Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 21 February 2008
based on the lovable character, 'Kipper'.

In this adventurous book we find Kipper and his friend, Tiger the dog, testing out a brand new torch! The main focus of the story is Kipper's attempts to read his storybook to Tiger........but.......things get in the way!

From the back cover:-

'There is a monster in Kipper's storybook.
But could there be a monster in the woods at the bottom of Big Hill?'

24 high quality pages, in the popular 2-page spread format with clearly written words and superb illustrations.

Example of text:-

`Tiger had a brand new torch.
`It's the most powerful torch there is!' he said to Kipper.
He shone it at Big Owl.
He shone it at Hippo.
He shone it in Kipper's face.
`You should see it when it is really dark!' he said.
`It's REALLY good when it's dark!'...........

And so the duo set about using the torch to its best ability.... first in Kipper's basket with the blanket pulled over, where they try to read Kipper`s book.......

`Kipper began to read.
`Deep in the middle of the dark, dark wood, there lived a horrible, horrendous, terrible, tremendous...'....'
Then, Tiger has a brilliant idea.........and off the two go on a night-time adventure - with the book, the torch, a tent and some biscuits - an adventure where imagination runs a bit wild and the experience proves to be more than a little reflective!

Aimed at the older child, this book is packed with descriptive grammar and just the right amount of trepidation but....as always......all is well that ends well!
on 2 September 2003
Another delightful Kipper story, as one would expect from Mick Inkpen. My three year old has been enjoying Kipper stories since her first christmas and remains as captivated as ever. We are never disappointed with a new Kipper story and Kipper's Monster is no exception. It has a lovely blend of mild anxiety and anticipation, giving just enough excitement for young children even at bedtime, and the added bonus of encouraging hours of fun under a makeshift tent in the bedroom. As a first introduction or as continuing adventures, Kipper's Monster is well worth a try.
on 7 September 2011
The kids (Aged 3 & 5) love Kipper and Kipper's Monster was no exception. Another funny story from Mick Inkpen.
on 6 March 2016
bought these books for my granddaughter who lives in the USA and loves the Kipper dvd's. She loved all of them and they have rapidly become her favourite bedtime reading. She loves the illustrations and has great delight in showing them to me when we skype - yes we have reading time when skyping. I can see them being favourites for some time to come
on 22 March 2014
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 'Kipper' book. The story is well written and the illustrations are great. A big hit with my granddaughter and I never get bored reading it to her. The characters are lovely. What's not to love about Kipper?
on 11 February 2014
My just 3 year old grand daughter loves the Kipper books. This one made her intake her breath when reading the part about whether the monster was in the tree. We read Kipper books over and over.
on 2 November 2010
One of Mick Inkpen's best! My 5 year old son really loves this book! It involves torches, camping in the woods and potential monsters. It's the perfect scary story for young children.
on 9 March 2012
i purchased this for my niece who is kipper mad and she loves it....reads it reads it...well worth the money! speedy delivery and well wrapped thank you will buy from you again
on 9 December 2012
Brought for my 4 year old son for Christmas, Its a lovely story book, I cannot wait to read it to him.
on 31 March 2013
I love this book and so do all the children I read it to. It's a favourite in my under 5's group