5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the joy, and ultimately the pain, of owning a dog
Published on 6 Aug 2006 by Brida

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I bought this book expecting it to be a hilarious book about a dog.

Instead its a boring book about the dogs owner, his wife, his career and their efforts to start a family.

There are a few funny scenarios regarding the dog, but Marley wasn't the 'worlds worst dog'. He was just owned by people who didn't have a big enough home for him, enough cop-on...
Published on 14 July 2009 by Mad_Wan

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the joy, and ultimately the pain, of owning a dog, 6 Aug 2006
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have just finished this book, and I felt as though I have been on an emotional rollercoaster for the last 3 days. This is testemant to how good this book is - as the title of my review states, this book has captured the joy and the pian involved in having a faithful friend. Grogan has managed to illustrate how all dogs have their own unique personalities, and how they are able to utterly transform our lives.

When I was growing up we had a black pedigree Labrador - he was a rescue dog - and he was the world to me. He was with me all through my school years. Reading about the antics of Marley, I was reminded just how loyal dogs are to their owners; how much joy they bring but also how much comittment they are.

This book made me laugh out loud - so much so that in parts I was crying from laughing so hard - and it made me cry buckets at the end. While the majority of the book is a bit of fun, relating the behaviours of a "loopy" dog, there is a serious point at the end. Grogan points out that the loyalty and unconditional love that dogs show their owners should be sought by the owners in their own day to day lives. To find unconditional love to the same extent, but from another person, is a very hard thing to find indeed - people are much too selfish.

As another reviewer said, this book made me wish that I could have encountered Marley, he sounds like a fantastic dog. It has also made me remember my own dog, and the treasured memories I have of him. I wonder if they are both up there, in doggy heaven, causing chaos??...... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Mr. Grogan. . .Thank you Marley.,, 3 Feb 2006
Don't ever confuse Lassie with Marley. Minding was something Marley couldn't quite manage - this is despite obedience school and concerted efforts by his adoptive parents, John and Jenny. Marley was a Lab with few of a Labrador Retriever with few of a Lab's characteristics. He was 97 pounds of almost non-stop accidents waiting to happen. Actually, John and Jenny wouldn't have had him any other way nor would we. His heart was huge and his love boundless despite his lack of social graces (sniffing crotches is definitely unacceptable as is swallowing costly uneatable items).

In retrospect, John can remember Jenny's reasoning - they were newly married and she thought having a puppy would be good training to caring for children when they came along. He writes, "If Jenny really only wanted a dog to hone her parenting skills, I would have tried to talk her off the ledge and maybe placate her with a goldfish."

They both had full-time jobs and knew that a dog was a large responsibility. But, they both also had happy memories of having a dog when they were children. So, their decision was made and Marley was their pick of the wriggling, furry litter. Little did they know. (Even though upon first meeting Marley all but chewed his way through John's watchband.)

"Marley & Me" is so much more than the story of a lovable canine, it's the story of a family - how they grew together, their celebrations and their griefs. It's also a tale sure to provoke both laughter and tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars A few lesson on life....., 24 Nov 2006
I couldn't put this book down. It was hilarious and touching all at the same time. A true story of man's best friend, and all the reasons why children should grow up with a dog. It charts the life story of a dog with a mischievous heart of gold, right from puppyhood through to the very end - warning, you may need to take a few deep breaths before reading that part!

