on 9 January 2008
Firstly, this book isn't a Training manual; it explains Cesar's psychology of dogs and introduces you to his principles - the detailed 'How to' part is in other books.

This is a fantastic book to enable you to understand the principles behind the method and this, combined with the other books+watching the Dog Whisperer series, has had an amazing impact on our two Bichon Frise. I'm new to dogs and dog training: our Bichon Frise had several homes before coming to us and were hyper, unruly and destructive - a handful all round! It was obvious this came from never having rules/boundaries, and they had the typical 'dogs-treated-as-kids' syndrome (see the chapter 'How we screw up our dogs'!). Cesar's methods have worked wonders, and I have found it the gentlest of methods. If we think of discipline for children and look at options of "DON'T DO THAT!!! STOP IT NOW OR I'LL HIT YOU!" (aggressive management), "LOOK at this! I'll give you this chocolate if you stop doing that" (incentive management), "Can-we-please-sit-down-and-discuss-the-behaviour-you-have-just exhibited,-because-it-would-be-great-if-we-could-discuss-you-behaving-differently,-but-only-when-you-feel-ready" ('passive' management), or a calm "Please stop what you are doing now, because that behaviour is unacceptable" (assertive/leadership management), Cesar's training is the latter. It is calm, quiet, assertive and clear. What he means by being Pack-Leader is the equivalent of calmly saying to a child 'I'm the parent; you don't have to worry ...' with the reassurance and security that gives; it's not about enforcing an 'I'm the BOSS!!' attitude. My dogs go from hysterical balls of white fluff lunging on the ends of leads to sitting on a loose-lead in a perfect 'Wait' on the kerbside; they are starting to walk calmly at my side on a loose lead instead of one pulling ahead at route-march pace. Walks are becoming calm and pleasurable for all of us. The 'Energy' thing ABSOLUTELY works. We've used the 'Power of the Pack' to influence behaviour, and the section on Fixation enabled me to recognise and resolve early something I would otherwise have thought cute.

This book is a wonderful insight into explaining the principles of his methods - eg understanding what is going on when dogs sniff each other, the massive problems we create when we humanise dogs, what a 'red zone' dog is and how humans create these problem dogs. I've found this a fascinating easy-read background book and would highly recommend it to anyone.

And finally, as I know author's sometimes read these reviews, thank you Cesar for enabling my dogs to become calm, happy and well behaved without having to resort to fear/punishment, or making Bertie any fatter than he is through giving treats! :o)
22 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2008
What can I say, we had just about reached the end of our tether and were facing the heartbreak of trying to find another home for our rescue dog because her protective, guarding, fear aggression was escalating and we found this hard to manage, then I read this book from cover to cover in a week, I couldn't put it down. Every aspect of our dogs behaviour was shown and clear common sense answers given,both to why this was happening and what to do to correct it. We followed the rules and I'm not joking within a week we saw dramatic positive changes and now despair has turned to hope. We have a wonderful dog who is learning to trust us to protect her,we have a way to go but now I know we'll do it and she'll stay with the family who love her (a bit too much I now realise!). This man truly knows his stuff and not once have I had to use anything bordering on cruelty just rules and boundaries like those kids need to feel secure.Read it, enjoy it, even if your dog is balanced you'll learn something of benefit and if you have problems the answers are here, just open your mind to a different way of loving a dog, I promise my dog has chilled already and long may it continue Thankyou Cesar Milan from us,our kids and especially our dog!
0Comment|209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2008
Since taking in a cocker spaniel puppy two and a half years ago, I read every conceivable training manual and book, and still ended up with a bossy, dominant, 'naughty' although very loving companion. He would pull on walks, steal food from work surfaces and plates, jump up at visitors, bark hysterically at the front door.... the list goes on.

I took this book on holiday, and couldn't put it down or wait to get home and put his advice into action.

Training started immediately upon collecting Ralphie from the kennels; not having eye contact and waiting until he was calm-submissive before making a fuss; we haven't looked back.

Unlike many other 'training' books, Cesar Millan explains HOW he brings dogs round, not just that he did. I particularly liked his description of his own upbringing as it helped me understand the mindset, and although I wondered at the start if he would ever get into the tips and wrinkles of leading your pack, all the information was necessary to understand fully the concept of 'dog whispering'.

Like many other reviewers, I think this book should be issued with each dog; it would certainly have saved me a few tears!
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2007
I have a whole library of dog books, having 6 rescued dogs in the house, but this is the best of the lot. Cesar has the most amazing intuitive understanding of dogs and communicates it clearly and simply. This isn't a dog training manual, but is a down to earth guide to understanding our dogs and the way our own behaviour and attitudes affect them. It makes perfect sense. If you only buy one dog book, buy this one. Cesar is definitely top dog!
on 10 September 2010
If you want to learn about the relationship between humans and dogs I can not recommend this book enough,please read this book before you bring a dog into your life.
on 10 August 2007
Ceasar details his 'dog whispering' concept using his own colourful past and captivating case studies.

He instructs the correct way to deal with individual situations such as 'meeting a dog' and 'taking a new dog home' moving on to eliminating common problems like barking, etc.

A day to day plan is outlined, advising how to structure the dog's required routine into your life, and put his guidance into practise.

This book is a must read for dog lovers and interestingly, also useful for those who dislike or are afraid of dogs.
on 23 November 2007
This book is essential if you have a dog - even if you believe that yours is perfect. A copy should be provided with every canine!

Seriously, buy this book.
on 3 July 2006
Every dog owner should be made to read this book before purchasing their dog. It helps owners to get the best from their dogs and it certainly helps the dogs to get the best from their owners and life generally. Cesar is gifted in the art of understanding a dogs mind, the advice this book will give you will have a huge and positive impact on your home life with your dog!

A definate MUST READ!
on 16 May 2009
I quite agree with the last review. Everyone who owns a dog or is thinking of owning a dog should be made to read this book BY LAW. Cesar Milan doesn't believe you need to teach your dog 'tricks' or obedience lessons in sitting and staying etc. It's all completely based on dogs' natural behaviour and what they 'need' rather than what they want. There are so many people out there giving their dogs 'issues' without even realising what they're doing. Humanising them and imagining what their dogs are thinking.
Even if you don't own a dog, this book would also be a great help to learn about good parenting skills to give our youngsters rules and boundaries to make them happier individuals. It's not about shouting and punishing, just 'leading' and gaining respect. The same rules apply to humans and dogs. My dogs have become so much happier and well balanced since following the advice in this book. It's brilliant.
on 7 August 2007
This book is fantastic. I couldn't put it down. I recommend everyone who owns a dog or is looking to own a dog read this. His methods and teachings(though have been controversial)make perfect sense and once read and understood seem natural and effective. I own a dog with some problems and have tried all sorts of methods to sort him and have read alot of dog books. I have implemented some of his teachings and they have worked! Forget the rest this is the first book any dog owner should buy and read.