5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing but un-put-downable
I'm a big fan of How Clean is Your House, so when I saw this, I wanted to find out more about the feisty blonde from the show. My goodness, what a read. She had an awful, awful upbringing - at some points, I was reduced to tears, as I couldn't understand how a mother (her mum) could treat her daughter so atrociously. Kim Woodburn was treated dispicably, going from one low...
Published on 12 May 2007 by Maria T

2.0 out of 5 stars Sad story, a little depressing
How on earth is this a best seller?

I found it repetitive and depressing. So her life was hard and there were internal family jealousies. Get over it. Not everyone has a perfect childhood but we dont all write a book that will no doubt hurt a lot of her family.

Published on 18 Aug 2011 by Babs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Unbeaten: The Story of My Brutal Childhood (Paperback)
Read the book twice on my recent Holiday. What a strong lady she is!. The book is now in South Carolina being read by an American lady who is a fan of "How Clean is your House".

4.0 out of 5 stars brave lady, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Unbeaten: The Story of My Brutal Childhood (Paperback)
couldnt believe what a horrible and sad childhood kim had,she deserves all her success and found her story inspiring

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good to read, 26 July 2014
I loved this book unbeaten ,how hard her crawl life was and no love,and come a long way to get in life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read., 22 Dec 2006
A book that was past to me by a friend who did not find it as entertaining as I. So many stories about mothers abusing there children I have read resently it makes my skin cold. Kim led a turbulant life and I know much has been said in the media about the disposal of her un-born child. I think before a judgement it made one has to walk in ones shoes, remembering it was many moons ago and things were so very diff then. Even physical abuse within the home was more acceptable, when a child walked with bruises, or cries heard from the whipping that ensued, the attitude was, spare the rod, to spoil the child. Thank goodness things are changing.

4.0 out of 5 stars a story of a remarkeable woman., 9 Nov 2007
Mrs. D. L. Cox (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unbeaten: The Story of My Brutal Childhood (Paperback)
i gave this book four stars because i didn't feel that the writing was spot on. It was not written in a partuclarly skilled way......but that it seems is irrelavent and may even have harmed the purity of this horrible tale.
Simply put this woman should be honoured with a medal. An inspiration. In todays age where we are always pointing the finger of blame and thinking only of ourselves we have no idea what misery really is. I cried my eyes out in certain places in the book particularly when it came to kims awful experience with motherhood.
by the end of the book i wanted to both hug and congratulate miss woodburn. Hug her for all the awful things that happened to her (and i am sure she only tells us the half) and congratulate her for never sinking to the level of those who trod her down and for becoming the joyful inspiring woman she is today. helping us disorganised peeps get tidy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sad story, a little depressing, 18 Aug 2011
Babs (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unbeaten: The Story of My Brutal Childhood (Paperback)
How on earth is this a best seller?

It wasnt even well writen. she repeats a lot of things over and over and I found it so depressing I wasnt able to finish it - something I normally never do.

Unless you want to be bored and made to feel miserable - dont bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars How low can you go?, 23 Jan 2012
Coming from an abusive home myself, I found the book very uncomfortable.
It seems to be an endless and very public confession, which would better be served in a psychiatrist's office.
It is more in keeping with Big Brother; the seeking of ever-flowing public sympathy and love by relentlesly going on about the childhood and then grown-up abuse.
A restrained chapter could have achieved so much more.
From this book you will know all there is to know and then some about the pathology of Kim's family, but nothing about her customers, some of which were ghoulish too (according to Kim). I was hoping to read such stuff.
Steer clear.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing read, 11 Sep 2006
Very ordinery book bit depressing to read

Wouldn't recommend this book to friends.

Had expected more.

Unbeaten: The Story of My Brutal Childhood
Unbeaten: The Story of My Brutal Childhood by Kim Woodburn (Paperback - 5 April 2007)