on 25 February 2008
If you are the kind of person not to take offense by the odd bit of comic violence, these books are literally brilliant. I have bought them for a number of my friends always with great success, and no matter how many times i look through them i always find myself laughing out loud (in a sinister and creepy way, of course). No but really - buy this book.
Bunnies are cute, fuzzy, cuddly, and not very bright. And in Andy Riley's works, they're also very suicidal.

In fact, you can guess just from the title of Riley's "The Bumper Book of Bunny Suicides" what it's about -- lots and lots of cute cartoon bunnies offing themselves. Both books in this set are full of one thing -- near-wordless cartoons of bunnies disposing of their cute fuzzy selves in unique, creative, and sometimes overly complex ways.

It's a running gag, but you'll never guess how many of these bunnies choose to off themselves -- just a few of their complex methods involve corkscrews, DVD players, stalactites, cigarettes, seppuku, garden gnomes, lemmings, palm trees, Harry Potter books, pointy-nose jets, Christmas trees, colanders, and many other seemingly harmless (or at least not VERY harmful) ordinary items.

Some of the methods become more and more complex as time goes on, like an elaborate contraption involving a grandfather clock, a ladder, a candle, and a can of gasoline. One even has a bunny taking the direct way out, even with a bunch of dynamite on a precarious ledge over him.

There are even some pop culture references, which are handled with utter hilarity. The bunny prepares to beam down from "Star Trek," gets toasted by the Terminator, hangs atop the Tardis, and infiltrates the legendary duel between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Not to mention irritating the Eye of Sauron, and using Gollum for some bunny-stretching.

Yeah, it's basically a one-gag kind of humour,, but Riley manages to keep the chuckles rolling along through the entire book. Part of the humor is in the ridiculous stubbornness these bunnies have to off themselves (for no apparent reason -- it's not like they need a motive), and Riley's creativity in coming up with surreal methods for suicide.

There are a few duds, admittedly -- the deli counter one took me several reads to understand, since you have to pay very careful attention to even spot the bunny in this one. The overpass gag simply doesn't make much sense (okay, what happened there?), and some (like the cheese grater) are just squicky. They're funnier when they're clever.

Riley's artwork is simple and clean, and his bunnies are amusingly stoic as they chase down death. And he shows a variety of bunny deaths -- some are gory, some are physically impossible, and some simply involve bunny parts flying bloodlessly. Some, in fact, only hint obliquely at the bunnies' demises -- and these tend to be the most hilarious of all.

"The Bumper Book of Bunny Suicides" compiles the two deliciously dark comic books, and they're just right for people with a sick sense of humour or a hatred of bunnies. Or both.
on 6 January 2010
This is ideal for a pressie for the person who has everything or for that hard to buy for man in your life. Not for the vegatarian on your xmas list, as yes it is a little sick, but it is funny.

I bought this for my friend's husband and she said that it has pride of place in the downstairs loo magazine rack and she often hears her 11, 7 & 40 yr old having a quiet titter in there. A bit pricey but it does include all the sketches so far.
on 18 October 2013
I am an anti-hunting, anti-animal experimentation animal-lover who finds the term Sport Fishing a true oxymoron. Our pets probably get better care than our children! That said, I love these books. They are so over the top that I find it impossible not to laugh out loudly. Really can't imagine the type of person who wouldn't smile at Andy Riley's wonderfully black humour.
on 21 April 2016
This book is a lot of fun, and it only takes twenty minutes to read because there are none of those pesky words for you to worry about. The Bumper Book of Bunny Suicides is basically a collection of short comics, each of which shows a suicidal bunny trying to end it all. It might sound depressing, but it’s not – it’s just cute, and you’ll be perpetually impressed by the creativity that the author shows.

Riley has penned several similar books to this, and I recommend checking it out if you’re up for a laugh. But for me, it will always be about bunny suicides – I first heard about them through the magic of the internet, and I always love it when internet culture spawns a good book. Sure, it might not be a classic, but it is a lot of fun, and the sort of book that belongs on coffee tables across the country. So give it a read and let me know what you think!
on 6 June 2012
My mother has a couple of the books in her bathroom (what, you don't have a bathroom library?) and they always make my 10-year-old son chuckle whenever he visits. He asked if he could have a copy for his own book collection, and I was delighted to find this bumper edition with all the bunny suicides compiled together. He does not always understand them (sometimes, neither do I!) but this has led to a number of interesting conversations between us, which is nice, isn't it?
on 26 December 2009
Bought this for a friend as a last Christmas present. Read it before I wrapped it up and really enjoyed it. It's full of very imaginative (and sometimes very sick!) cartoons depicting the lengths these obviously depressed bunnies will go to to commit suicide. Some of them are very elaborate (and you've got to wonder about the cartoonist..!)

Spoke to my friend on Christmas Day and he was enjoying it too!
on 28 March 2009
This came super quick, and was also appreciated by evryone in my iffice who was feeling a little bit down in this current climate. i urge evryone to buy it.
on 22 January 2016
This is review of a state of the book that came as "used - good". In my opinion the state of it is "barely acceptable" and as a collector I can say it's "totally unacceptable" for me.
review image
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2013
Great book, very ingenious, I got this book for my kids for Christmas, and they were laughing and laughing, in the end they were laughing so much, no sound was coming out and tears were rolling down their faces! A really excellent gift, although not for too young as you need to work out how each bunny will come to their end, (my kids are 13 and 15 and really loved it!)