5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the joy, and ultimately the pain, of owning a dog
Published on 6 Aug. 2006 by Brida

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining in places
This book has been around for sometime and never really appealed to me, but a friend loaned it to me and suggested I might like it, I have to say I have mixed feelings: it is simply written and easy to read, at times it is uplifting but mostly it made me feel sad for Marley and dogs like him who are with humans who don't really understand the responsibilities of dog...
Published on 8 April 2012 by Teruel

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the joy, and ultimately the pain, of owning a dog, 6 Aug. 2006
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have just finished this book, and I felt as though I have been on an emotional rollercoaster for the last 3 days. This is testemant to how good this book is - as the title of my review states, this book has captured the joy and the pian involved in having a faithful friend. Grogan has managed to illustrate how all dogs have their own unique personalities, and how they are able to utterly transform our lives.

When I was growing up we had a black pedigree Labrador - he was a rescue dog - and he was the world to me. He was with me all through my school years. Reading about the antics of Marley, I was reminded just how loyal dogs are to their owners; how much joy they bring but also how much comittment they are.

This book made me laugh out loud - so much so that in parts I was crying from laughing so hard - and it made me cry buckets at the end. While the majority of the book is a bit of fun, relating the behaviours of a "loopy" dog, there is a serious point at the end. Grogan points out that the loyalty and unconditional love that dogs show their owners should be sought by the owners in their own day to day lives. To find unconditional love to the same extent, but from another person, is a very hard thing to find indeed - people are much too selfish.

As another reviewer said, this book made me wish that I could have encountered Marley, he sounds like a fantastic dog. It has also made me remember my own dog, and the treasured memories I have of him. I wonder if they are both up there, in doggy heaven, causing chaos??...... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling dog lovers everywhere..., 22 Sept. 2006
Philip Roberts (Brighton - UK) - See all my reviews
We all know don't we? There's no such thing as a bad dog, and as Eddie Izzard said, how can we, a race that has caused genocide say a dog is bad just for stealing a biscuit??

Marley & Me is a touching journey between a family, and a Dog, who not for want of trying, seems to have been at the back of the queue when the good behaviour gene was given out..

Chewing through walls, stealing food from the table, running off etc etc, oh well, it's a dogs life!

While Marley & Me describes a wonderful tail (pardon the pun) of a dog, and his life and an attempt to see things through his doggy eyes, there is much more to this book, it is about the human connection we make with our pets, and touches on why that connection is so important.

Our dog brings us so much joy, unconditional love and affection, and Marley although not exactly the best behaved pooch in the World offers all this, and his family love him for that, and value that loyalty and connection.

I read this book in a day, when I put it down, I took my own dog for a long walk and a play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marley and Me, 5 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
This book is just great, especially for dog lovers and a definite must read for any Labrador owners. I laughed and cried reading this book. It is written with such detail and you just can't help laughing and falling in love with Marley, the main focus of the book. Best book I've read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 25 July 2006
Caroline F (London, England) - See all my reviews
I loved Marley & Me - I couldnt put it down which is saying something for me as I lose interest easily - I became attached to the dog and wanted to find out what happened next - it made me laugh and it made me cry - great for animal lovers but probably not strict animal trainers who will pick holes in Grogans dog handling skills!! or lack of them

5.0 out of 5 stars You will LAUGH OUT LOUD. Very touching! GREAT book., 25 April 2007
M. L. Compton - See all my reviews
John and Jenny Grogan bought a Labrador Retriever puppy to see if they were ready to have the responsibility of a child - little did they know what that cute bundle of fluff would bring! Not only did he bring terror and mass quantities of household-wreck... he also brought love, loyalty and most of all, friendship - which all of us dog-owners know so well.

'Marley and Me' was one of the best books, if not THE BEST book, that I have ever read. Being a Retriever owner myself, this book sure took me back a few years to the puppy and 'teenage' years of my dog - recalling all sorts of memories!

If you are a dog owner, ESPECIALLY if you are a Retriever owner - 'Marley and Me' is a MUST read. Hold a few tissues - for both happy and sad tears!

Hilarious and emotional - a true tale of man and his best friend. You wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional Rollercoaster, 20 Jan. 2009
Mr. Colin A. Jacobs (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog (Paperback)
I too have a Labrador, two years old, lamp black in colour called Sam. I named home Senor Samuel order of Plover, after my driver when I was in Kenya. During the reading of John Grogan's "Marley and Me." Sam was slumped as usual either across my bare feet or lounging full length on the sofa with his muzzle resting on my lap. He was with me when I laughed out loud rousing from his contented sleep and he rose to lick my face when I reached to stroke his back when I read a sad paragraph or two. Punctuated with "oh you are so like Marley" I sometimes read passages out loud at which Sam cocked his head as if to listen.
The book is of course about a naughty but loveable dog that predictably causes a lot of fun, sadness and downright anxiety. There are some very moving passages especially when Marley helps calm John's wife after leaving hospital. Once through the book towards the last quarter the reader begins to realise that Marley is getting old.
I experienced laughter, sadness, empathy, sympathy and tears of joy and emotion.
I read the last ten pages in a mist of tears and through that veil choking back the lump in my throat I reached down to Sam laying prone on the floor, cupped his muzzle in my hands and said "Sam I love you" He rose up on all fours placed his fore legs on my chest and raised his tail, he then passed the best Fart ever. I could imagine Marley looking down from Heaven saying "Good boy Sam"

5.0 out of 5 stars Marley and Me - A great read!, 18 Oct. 2007
Well, what can I say - I read this book on a plane to the USA and presume most people in the cabin must have thought I was crazy - switching between laughs out loud to tears in my eyes! Anyone that has a dog (whether they are well behaved or not) will see some part of their dog in this story. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone that has a few hours to spare!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have ever owned a dog, then you'll understand, 13 Oct. 2006
Mss P. Robinson "Pamela Robinson" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Marley & Me arrived with me on Saturday morning. By 9am, i was hooked!

Having just lost my own dog at the end of the summer, i was unsure about reading about someone else's adventures and happy times. Marley & Me was absolutely fantastic, i laughed, i cried, i laughed some more. Most of all i started to remember Molly with laughter in my heart instead of sorrow. The author had thirteen years with Marley which they grew up and old together, his children had a best friend who was always ready to play and never unhappy to see them. I can relate to this. If you wanat to laugh and cry, read Marley & Me.

5.0 out of 5 stars big man, no tears....no hopes!, 12 Mar. 2007
Brian C. Berry (wirral, merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am the proud owner of 2 cats, 2 rabbits and 2 gineau pigs (well my wife is) and it was my wife who bought me this book for Xmas.

I opened it one sleepy Sunday morning at put it down approx 13 hours later.

I love dogs as well as cats but career commitments meant we limit our dog activities to voluntering at the local RSPCA centre, but in one day, i felt like i had owned, matched grow up, loved, laughed, shouted at and finally lost a dear companian.

It must have looked pretty bizarre to see a 31 year old guy sat up in bed tears running down his face, silently sobbing in case he wakes up the wife.

Great read, touching, funny, poignant and moving.

Well recommended but don't read the last 30 pages in public or you will make a fool of yourself.

You have been warned!

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional rollercoaster!, 1 Aug. 2006
E. L. Lofthouse "Emma Lofthouse" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in New York when it was first released. It will make you laugh and cry... i let the tears run freely and the giggles! John Grogan captures the gift of doggy unconditional love to perfection. Marley is an adorable character, and a must read! I defy anyone not to enjoy it!!

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan (Paperback - 26 July 2007)