5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a joy!
I'm usually into thrillers but saw Pam Ayres promoting her book on the TV and asked my husband to get it for me as one of my Christmas presents, saying that I could do with a giggle.

Published on 7 Feb 2007 by Hippy chick

3.0 out of 5 stars wife likes her
usual ryming stories quite entertaining ..keep her coming keeps the wife happy ...I certainly "wish id'e look after my teeth"!!!
Published 13 months ago by Mr. Michael Galvin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a joy!, 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Hardcover)

Well, what can I say? First thing that struck me was that whilst reading it, (to myself, not even out loud), I found that I was reading it with an endearing Pam Ayres accent! Couldn't help myself and it just made it all so much more real somehow.

Her tales of times growing up brought back lots of lovely memories of my own happy childhood. Wish I'd known about that handy trick to catch crayfish though, love those.

All the tales are just so what could happen to any of us and probably has or will at some point in our lives but she just has such a wonderful way of expressing them.

I foolishly started reading this just before bedtime and naturally couldn't put it down until it was finished. Resulting in some very strange sideways glances from my almost sleeping husband as I tried to stifle my chuckles once I'd made it up to bed with the book.

This was a real pleasure to read and some welcome light relief from my usual genre of thrillers. I've never read any Pam Ayres books before, but will certainly be reading more in future. I'm sure her older works are equally as laughable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Promised Myself, 21 Oct 2007
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Hardcover)
a Pam Ayres book, but never got off my backside to get one, then this wagged its 'come hither' finger at me in Asda last Saturday. Always enjoyed her work, she's not on TV enough, but is 'On Tour' right now, I found, if you check her website
This book is a cracker and will have you chuckling along all the way through, because Pam always writes about events we can relate to, which is her great strength.
Get a copy, then, like I'm planning to do, get some of her other books from Amazon; my idleness has now been cured, as laughter, is indeed, a wonderful thing. She dishes up exceptionally good British humour in a world where American humour seems to be trying to take over, and OK, maybe I'm one-in-a-million, but The Simpson's and all the other codswallop from the U S of A JUST DOESN'T DO ANYTHING for me; Pam Ayres does, in bucketloads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Nov 2006
S. Wallace (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Hardcover)
A brilliant read poetry to make you laugh, her style is always quirky I wish I could write as she. I would recommend to any one who needs a little light entertainment. I can still see her renditions from years ago and always believed she was the female version of Benny Hill with her facial expressions as she recited her works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pam Ayres Enhancement, 8 Feb 2009
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Paperback)
Surgically Enhanced is another of Pam Ayres' publications which amply demonstrates her quirky humour. She can get her messages home without the need for "edgy" presentation used by many "modern comedians".

5.0 out of 5 stars Our National Treasure!, 30 Nov 2006
I. N. Terry (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Hardcover)
Isn't Pam Ayres wonderful! What a National Treasure!! These bite-sized reads, whether poem or prose, ring with her Oxfordshire accent and the twinkle in her eye. As a fine reflection of the quirks of middle-aged life, I hope my wife will forgive me for giving her this title for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, you'll be glad you bought it., 23 May 2010
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Paperback)
Pam has always cracked me up and this book is no exception. She writes little stories as well as poems with her usual wit, I especially like "Reading the map" so funny and so true about how men and women have rows in the car about the woman's map reading skills (or lack of them!) and "If I only had me glasses I'd be there" where she writes a little story about having to wear reading glasses now and never being able to find them, this is followed by the poem.

I love her easy to relate to, easy to read style of poetry, full of humour and is a joy to read, I never fail to laugh when reading a Pam Ayres book!

If you like Pam Ayres you'll also love "The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)" which is written in the same rhyming, easy to identify with style and is mostly about love.

The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pamy Ayres, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Paperback)
Another fabulous book by Pam Ayres. You cannot fail to have a sense of humour reading her
poems and enjoying a good belly laugh. She is certainly very talented and I would highly
recommend this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surgically Enhanced, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Hardcover)
Thoroughly enjoyed when I borrowed it from library, so bought for a friend for Christmas. She said that she enjoyed it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well packed quick receipt and well loved, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Paperback)
bought as a gift for an elderly gentleman who loved it so much it has travelled to Spain with him for a month long holiday in the sun so he can dip into it whilst there!

5.0 out of 5 stars PAM AYRES IS THE BEST, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Surgically Enhanced (Paperback)
Pam Ayres is the funniest woman in Britain. She does not have to strain to make her audience laugh. She is a natural. Other so-called 'funny women are not'. That includes Victoria Wood and Miranda ?? Pam is not reduced to falling about or using expletives in attempts to create laughter. She is different. Genuine, warm, talented.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Surgically Enhanced
Surgically Enhanced by Pam Ayres (Paperback - 6 Sep 2007)