5.0 out of 5 stars just right
Published on 19 July 2010 by joely

3.0 out of 5 stars "Charming" - but not "overwhelming" in my opinion
This sweet little book would be a romantic gift for a loved one (although a recurrent theme is being alone / not having yet found love) - or of course an essential purchase for Rob Ryan fans.

I had only seen some of Rob Ryan's greetings cards and bought this book out of curiosity as I liked them and wanted to know more - it's nice, but I'm not overwhelmed by it...
Published on 3 Feb. 2011 by Emily

5.0 out of 5 stars just right, 19 July 2010
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
I heard about Rob Ryan's work from my art teacher, and studied it this year as pieces of art but it wasn't until I read the book that I realised that it's a lot more deep than just pretty pictures and nice words. The work is really beautiful, and I particularly liked the fact you could see how it was made and all the hours that went into it. Some of the double pages take your breath away and it was more than what I expected from the book. The writing was also serendipitously good; handled badly it could have been twee or pretentious, but it seemed childlike whilst still relatable, to me. The book really struck a chord, and I'd really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gift, 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
I bought this for a colleague, 'who has everything', for her birthday as all of the reviews said it was a gift you could give to anyone. She was thrilled and sat up late into the night to finish reading it. Seems like the reviews were right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!, 2 Mar. 2014
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
Originally posted on <A href="http://www.onceuponabookcase.co.uk/">Once Upon a Bookcase</a>.

As soon as I saw this book on the shelf, I knew I had to have it. Without knowing what it was about. Had to have it. Last year at work, we had a beautiful window display for Rob Ryan's picture book, The Invisible Kingdom. It was so, so beautiful! And I knew, when I saw This Is For You, I had to have this book for my own, knowing it will be just as beautiful. What I didn't expect was for This Is For You to be so deeply moving!

Everything in this book is papercut - words and pictures cut from paper. Every single page, and there are <i>64</i> pages of these intricate, detailed, stunning images. The time and effort that had to have gone into this book is astounding. This Is For You isn't just a book with a cool story/message, it's a complete work of art. Although each image links to the one after for the story, each image is a completely singular thing of beauty. You're reading the story, but you're also amazed by the art!

And then there's the story. It's pretty much a love letter from the narrator - and considering it mentions papercutting, I would assume perhaps, actually, the author - to some unknown person, the person they will end up being with. Think Michael Bublé's "I Just Haven't Met You Yet", in some ways, it's along similar lines. It's a love letter of hope and joy, of yearning and looking forward to no longer feeling "empty" once they're big heart finally holds someone else's too, and of the complete joy that, despite still feeling empty, knowing that emptiness will be filled. With love. It's an absolutely exquisite story; uplifting, full of hope, and profoundly moving.

This book is too beautiful for words, and I absolutely must get my hands on every other book Rob Ryan has written and collaborated on. I am completely awe-inspired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful!, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
This is my favourite book by Rob Ryan. I originally bought this as a gift and have ordered my own copy!

As with Rob's other creations, the illustrations/paper cut outs are absolutely stunning. You find yourself looking at the amazing pages and taking in the beautiful designs for hours.

The words in this particular book 'THIS IS FOR YOU' pulls at your heart strings and is very powerful. It can mean a lot of things to a certain someone. The journey is about being alone and finding someone and dreams in your life.

I gave 'THIS IS FOR YOU' 4 out of five stars because I think this book isn't for everyone and if you are giving this as a gift, pick carefully. There is a huge element of sadness that can pull you down but for the right person it can easily become a wonderful keepsake.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant, 8 Oct. 2007
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
Much anticipated book by the fantastic artist Rob Ryan- a must have for any stylish coffee table- this is a book to keep and tresure, at last a collection of his beautiful paper cuts to have at home, a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming, 29 May 2008
D. A. Alford (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
Simple English, simple material made into something extraordinarily precious and beautiful. This is a book I will cherish for life and read over and over and be moved to tears each time. Poignant and celebratory.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 21 Nov. 2007
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
every picture is so intricate and delicate. i wanted to turn over each page with tweasers and gloves.
makes it feel precious; magical.
much like its subject matter : )

*recommends*

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book I have bought as a gift for many friends, 7 Jun. 2011
J. Holmes - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
This is a really special little book full Rob Ryans incredible papercuts. I have a copy myself which I love and have since bought several more copies to give to friends. They have always been received with delight. A book to treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Rob Ryan fans!, 10 April 2010
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
I bought this book after seeing Rob Ryans work and was curious to see more, it was superb value and is such a lovely book! The whole book is a story illustrated page by page with his cut out images, it must have took a long time to make and is a really beautiful item to have!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars are not enough, 12 Dec. 2007
A. Paterson - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is For You (Hardcover)
I can't tell you how much I loved this book! An enchanting tale of yearning and romantic hope told through the most amazingly intricate and beautiful papercuts. The book is magical, both in how it looks and the feeling it leaves you with...a feeling of hope and wonderment. I urge you to check it out!

This Is For You
This Is For You by Rob Ryan (Hardcover - 4 Oct. 2007)