5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Journey
This honest, real and at times touching account of an FBI agent's under-cover life in the most powerful New York mafia family is truly fascinating. Joseph D Pistone leads the reader through his six year investigation as Donnie Brascoe, jewel thief, starting with his first encounters of small time crooks in Manhattan social clubs, manipulating his already street-wise...
Published on 24 Sep 2006 by Mr. Jp Sledmere

3.0 out of 5 stars Donnie Brasco
Not as good as I thought it would be and totally different from the movie. Its interesting but not half as good as the Mafia books by Philip Carlo.
Published on 5 July 2011 by Steve

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This ruined one of my favourite films, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia (Paperback)
Donne Brasco was one of my favourite films. Ever. Then I read this book and it made me realise how much better the film should be.

Its written in a no frills way that makes it feel as if you are just sitting listening to someone telling you a an incredibly interesting story, unlike some books that seem to be trying to fill out their sentences to get their word quota and be a bit more wordy than they actually are, or need to be. This fits into the typical `good book, can't put it down' category for me. The only thing that I think would make it even better, would be a bit more info on what happened to key characters such as Lefty. I know he was sentenced, but was that it?

I watched the DVD again after reading this and was so disappointed. Its still one of my favourite films, but it highlights just how good the book is.

Should you buy it? Forget about it! (Damn right you should buy it.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Donnie Brasco, 5 July 2011
Steve "Trajan" (Northern England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A true hero., 13 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Joseph Pistone is a true American hero in a society that worships the likes of John Gotti. As risky as it is to be a member of Cosa Nostra, Pistone illustrates how much riskier it was to be an FBI agent under deep cover in the mafia. I saw the movie first and immediately got the book. The movie takes a lot of liberties and stretches the truth...surprise, surprise. Hollywood not sticking to the real story? I'm shocked! This book is a milestone and in my top 10, right up there with Catch-22, Johnnie Got His Gun, and All Quiet on the Western Front. Pistone's courage remains unparalleled. The tragedy is that this amazing man now has to live the rest of his life under an assumed name. Hey, maybe Hollywood will come up with a new one where Joe Pistone and Sammy Gravano hook up, become pals and fight martians or something. You just gotta love Hollywood, huh?

5.0 out of 5 stars A hero's tale., 8 May 1999
By A Customer
This is a hero's tale. And the best book on organized crimeever. The best - because it has not been written by a blased overexcited journalist, but by a man who was in the very core of things. And he isn't a criminal - he is a man of the law. This is the only book that gets as close to *our* points of view as possible - because, though being an agent, Joe Pistone is a normal, intelligent man. Not an incoherent simpleton like 99% of the gangsters. He's book isn't narrated from the position of a brainless crook like Henry Hill, hardened though honourable criminal like Gravano, or ultraegoistic ridiculous fool like Gotti. Well, as Pistone says, wiseguys don't make good readers. Their supporters are even worse.
I also recommend everyone Pistone's new book "Donnie Brasco: Deep Cover".

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Better than the Movie, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia (Paperback)
I Came across this story first as a side line in many Mafia/Mob based books and then the Movie. This book far outshines them all. It has to be one of the best, most truthful portrayals of the American Mafia I have come across. The book has the added advantage of being written by someone outside the mob going in. Pistone shares our values and curiosity for detail where it matters. This is no egotystical mob defector this guy is an ex FBI undercover officer. It covers 6 years of undercover work during the late 70s and early 80s infiltrating the Bonanno family amongst others. This book shines a light on the lesser, street mob characters but infinately more interesting such as Ben "Lefty" Ruggiero and Sonny Black. ITS A MUST READ for any Mafia fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpy stunning, 13 Oct 2000
I, like most people only knew of "Donnie Brasco" through the movie, this book shows you what really happened, without the gloss of hollywood. To go and do what this man did takes guts beyond belief. And to write a book this good about it all is incredible. The story of breaking into the mob and gaining the trust of the most untrusting. It's a great story about courage, not just of getting that close to the danger, but of having to leave his family behind for 6 years, to keep secrets from everyone he knew. I slaute you Joseph and Richard. Thanks for writting a book that i just don't want to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 17 July 2008
This review is from: Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia (Paperback)
I like many people have watched the film before reading the book. Like the film this book is excellent and goes into a little more detail. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Good Reading!, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia (Paperback)
This book is excellent reading. I am nearly finished, and it has been interesting and not at all boring. Truly, the author was far "wiser" than the "wiseguys". It truly opened my eyes to the true lifestyle of the mafia and their characters. It is not glamorous. It is hardcore. Other interesting and well written and read books by the author is "The Way of the Wiseguy" and "Unfinished Business". I recommend reading those as well. They go more in depth in regards to his experience with the Mafia and whata they're about.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 15 Feb 2009
N. Morrison (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia (Paperback)
This book is excellent. If you liek your maifa type books or the godfather etc this is an ideal book. i thoroughly enjoyed it and read it in no time

5.0 out of 5 stars Painful at times insight into crime fighting, 11 April 2010
Don D (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia (Paperback)
The extent this agent went to in order to do his job is stunning. The details revealed about the mob are fascinating, at times revolting and it's bizarre to see him dismiss a lot of mob life as dull. I'd never have thought that.

The best parts of this book are the intrigue behind the power struggles in the mafia, as gangsters stab each other in the back to get ahead - no pun intended. The strangest part is how someone could live so long under threat of death and torture and still get on with his job - amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia
Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia by Joseph D Pistone (Paperback - 5 Jun 2006)