5.0 out of 5 stars Clear your schedule - you'll be gripped from start to finish
I thought I'd dip into this book and read it at a leisurely pace over the course of a few evenings. Wrong - from the moment I read the first chapter I couldn't put it down.

Published on 24 July 2007 by Searching for Gems

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock n roll rehab
Pearl's life is quite a nice one on the surface, but as this unfolds, with tales of a horrific rape, a bad marriage, and then being surrounded by temptations and people who think it's cool to be out of it all the time, you can empathise with the author.

Published on 23 Aug. 2007 by NB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock n roll rehab, 23 Aug. 2007
NB (Middlesbrough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)

After the numerous relapses, there are times when reading this, you think, Jesus, just stop and think of your career and children - but then, I've never been addicted to drugs, so I think that may be a bit harsh - but it is a relief when she finally seems to sort herself out.

The one thing that irked me throughout was her adoring depiction of her boyfriend (Danny Goffey from Supergrass) who seems like an ok fella, but considering she has a problem with drugs, it baffled me why he keeps taking them around her.

Unsurprisingly, this is a pretty good read. It's written in an easy to read style, taking in the Britpop years, the rock n roll antics that happened at the time, with plenty of famous names and situations to pep it up - although there's no mention of Kate Moss and you don't find out whether or not Pearl and Danny did wife swap with Jude and Sadie. Curses!

1.0 out of 5 stars tiresome garbage, 11 July 2012
This review is from: All that Glitters (Paperback)
I thought book would be an interesting insight into a music genre that I grew up in, but this book is just a rambling admission to all this womans mistakes. Firstly she isn't very interesting, seems to me that she never actually worked very hard to achieve anything, instead relied on her boyfriends success to cash on his talent and contacts.
This book angered me so much, this spoilt no-body wingeing about how hard done by she is, I found it particularly shameful when she was agonising over having to sell her 7 bedroom mansion to pay off her debt, or move her daughter out of private school.
And worse of all, when she discovers she has a 'gift' for home furnishings & fashion....handy.
Tiresome garbage

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear your schedule - you'll be gripped from start to finish, 24 July 2007
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)

Pearl's account of her own journey through addiction is a page turner - she perfectly contrasts the superficial glitz of the Britpop era with a darker, at times harrowing personal story. It's no kiss and tell - instead you're presented with a no-holds barred, honest story of someone who lost their way but eventually had the determination and guts to tackle her troubles. The description of Pearl's meeting and ongoing relationship with Danny Goffey is heartwarming in parts, and there's also a fair few amusing anecdotes along the way that balance the more shocking parts. I loved it - give it a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential holiday reading - my book of the summer, 25 July 2007
G. Hunt "Janey" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)
There had been rumours that this book was going to be a kiss-and-tell of all the high jinx of the Primrose Hill set, but the reality is a much deeper, more interesting look at drug addiction told through the eyes of a Mother. There's some brutally honest parts - miscarrying on stage at Reading, using coke whilst pregnant. Pearl includes her entire story, warts and all, which I think is a very brave thing to do. She doesn't do the dirty on any of her so called `friends', but instead, through brutal honesty, gives hope and inspiration to anyone who's ever been affected by any form of addiction or has any friends or family who have been through something similar. This book deserves to do really well - think `Scar Tissue' but written from the perspective of a mother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are they crazy?, 24 July 2007
N. Done (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)
I'm referring to my fellow reviewers comments at the bottom of the page. They've clearly read the synopsis and not the book and jumped to inaccurate conclusions. It's so easy to knock a book like this that could appear on the surface to be something shallow and self-indulgent - boasting of fun and frolics in a world most us only read about. But read it and you get a very different picture. A painfully honest (or so it seems) account of life as an addict. There's no glorifying it - she puts every sad encounter on the page ready for you, the reader, to absorb, appalled. Using when heavily pregnant? Not something anyone would want to be remembered for.

I have a very good friend who is currently fighting similar addictions but within the framework of a regular family unit. I gave this book to his partner and it's been a genuine eye opener - insights into what it truly feels like to be a slave to drugs, and how they fit within the hierarchy of a family you love.

An amazingly inspirational book from a very brave women who could have sold out her celeb pals to the tabloids, but instead offers her own mistakes on a plate for all to pick over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, interesting life, interesting book!, 16 Feb. 2008
L. Butler - See all my reviews
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)
I've never really known much about Pearl Lowe and never heard of her band Powder, but I thought the blurb sounded interesting. I was proven absolutely right! Pearl gives an honest, realistic insight into the hold that drugs can take, in particular on a mother frequenting the London celeb party scene. Her memoir does nothing to glamourise the world she once inhabited, and her frankness has to be praised. She could've left out the really murky experiences, but she didn't. This book is definitely worth reading, whether you've heard of her or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars courageous honesty., 1 Sept. 2007
s. rose (florida. usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)
i couldn't put this book down, i read it from start to finish in one day. the author's honesty made this a compelling read. i sympathised with her and even shed a few tears. if there are any readers out there with teenagers, i suggest you give them this book. it's wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly honest, no tabloid gossip., 24 July 2007
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)
I loved this book. As someone who has also struggled with drugs it was so good to be able to relate to another female ex addict. I was pleased to find that there were no "kiss and tell" tales, that's not why I bought the book. If I wanted to read that crap I'd buy the News Of The World or some similar rubbish (I'm not that shallow anyway!).
I read it from cover to cover in one night, I laughed, cried and was horrified at times, but I'm glad I read it. If i had an 18 year old daughter I would make her read it too, it highlights the traps of drink and drugs, but on the up side it also shows that with the love of a family and great inner strength you can break addictions and make a better life for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 5 Oct. 2007
J. WALKER (YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All that Glitters (Hardcover)
Unlike the last reviewer who obviously has issues I would recommend this book.

It is a well written book. Pearls writes a very honest life story dealing with the topic of addiction to drugs in particular Heroin. This book does not glorify drugs but instead tells the reader how heroin destroys family life and people's health.

It is also a love story between Pearl and her husband Danny and their children and how difficult it has been for Pearl to quit drugs for good even with a good family behind her.

This is a great autobiography with a definite message for the reader.

Some great photos included.

RECOMMENDED

4.0 out of 5 stars I always thought she was a rock cliche, but this book made me change my mind, 17 Mar. 2008
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All that Glitters (Paperback)
Pearl Lowe is probably best known for being a minor player and 'hanger-on' during the Brit-pop scene based in and around Camden and the partner of Supergrass drummer, Danny. Having paid to see some truly awful Powder and Lodger gigs 'back in the day', I was interested to read this memoir. I did find it really absorbing from start to finish, although not as candid as I thought it might be. The memoir describes her progression from recreational drug use to heroin and cocaine addiction and how this affected her role as a mother and partner. It's full of the self-delusion and rationalisation normally associated with addicts.

Where I think this book is slightly lacking is that it glosses over some of the more important events in Pearl's life. Any regular reader of NME will know that her eldest daughter's biological father is Gavin Rossdale. Although she talks about getting the paternity test and the fact that they don't speak to each other, it was clear that there was a lot more to this story than was revealed in the book. Fine if you want to keep that private, but it did make me wonder why you would mention it at all? Similarly with the accusations in the press that she and Danny went to wife-swapping parties, which she never actually accepts or denies.

Despite the minor criticisms, I really enjoyed this book and it made me look at Pearl in a completely new light.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

All that Glitters
All that Glitters by Pearl Lowe (Paperback - 20 Mar. 2008)