5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading if you are worried about dying.
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by Hilary

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't tell us a lot
This book informed me that some people have a 'good death' and others don't. I was already aware of that fact. I found no helpful information in it at all.
Published on 24 Jun 2009 by Purpleormes

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading if you are worried about dying., 20 Oct 2009
And who isn't? It may be not a book you might feel inclined to read if you are on the sunny shores of your 30's or 40's. If, however, you are like me in your mid-fifties and watching the rising tide either for yourself or a relative, it's a good piece of homework - and of ammunition to deal with the beauracracy of end-of-life treatment and death in or out of hospital - even your own if you are well enough prepared in advance. It tells you about Advanced Directions and Statements of Preference, and for that chapter alone it is worth the money so that you get peace of mind knowing what is going to happen to you when you are beyond consciousness. I think it whould be required reading for everyone who has a terminal illness before they get too ill to consider the implications, and when you consider that we are all suffering from a terminal illness ('cos none of us get out of here alive), then yes, it's a good read.

It's by no means a morbid book, is very well written and informative and not without its lighter moments. I found it compulsive reading, perhaps because my father is an Alzheimer's patient as was John's. I also lost my step-mother to cancer, and I wish I had had access to this book before in order to help and advise her.

Humphrys and Jarvis write from their own experiences, and although I'm sure there are other terminal illnesses and other circumstances under which people die or wish to be allowed to die, with a little tweaking here or there I think for the broader picture it paints that those others and their carers would appreciate the value of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaking the unspeakable, 4 May 2009
A well written book, easy to read & touching the subject which will affect us all. The medical input added extra credence & validity to this emotive story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Death, 17 Jun 2009
Lucy Child (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
I heard this book being talked about on BBC Radion 4; Dr Sarah Jarvis was being asked about her work. It was on Dr Jarvis' answers to the ethical and moral questions raised in the interview that made me buy this book. John Humphrys writes well but it was Dr Jarvis' sections that were the most informative. The book was a rapid and easy read, at times very sad and at others uplifting. I would recommend this book as an introduction to the idea of having a "good" death when suffering from a terminal illness. I felt it useful enough to pass on to colleagues.

4.0 out of 5 stars this is an extremely interesting book, 11 May 2009
A. J. Trechmann (UK) - See all my reviews
This extremely interesting book is well written and a very easy read, the subject (which is not mentioned nowadays) is important to everyone. The whole book is informative and I found it difficult to put down. If one has been born it is guaranteed one is going to die and therefore the more information one knows about things that can help and the way the NHS works etc the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 4 May 2009
Ms. S. Bryant (West Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
This book is VERY helpful and reviews the unmentionable dying process ....a good read for anyone caring for the terminally ill..

4.0 out of 5 stars An argument for Assisted Suicide, 10 July 2009
B. A. Smith "Brian Smith" (East Molesey, Surrey) - See all my reviews
I found this very interesting although in principle I support the author's views. I have three comments - it is too dominated by cancer patients' problems - there are other long term life-diminishing conditions and I am not at all sure that a person with Alzheimers suffers - its more the lookers on that do. Secondly there is rather too much on what doctors can/cannot do and not enough on the role of the domestic carer and thirdly the setting up of a lasting power of attorney is nowhere near as simple as it is made to appear - it is also very expensive up front. the former enduring power (limited to financial matters) was easy and cheap. But an enjoyable read all the same

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying well, 2 May 2009
I lost my mother suddenly and a few days later I heard John Humphreys interviewed on R4. What he said made some sense of my feeling that mum had been denied the sort of death she had deserved and wanted. This book filled in so many gaps, helping me to come to terms with what happened and to understand too that so far as we can, we should each be able to die in the way we would wish, when we wish and there's nothing wrong with wanting it that way. I have long supported assisted death, and this book discusses the pros and cons in a careful and informed way. Regretably I did find Dr Sarah's interspersed case comparisons a bit irritating, resembling many American self-help guru books, even though I think they were relevant to differing sections of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Welcome Visitor, 31 May 2010
Mrs. Doreen Watkinson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Welcome Visitor: Living Well, Dying Well (Paperback)
This is a very good book it arrived in very good condition earlier than stated/ It is a very interesting book to read full of valuable information for anyone looking at care in the later years of life. John includes in his chapters passages about his own relatives. Sarah in her chapters looks at the medical aspects. They both look at recent ethical discussions about the process of terminal illness care and the process of dying. Would recomend the book to anyone who has an interest in the subject particularly those in the health services and clergy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Boy!, 18 Jan 2011
the most enlightening, moving book I have ever read. really makes you think about how we should spend our final days, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Welcome Visitor, 1 Jun 2014
This book is sensitively written about a taboo subject, and is both fascinating and practical. I would recommend it to anyone who is a carer for elderly or sick people.

The Welcome Visitor: Living Well, Dying Well
The Welcome Visitor: Living Well, Dying Well by John Humphrys (Paperback - 21 Jan 2010)
6.58