and as she remarked, "The things he writes about bring memories of our childhood straight back!" As I then commented to her remark, "When I'm reading Mr. Douglas's books I often find the book laying down by my side and my memories drifting right back to childhood memories he has reignited!"
I can heartily recommend every single book by this author.
on 3 April 2010
when I read Robert Douglas's first two books....night song of the last tram and somewhere to lay my head (both wonderful and compulsive) I was unsure about 'at her majesty's pleasure' I felt it was going to be 'a mans type of story', oh was I wrong....it was brilliant. Robert Douglas is a fantastic writer, you are taken away into the story and feel very much a part of it. It is Robert's life and strife, good and bad, and very very interesting, especially on how he handled being in contact with so many notorious criminals, and how he dealt with his failing marriage. I recommend all of his books, there is so much to them. So many serious, interesting and funny bits. looking forward to more books by Robert Douglas, as I have read all four he has written.

At Her Majesty's Pleasure
on 5 May 2014
i never really read books but if someone says this is good i will read it Robert was recommended
i have read Roberts 3 autobiography's and his 3 fiction books i have read all the books in the order they came out which i think helps i am from Edinburgh so i never thought a book about growing up in Glasgow would appeal but they are all excellent and would appeal to any body that grew up in Scotland or descends from Scotland i have bought some for people too as i think it a must read loved all 6 of his books i felt i was there in the story's i have cried and laughed till tears streamed down my face hope Robert is working on number 7
WELL DONE TO THIS WEE LADDIE FI GLASGOW YOUR MAMMY WOULD BE PROUD
on 7 June 2015
I bought three copies of this at very low price ,and one was an autographed copy by the author. Two were for gifts, one for a retired prison officer, and one for a friend whose father had been a prison officer. The other for myself, as I enjoy the easy informative style of this author. It's the sort of book I find hard to put down, and easy to read more than once. The author bares his soul about his own human failings and his career in a rewarding but harrowing profession.
on 6 September 2009
Robert Douglas brings us up to date with this final installment of his autobiography. This book, like his others, is easy to read, joyful and poignant, and gives an account of his life and loves in an open and unbiased way, all the while underpinned by his obvious continuing love and gratitude for his ma. Thank you, Robert and long may you continue.

Alan Giles
on 4 July 2011
Having just finished this book I felt I had to let everyone know how great it was. In fact all three books were very nostalgic to me as I am the same age as the author and also born in Maryhill ther were so many things that took me back to my childhood and teen years I laughed a lot at his way of describing incedents but there were also tears at times too. I think the whole three books were TERRIFIC... Thanks ...

This is the first time I have felt so much about something I have read that I had to write a review.