5.0 out of 5 stars Mans best friend ....
Published on 6 Aug 2007 by Haley I. Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Raises questions
Lovely story about the dog but I feel it raises significant questions about the parents, for example, very uncomfortable with the obsessive need to diagnose.
Published 5 months ago by Martha

5.0 out of 5 stars Mans best friend ...., 6 Aug 2007
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Hardcover)
I knew from the moment I lifted this book that it would hold a special place in my heart . This remarkable story of a boy and his family, lost in the world of Austism, captures all the horrific events that such a disability brings . I should know as I also have a son with the same condition . What an amazing trasformation - just when you feel all is lost , Henry steps into Dales life and helps him to make sense of his confusing world . This wonderful story tugs at your heart strings and also leaves you with a feeling of hope . Hope that Dales remarkable transformation could help others .

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, beautiful and hopeful, 16 Aug 2007
S. Cupit (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Hardcover)
I never write reviews, but this book is one of those that you just have to tell everyone you meet to read!
I cried from anguish and joy in turns as I read the harrowing and hopeful journey of the Gardner family as they fought to have Dale's autism recognised and through Dale's breakthrough's due to his family's incredible efforts and Henry the dog's magnificent presence in his life. This should be compulsory reading - it's wonderful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars To call him a dog hardly does him justice, 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Hardcover)
A friend like Henry is a book that every parent and dog owner should read, the struggle of the Gardener family and the rewards of owning Henry not only for Dale but for Nuala draws upon every heart string. Every parent wants the best for their child but in some case the mountains we have to climb can seem insurmountable. The silent love and affection your dog can bring you was perfectly captured in the words of the book. Thank you for sharing this story.
It should be on the national curriculum.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 24 Oct 2009
T. M. Stephenson (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Paperback)
I loved this book. It made be cry like a baby. How a previous reviewer that said they couldn't get on board with the characters is lost on me. I was hooked from the minute I opened it until the end when I sobbed my heart out (and I'm not normally one to cry over a book!) Buy it - it's a great read about a boy with autism, his family's journey and the amazing relationship (and help) that the little boy has with his dog. Fab, Fab, Fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book All parents should read, 16 April 2008
Della Goodyear (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Paperback)
As the parent of a Autistic Child the story was nothing new to me
but what was the comforting thing is the knowledge that someone else went through the same as me yes i could relate to most of the things in the book and the same feelings of dispair and the wish that my child could be "normal" this is a book that all parents should read as i think that the more understanding there is of the condition can only be for the good and help to dispel fears in relation to MMR and other factors

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 Sep 2007
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Hardcover)
Right from the first page i knew i wouldnt b able to put it down, what a amazing story of an impossible struggle with highs and lows fustration and a brilliant ending which had me in tears but still remained one of the best happy endings ever!!
What a truely amazing dog and wonderful story...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 3 Oct 2007
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Hardcover)
This is an excellant book and it made me feel normal as I could identify with alot of what was going on in the authors life. Despite the fact that my sons are no where near as bad as Dale, it reassured me that with the right kind of parenting skills, support etc, the prognosis can be good. It also illustrated what I already knew, that animals play an important part of a disabled childs life. This was a brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heart warming story!, 28 July 2009
A Friend Like Henry
This is the true story of the Gardner family, whose son Dale was born with severe autism. Dale's behaviour ranges from sullen silence to kicking and screaming tantrums - he cannot interact with others, he cannot show love towards his parents.

Follow the family's frustrations - from the lack of understanding of outside observers to dealing with medical and other authorities.

A visit to friends with dogs has Dale communicating with the dogs in a way that he cannot with people. A golden retriever puppy, Henry, joins the family. Henry's devotion allows Dale to communicate and open up, first to Henry, then to his family.

It is very moving to follow the progress made by Dale, and you could feel the joy of his parents as Dale starts to express his emotions and feelings.

Read the book first, but you must also watch 'After Thomas' which portrays this story beautifully

Excellent, highly recommended - a box of tissues needed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest account of what so many go through, 17 April 2009
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Paperback)
I have a child on the autism spectrum and can empathise with some of what the Gardners went through, particularly the ignorant comments by strangers when your child is having a meltdown. This book perfectly describes what so many families with a child on the spectrum go through. I highly recommend it to all.

As for the 1 star review by "Book Club Mum", please ignore it as this book is not some work of fiction with "characters" to be liked or disliked.

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this!, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: A Friend Like Henry (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down. It made me laugh out loud and cry to the point of sobbing. I loved the tenacity, love and care of the Mother and I adored the dog.
A book that must give hope to parents of children with autism as the progress of her son is impressive. My best book of the year - even my husband read it.
I want a sequel!!!!!

A Friend Like Henry
A Friend Like Henry by Nuala Gardner (Paperback - 21 Feb 2008)
7.33