4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but interesting
One of the first female PIs to gain popularity with the reading public, Paretsky's V I Warshawski is very much the late 70s/early 80s image of a tough female character. Hard hitting, tough talking, she takes on a client who wants her to find his missing daughter, only to find herself embroiled in murder, fraud and a complex web of betrayal and counter-betrayal...
Published on 8 Nov 2007 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars Indemnity Only
Published on 24 Mar 2009 by molko

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but interesting, 8 Nov 2007
This review is from: Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski) (Paperback)

When read today some of the dialogue seems stilted and there is some debate in the text about the aims of feminism, but the story itself keeps moving and Warshawski has an engaging voice, which carries the reader along with her, making it easy to see why the series has such enduring popularity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant start, 14 Feb 2001
Ms. M. Wilde "vildi26" (SURREY) - See all my reviews
When I first read this book - Sara Paretsky's debut thriller, I couldn't believe my luck. A woman private investigator in Chicago. She uncovered a clever fraud in a union's pension funds when she was hired to look for a union bosses daughter & the death of her boy friend. It was unusual to find a P.I. who fought, had a gun - with the action really fast & the dialogue very witty. The first appearance of the brilliant character of V.I.Warshawski - cutting a swathe through a financial swindle on this occasion. Sara Paretsky is a unique novelist, whose subsequent thrillers usually combined detection with campaigning against corruption & inequality. V.I.Warshawski's marvellously angry attempts to bring back honour & ethics to a dirty world are a collectors joy - each novel infinitely re-readable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Indemnity Only, 24 Mar 2009
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski) (Paperback)
This is the first in Sara Paretsky's private detective V.I. Warshawski series. Here we follow VI as she is hired to find a business tycoons missing daughter after the death of her boyfriend. It leads into a web of some seriously corrupt businessmen and some pretty tough gangsters. VI is one tough lady though, with often times laugh out loud wit and humor which rivals that of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta.
This book is pretty good, the writing and pace are both good but the characters and plot often get a bit confusing and hard to follow. It seems Paretsky was clearly laying the path for a future series and it shows. A good debut to a series I will most definately continue with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis - 1st V.I. Warshawski mystery, 18 Nov 2009
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Meeting an anonymous client late on a sizzling summer night is asking for trouble. But trouble is Chicago private eye V. I. Warshawski's speciality. Her client says he's the prominent banker, John Thayer. Turns out he's not. He says his son's girlfriend, Anita Hill, is missing. Turns out that's not her real name. V.I's search turns up someone soon enough - the real John Thayer's son, and he's dead. Who's V.I.'s client? Why has she been set up and sent out on a wild goose chase? By the time she's got it figured, things are hotter - and deadlier - than Chicago in July. V.I.'s in a desperate race against time. At stake: a young woman's life.

This is great light entertainment. It may be dated, but I think that's part of the charm - I can just imagine her putting on the blazers and hunting down the bad guys in her tough girl style. Look forward to reading the next installment in the series. 3 1/2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars another very good read, 9 Mar 2014
I really enjoy Sarah's stories, they are so very hard to put down, I have spent the past couple of days reading most of the time because this story is so good. Her heroine is a tough character who can handle herself well and solve a crime at the same time, I am always sorry when I finish one of her books.I really enjoyed this story. I must finish now as I have another V.I. Story to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Sara!, 8 Jun 2013
Just think VI is one of the best detectives ever - feisty, intelligent and with a real heart for the people she comes alongside. Just wonder in some of the books if the baddies - of both genders - are a little formumulaic, not too many shades of grey there. Having said that, this has a muted and quite subtle ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's only one V.I., 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski) (Paperback)
V.I. is tough, imaginative, generous-hearted, loveable and fearless: yet she is entirely believable. Her creator, Sara Paretsky is one of the best things that happened to the world since Raymond Chandler.The plotting is sound and gripping, and one would like to be beside her all the way. If we had the guts. You'll be a better human being for reading this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing offering., 5 May 2008
E. Laws "evangeline2020" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski) (Paperback)
I found this in the library, surprised to see the first book in the series on the shelf I took it out. I'd intended to get the subsequent books in the series from Amazon but to be honest I'm glad I didn't bother before I'd read the first one.

I was hoping to have found another author in the mould of Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs. Unfortunately Sara Paretsky doesn't match up.

The story line doesn't seem to have the pace of Sue Grafton novel and even the details of Vi's personal life seem to be stilted and forced. The background of Union mafia and insurance companies didn't hold the attention and some of the characters weren't completely believable.

All in all, one to miss I'm afraid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sparse in every aspect, 8 Mar 2008
This review is from: Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski) (Paperback)
Sara Paretsky's offering is sparse on everything. Sparse on good writing, sparse on character development and sparse on suspenseful plot. I cannot see the attraction of this book in the least.

We learn little secrets of how VI Warshawski manages to keep her trim figure, and even laughably at one point how she doses her pasta because she likes it very cheesy. However, for an interesting character like a female private detective in the 1970's, we don't learn very much about what makes her tick. As for the story, I didn't ever ask myself whodunnit, or feel that I was prepared to lose sleep reading the next chapter.

I bought this book as the first in a set of three. Needless to say, after the experience of the first, I haven't and have no intention of reading the other two. Accordingly, I would dissuade any discerning reader from this book.

Finally, why 2 stars rather than one? I have read worse books.

Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski)
Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski) by Sara Paretsky (Paperback - 12 July 2007)
7.26