5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Sara Paretsky
Published 6 months ago by jillhazeljill

3.0 out of 5 stars Another in the series
Not quite as good as her usual books (in my opinion)
I am usually rivetted by her heroine's actions and motivations but just couldn't get into this one.
Published 6 months ago by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Another in the series, 22 Mar 2014
Not quite as good as her usual books (in my opinion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Sara Paretsky, 8 Mar 2014
This was a very good read, I just could not put the story down.. I always enjoy the V.I. tales and this was a good as all the rest of the books, fast action, a real female hero who can deal with the bad guys the way I would like to be able to. A really good read. I do hope there are some of her books that I have not read yet because she really keeps up her very high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book, 19 Nov 2013
excellent read - this author never lets you down. quirky, strong female PI and as always twisting plot - gives the reader enjoyment book after book

5.0 out of 5 stars just great!, 15 Sep 2013
Just a great book... The plot, the characters and even the background are very well put together and most enjoyable... Will now search for a follow up book by same author!

3.0 out of 5 stars V.I. Warshawski and a family obligation, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Killing Orders: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (Paperback)
V.I gets called in by her aunt (on her mother's side#, who wants her to clear her name from the suspicion of stealing from her workplace, a cloister, by swapping stock worth millions with fake ones.
V.I., at her best when driven by feelings of obligation and guilt - to family or friends who make demands on her loyalty, refuses to let go of the case even when Aunt Rosa tells her to back down.
Why does Rosa hate her mother - and thereby V.I. herself - so much? Why did Rosa suddenly change her mind about the case? Did someone pressure her #anyone who can pressure Rosa to do anything must have some powerful bargaining cards...)
And does the murder of an old friend of V.I. have anything to do with the case? The friend's grieving parents put additional pressure on V.I's fine-tuned sense of guilt.
And oh - Lotty's charming uncle Stefan shows up. And gets hurt. More guilt for V.I, more anger from Lotty, as V.I. unravels family secrets both her own and others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Killing Orders: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (Paperback)
A great read. Gripping, hard-boiled, humane and unpretentious.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a sucker for Kathleen Turner's voice..., 7 Sep 2010
And V.I. Warshawski is the perfect verhicle for her talents... first broadcast in 1991 it just seems to mature with age... a rare vintage... enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very much a matter of taste, 28 Jun 2011
V I Warshawski is a female private investigator in Chicago. This mystery tale is told in part dramatisation and part narrative and was vaguely reminiscent to me of Raymond Chandler movies in that respect.

She is called in by an aunt to help prove the aunt didn't steal some securities and replace them with forgeries. V I has occasional conversations with her dead mother in trying to figure out what to do, particularly regarding family relationships which are strained to say the least hmm... She is also very politically correct in her thinking and expression and this seems to be a part of the aim of the (audio) book i.e. to promote that agenda. I found the writing style and characterisation to be shallow and conveyed an attitude of "I'm being so smart in writing this" kind of smugness.

The drama, with the exception of Martin Shaw's dulcet tones is played out in grating American accents and some very shallow (corny even) dialogue and of course "The Mob" has to be involved somewhere.

However, the story is quite good and enough to maintain an air of mystery lasting from one episode to the next even though the ending was quite difficult to comprehend in detail, and the pace of the dramatisation is about right.

Hence I suspect that some listeners who like this will like it a lot but others who do not like it may hate it. It is odd for the BBC to do an American drama but while American productions dominate TV and film this seems not to be the case for radio drama. Hence the BBC has added a level of variety here.

The 2 star rating I have given represents my own taste, however whether someone else likes it will depend very much on their own taste as I think it is that kind of production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Dec 2010
book arrived in time and in the condition stated. - haven't read it yet so can't comment on the book

Killing Orders: A V.I. Warshawski Novel
Killing Orders: A V.I. Warshawski Novel by Sara Paretsky (Paperback - 10 Jan 2008)