5.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy

Published on 23 Mar. 2010 by Maz Kraut

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy, 22 Jan. 2008
C. Anderson "Mad Cat Lady" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I find with many cook books that the recipes are fiddly and time consuming and usually demand a pinch of one ingredient and a splash of another, and before long you have a cupboard full of rare spices that you are never going to use again. This book however is simple to follow, contains ingredients that are generally easy to find in shops and ones that you are likely to use again.

The book gives ideas for breakfasts, lunches and snacks as well as main courses, and gives a real variety of dishes. I haven't cooked all of them yet, but they are all appealing and all things that you could happily feed to non-vegetarian guests or family members, as I have done to positive feedback!

The only thing I thought was slightly odd is that one of the recipes calls for gelatine, but it's easy enough to steer clear of one recipe, there are plenty to choose from.

All in all, there is something here for everyone. The meals are healthy, simple and tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and delicious, 28 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I had borrowed this book from the library so many times I had to buy it. Some recipes don't sound interesting yet just taste fabulous, with the added factor of being entirely virtuous. I use this book at least once a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful addition, 1 Jun. 2007
C. Gilchrist (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
After my sister was recently diagnosed with diabetes, I thought I'd give the GI diet a go, as it is supposed to be useful in warding diabetes off.

The book is well written and shows suggested meal plans for Vegetarian Adults, Vegan Adults, Vegetarian Teenagers, Vegan Teenagers, Vegetarian Children and Vegan Children.

The recipes are clearly laid out and easy to follow, and the photography is bright and cheery throughout.

Highly recommended (and better than Rose Elliott's book!)

2.0 out of 5 stars tries to do too many things, 23 Mar. 2010
Maz Kraut (Northwest England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this book hoping to find vegetarian recipes I could use for a low GI weight loss diet, but this is not what this book provides. It tries to be "healthy" in general, I think, so it emphasises vitamins and minerals, but also wholegrain cereals aplenty (which you would find only to a very limited amount in a low GI diet), whereas it advocates to use only minimal amounts of things like full fat cheeses or cream. Most recipes contain flour and starches; for instance as suitable breakfast it suggests porridge, banana, fried rice or baked beans on toast. None of the recipes provide any indication of their GI value. I get the impression that it uses "low GI" as another justification to say "We're healthy here", but for anyone wanting to get used to a low GI diet and abolish most forms or sugar and refined starches, this book would be more of a hindrance than a help!
Also, most photos of people in there are of them being sporty, which I find just a little annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent must have low gi veggie book, 26 Feb. 2010
Jane Pearsall (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is my cooking bible, so much so it never goes on the bookshelf. It has loads of great tasty low cost and easy to make recipes. I even invited meat eaters for a three course meal from this book, they ate the lot and loved every course...they were shocked to find it was all low GI (even the red wine!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Full marks - 1st was a present. Will buy 2nd for us., 16 Jan. 2011
ME (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
Having read the brilliant 'China Study' myself which is life changing for so many, I bought this book to encourage my mum (overweight, diabetic and generally riddled with poor health) to eat more healthy meals especially as she cooks for my similarly obese brother who is heading towards diabetes and all the rest unless they change from their unhealthy diet. I wanted a book that explained the health benefits but that also made it easy to eat better, where recipes were appealing and had photos to make you want to make them, plus recipes that used ingredients you can readily buy in the UK and rarely ones like pearl barley where you must be prepared to go beyond your local supermarket but hey - even Asda sell silken tofu now and it is very reasonable.

We've had a read through and it is definitely a practical book you'd use lots so we are buying one for our household too where one of us is a vegetarian foodie recently diagnosed as celiac (yes we would swap some ingredients for gluten free alternatives). I highly recommend this book to everyone - not just vegetarians but also people like my mum who want ideas for more healthy dishes to include through the week.

We've been looking at lots of new cookbooks lately with myself (lactose intolerant, migraines if I eat lots of wheat and for health/environmental reasons eat meat occasionally preferring local organic quality meat) wanting to try to find tasty vegan meals in order cut down on animal products in my weekly diet and my husband working out what to eat as a vegetarian celiac (no meat, no fish and gluten free). There's lots of disappointing cookbooks out there but this one stands out as a gem and it is not even aimed at two fuss pots like ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear., 5 July 2011
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I found this book very clear but very difficult to actually put into practice! There is really too much to remember for me, I am afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars GI Vegetarian cookbook, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
I would have preferred less recipes and more general ideas of food types to use and in what amounts, or how to adapt existing tastes for low GI

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook (Paperback)
This was bought to replace my old copy which was too tattered to use any more. A great source of information and recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 April 2014
Just what I expected - thanks

The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook
The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook by Joanna Mcmillan (Paperback - 14 Dec. 2006)
Used & New from: £9.38