5.0 out of 5 stars Setting the record straight
A lot of people will say that Joanne has written this book to cash in on an horrific incident, but it became clear to me from the start of this book that this was not the case.

Published on 31 Mar 2007 by Mr. A. N. Winterburn

3.0 out of 5 stars Still unanswered questions
The book was a reasonable read but I could never forget that this was a very subjective account. I believe it leaves more questions unanswered than it explains. I wonder if Peter Falconi@s body will ever be found?
Published 19 months ago by L. E. Wright

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Setting the record straight, 31 Mar 2007
Mr. A. N. Winterburn "Adie W" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)

What is clear is that the media painted such a bad image of Joanne, that they criticised everything about her, whether it be her choice of clothing for press conferences, or whether be going back to work, what ever she did was wrong, and it is clear that Joanne has written this book to set the record straight. The media couldn't see that Joanne was a victim who was under shock and grieving, of course she is going to make decisions that seem strange to a normal person who isn't in shock or who isn't grieving, the media were trying to paint her as a callous cold person.

Even though a court has charged somebody for the murder, and therefore cleared Joanne of any wrong doing, isn't it sad that she still felt that she had to write this book to clear her name.

This book is fantastically written, the story is sad, and by the time you have finsihed it you can't help but look upon Joanne as a courageous lady. The way she was treated was appalling, not just by the media, but also by the Australian authorities.

I read this book in a day, I literally could not put it down, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, but especially to those who always doubted Joanne - it is time you read the truth, not the twisted truth that we were presented with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 5 July 2007
Ms. T. Quinn "Little Book Worm" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)
At the time, I could't understand why the media were so suspicious of and negative towards Joanne Lees; I never doubted her account. The Australian outback is a huge barren area and many people have been reported missing or attacked by 'crazies'. Joanne gets to tell her side of the story and relays details of the evidence found and clears up rumours (portrayed in the press). She was treated appallingly by the Northern Territory police; if only they had believed her account earlier and started investigations immediately, maybe they would have found Murdoch sooner and possible Peter Falconio's body (my view). I have read elsewhere that Joanne was given valium in the days' following the attack, which could account for her lack of emotion in the initial press conference. Either way, lack of a breakdown in front of the press does not equal guilt. Who knows how any of us would react after being attacked/tied up/potentially raped and killed and lose your loved one? What does shine through is how strong she is and how much support she had from family, friends and some professionals (which is in contrast to the media's portrayal of her as a lonely and isolated figure). Once you start reading the book, you won't be able to stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good For You For Sticking to your Guns, 3 April 2008
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)
I read this book not long after it came out and found it fascinating. What prompted me to read this book was the film on the TV. I bought two books. One written by Sue Williams and Joanne's book. I read Sue Williams' account first and then I read Joanne's book. Considering no members of either Joanne's or Peter's family supported the Sue Williams' book, I was amazed at the amount of information she claimed to be privvy to.

I then read Joanne's book and I could only imagine the trauma she went through trying to get justice. It would have been so easy to give up the fight. Not only was she herself a victim of a crime, but so was her loved one. During the time Joanne was fighting for justice she lost her mother when she needed her most, and I know what that is like - very hard indeed.

Good on you Joanne for sticking to your guns and getting the justice you deserve, given the lack of support and belief from the police and press.

I felt Joanne's book held more credibility as the information came from a direct source and not a second hand one.

5.0 out of 5 stars No turning back is a real page turner, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: No Turning Back (Paperback)
I remembered watching Murder in the Outback on television so when I saw this book I thought I would give it a go. I'm not normally one for non-fiction but I have to say that I found this book an absolute page turner.

It is terrible to hear what Joanne Lees went through - the victim of a terrible crime, away from home, grieving the loss of a loved one, and totally alone with the police watching your every move with a skeptical and unfeeling manner. It is truly anyones worst nightmare. But what makes this an unforgettable story is how you can identify with her... it is not a Hollywood story with clear and uncomplicated characters and clear black and gray areas, this is real, the relationship had problems, Joanne was not a very open person, perhaps at times she did little to divert the cloud of suspiscion that hung over her. But all of these things add to the realness of it, you feel her desperation and misery, and you are drawn in to the story. I couldn't stop reading and raced towards the end.