The author has spared no emotional expence in showing us a few life lessons on love and, it's close relative, happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time we get a book like this!, 28 Feb 2006
By A Customer
It's about time we get a book like this! Everyone who loves and/or owns dogs will relate and react strongly to this book. And for those who do not know the love of a dog or has never owned one, this will open your eyes to the depth of their love, loyalty, heroism and goofiness that they bring to us. You will also come to appreciate how clever we have to be to outsmart our canine friends and why its smart to have a little reserve set to the side for emergency repairs. You will laugh out loud, cry and cheer Marley and the Grogans through all of their experiences. This story strikes a cord deep within me and I now must reconsider if my own beloved pup has been outranked as the world's worst dog :-) I Would also recommend-' Giorgio Quest '
a buy.com exclusive-save ten percent of Amazn

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant!, 14 May 2006
A. V. Salvage (UK) - See all my reviews
Marley and Me is about the lives of a young family, which centers around their beloved pet labrador-retriever, who under no uncertain terms is a monster of a dog. However, all his bad behaviour is clearly out weighted by the unconditional love he gives his family. For dog owners, particularly labrador and retreiver owners, this book is a definite must. John Gorgan describes the behaviour of Marley so perfectly that you will instantly recognise such behaviour traits in your own dogs, which will make you laugh and smile even more as you remember the times you've shared together.

For non-dog owners, this book is still an absolutely fantastic read. Within minutes of starting it, you will be comtemplating buying a dog. However, you should understand that Marley is an exceptional dog, so if you've already brought a puppy, don't worry too much, it would be very unlucky if you ended up with a dog with all of Marleys less-desirable characteristics.

I myself absolutely loved this book. I ended up leaving mine in Australia with some friends who have a year old Labrador, which seems to have developed a lot of Marley's behaviour. Although, without a doubt, he is a lovely dog. This has left me in a position without the book which made me laugh so much whilst traveling. I enjoyed it so much I will definitely be buying another copy. What could be more enjoyable than reading about the life of an extrodinary dog?

5.0 out of 5 stars Marley and Me, 5 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This book is just great, especially for dog lovers and a definite must read for any Labrador owners. I laughed and cried reading this book. It is written with such detail and you just can't help laughing and falling in love with Marley, the main focus of the book. Best book I've read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-read, 16 Aug 2006
Ms. P. Ohnoutka (cheshire, england) - See all my reviews
i've just finished reading this book & have been in floods of tears. even more so as my two dogs have been sat with me. our rescue dog has pushed her nose under my arm so she can lean in close & our 5 month old chocolate lab has gone behind where i've been sat on the sofa, put a paw either side of my shoulders & licked the tears from my left cheek.

this is truly a wonderful, insightful read. not only into the psyche of marley, a larger than life, best-spirited dog who simply relished the company of others (including killer- the stark raving pitbull he met on the beach) but into the hearts & lives of the grogans & he people whose lives he touched, in terms of their amazingly endless capacity for empathy, love & mutual trust.

this book would suit dog lovers to the ground; people like me who've only had dogs for a little over a year who continue to learn with each day that dogs have a fabulous ability to wipe clean the stresses of daily working life with a wet kiss at the front door. it would also suit those looking for a feel-good read - it's witty in its sarcasm & insightful in its exploration of who marley was. so much more than his label of 'the world's worst dog'. i'm sure john grogan would agree he was the world's most loving & faithful friend.

and now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to turn the pc off & have a cuddle with my two dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 25 July 2006
Caroline F (London, England) - See all my reviews
I loved Marley & Me - I couldnt put it down which is saying something for me as I lose interest easily - I became attached to the dog and wanted to find out what happened next - it made me laugh and it made me cry - great for animal lovers but probably not strict animal trainers who will pick holes in Grogans dog handling skills!! or lack of them

5.0 out of 5 stars Marley and Me - A great read!, 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog (Paperback)
Well, what can I say - I read this book on a plane to the USA and presume most people in the cabin must have thought I was crazy - switching between laughs out loud to tears in my eyes! Anyone that has a dog (whether they are well behaved or not) will see some part of their dog in this story. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone that has a few hours to spare!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doggytastic Book, 5 Dec 2006
J. C. Lange - See all my reviews
I can't remember the last time I read a book and laughed and cried so much at the same time! Everyone that owns a chaotic dog MUST read this!!Definitely worth buying!

Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan (Paperback - 26 July 2007)
6.99