At times I did feel that Joanne still found it difficult opening up and preffered to keep some details private, such as her affair with fellow traveller whilst still with Pete. She skims over things and moves on quite quickly. This was frustrating as we don't get a fair representation, it is very much skewed to her own personal feelings and what she chooses to reveal. I think this is quite representative of her personality and something that made it hard for people to warm to her, and cast doubt on her sincerity and emotions after Pete's dissapearance, and caused the police to view her with suspicion.

We may never know what happened to Pete after Murdoch left Joanne hiding in the bush, which is sad and frustrating. I feel real sympathy for Joanne and everything she went through that night and in the trials afterwards. I'm pleased that justice was done in the end. I hope one day Murdoch can give his family some peace and help the police find Pete's remains. This is an emotional and shocking story, read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, 11 Jan 2007
J. WALKER (YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)
After following this case on T.V. I was waiting to read the "truth" from this lady.

Joanne gives the facts as she remembers them, some memories are missing such as how she was carried to the accused's truck - unbelievable but true according to Joanne. Details about the crime are vague, her only minor injuries were on her knees from hiding in the bushes. This is a book written entirely with one objective and that is to defend herself against anyone who did not fully support her, mainly the Australian Authorities.

She obviously had a brilliant relationship with Peter and there are many wonderful photos to prove this in the book but there is always this nagging doubt for the reader that something is missing but you can't put your finger on it.

Joanne must be glad that they have now jailed the killer and I wish Pete's family well and hope one day that his body will be recovered so that some sort of closure can be brought to this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth, 25 April 2007
L. George (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)
Well done to Joanne for writing this book, she has done justice to herself and pete. Her truth highlights how the media can distort and sensationalise stories in a cruel way often forgetting the trauma a real victim has actualy suffered. In addition I am amazed at how the Australian authorities seemded to totally forget about compassion or sensitivity in that they were dealing with a victim of a serious crime. I have nothing but admiration for Joanne, she was so brave to escape, thank god she did as it thus brought pete's killer to justice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still unanswered questions, 6 April 2013
L. E. Wright (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)
Great book, well worth a read. I read it whilst travelling, luckily at the end of a round the world trip. Wouldn't recommend taking it to Australia mind!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth, At Last, 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: No Turning Back (Paperback)
Joanne Lees has, as a previous reviewer has already stated, set the record straight.

The moment Joanne Lees starts to explain the awful events to the Northern Territory state police, you quickly understand why this case was handled so badly. You will read & learn why. You will also get an understanding, a very clear one, what Joanne Lees went through to get her boyfriend's killer brought to justice. The undercurrent of reading through the events is that Joanne Lees is a very mentally strong young women. Some might say that she would have had to have been, yes I agree, but that does not describe what it takes to be one. This book does.

This young lady should be commended for staying true to her boyfriend to the very end, when finally, justice was served. Joanne Lees explains all of this throughout this book, which, I might add, is a very good read.

I enjoyed it from the point of view of learning what exactly the ambiguities were & how they came about. Some people will hold their heads in shame with the way they treated Joanne Lees, others will feel very proud by the way they stuck by this young women. Fortunately for the reader, Joanne Lees explains this & highlights this throughout.

It is also worth noting, that Joanne Lees also explains why she has written this book very early on, & also that of all the books that have been written about the events that occurred, not one author ever interviewed her. This for me, was the point of note that Joanne Lees was 'not cashing in, but is telling the Truth. My cap is tipped to you Joanne Lees.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't warm to her, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: No Turning Back (Hardcover)
Having nearly finished this book I can say that I did not warm to the author one bit, right from the start. Although she went through a terrible ordeal I do not feel that she really went into much detail of how she really felt about her boyfriend's murder. I just picked up negative vibes from her and her account of the murder. Considering she wrote about the worst experience in her life I did not find her account all that expressive and to me she just seemed rather cold. I am in no way saying that she committed this crime but I do not feel that all the details have been filled in. As for staying true to her boyfriend, well she didn't beforehand as she was unfaithful to him so she couldn't have loved him that much. It just seems like this Pete went missing and that was that, it was all about her battle with the police not about how much his disappearance had ripped her apart. It seemed to take her ages to click on that the police thought she may be involved, I would have detected this right from the start. Something isn't right with this story -after all, this is only her account in her words.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

No Turning Back
No Turning Back by Joanne Lees (Hardcover - 5 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01