5.0 out of 5 stars Mr King, thankyou very much
Well considering that King thought this book wasnt worth publishing it has done surprisingly well, wouldnt you agree?

Published on 16 Mar 2007 by 'Chewy'

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the only times I preferred the film
The novel isn't terrible, but it's frustrating.
The last climactic pages are spent jumping from short bursts of the event to interviews of survivors. I'd have given it four stars if the ending had been better. That's the only area where the novel fails in my opinion. The beginning is good. I empathized with the main character, and it's a really interesting...
Published on 27 Dec 2009 by Max Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr King, thankyou very much, 16 Mar 2007
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)

King has a knack of relating fiction to real-life and this is no exception. Teen bullying, a girls first entry into womanhood, it is all real and for most of us, scary. King in turn makes his stories scary to reflect this by using real problems.

Carrie is a teenager with 'normal' difficulties at school. She however does have an underlying power, a well hidden dark side that is waiting to burst out. And burst out it does in one hell of a blast, and a hell of a climax.

The characters are easy to relate to and you willl be forgiven if you think they are actually based on real people, such is Kings talent. This book is, for the most part, an 'easy' read. The plot is clear and simple to follow. However just because the plot is simple doesnt mean it is any less engrossing. And get engrossed into Carrie's world you will.

A super read that is quite linear with fewer twists and turns than in Kings larger books, but exciting none the less.

He is truly the epitome of modern horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where it all began, 30 Nov 2002
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
As with virtually everything Stephen King has written, this is enjoyable reading. It is also a quick-read for anyone who is intimidated by the length of some of the author's later works. I think the basic premise of this story appeals to many people because Carrie is, in many ways, the ultimate underdog, a girl terrorized by an insanely religious mother, victimized and persecuted by her peers, and alienated from the world around her. Everyone in life has been a victim or a bully, and I think the story of Carrie White does impart an important lesson to the folks out there who are treating someone they know the way that Carrie's classmates treated her. For those of us more sympathetic to Carrie's plight--the high school "outcasts," the "poor," the unpopular, the nerds, etc.--the story really matters here. Many of us daydream about the revenge we will exact from those kids who made fun of us all those years ago, and Carrie White shows us that revenge is not all it is cracked up to be. Carrie's "triumph" costs many innocent people their lives, and it doesn't really do a whole lot of good for Carrie herself.
You don't need me to tell you why you should read or re-read this book. This is Stephen King. By this point in time, unless you are just coming of age, you have already read this book if you are one of King's legions of fans or even if you were ever curious about this man's phenomenal success. Even more of you have probably seen the movie. While the movie was pretty faithful to the book, not even the magic of cinema can convey the true weight and atmosphere of this (or any other) book. Carrie is also King's first published novel. This is very important to would-be writers--clearly, King was still learning his craft when he wrote this novel, and thus the process of reading it provides any potential writer with a great learning experience. The format here is significantly different from King's more mature work. The story is told through several "voices," including a third-person account from a "survivor," extracts from research articles and newspaper items based on the events, as well as a more traditional author's voice. Thus, we get several perspectives on the characters and events. The story is not as fluid as it might be because we switch from one viewpoint to another as the tale unfolds. While I much prefer the style of King's later works, especially in terms of getting inside a character, King still infuses Carrie's world with realism and believability, proving that he can create masterful atmosphere and mood with any number of literary tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars ''IF I CONCENTRATE HARD ENOUGH, I CAN MOVE THINGS...'', 24 July 2001
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
When I first read Carrie, I was blown away by the storyline and the style of writing, but the important thing was that we felt sympathy towards the protagonist,Carrie, so we weren't sure weather to condemn her actions at the end or root for her.
This is strange because King recently admitted that he never liked her, and felt that she was asking for the abuse she got. He based Carrie White on two people that he taught in his high school.
When I recently re-read the novel, it does not hit the same impact that it originally did and one factor constantly annoyed me: why did Chris go so far to humiliate her? Did she have a psycological problem or something.
But that was just an excuse for the action, so I'll let it go. If you want a good introduction to the Master of Terror, than you can't go wrong.
By the way, after you read this, compare it to the Brian De Palma/Sissy Spacek film and draw your conclusions on how faithfully it was adapted. The notorious ''shock-ending'' is not in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE REAL PROM KING!, 19 Mar 2000
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
This was the first SK book I ever read. I spent months listening to everyone raving about the movie. I was too young to go see it and there were no videos in those olden days of 20 something years ago. I decided that I would settle for the book and boy am I glad I did. I read it on holiday, in a lonely country cottage in the Highlands of Scotland - best place in the world to read HORROR. This made me fall in love with SK. It was the most incredible experience ever, as far as books go. It left such an impression on me that I kept thinking about the characters years later, hell I even called my daughter Carrie! If you are wondering which SK book to read and want real excitement and thrills, then you won't go far wrong with this masterpiece. It is horror at it's very best. If it is your first SK book it certainly won't be your last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie: more than a movie, 12 Mar 2007
This review is from: Carrie (King Classics) (Paperback)
Stephen King's Carrie is not so much a classic tale of horror and retribution as a study of the effects of repression. Carrie White is bullied: by her class mates who see her innocence as a thing to deride; by her mother, a religious zealot who subjects her daughter to bizarre and terrifying rituals.

Carrie also has another factor that ensures it is just a relevant today. It's well written. King ensures that Carrie White's character is no mere thumbnail sketch. He gives her depth as well as flesh, and by the time she wields her terrible power upon a town bent on shutting its gates upon her, well...we're sort of on her side.

King uses several devices that made this book different in its day. The use of letters and newspaper cuttings reminds the reader of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Horror set pieces such as: when Carrie has her first period in the shower and the spiteful reaction of her classmates; the slaughter of a pig with a sledge hammer and the notorious bucket of blood set to christen Carrie as she's crowned queen of the prom.

It's good to see that Carrie has been branded a classic. And to think if it had been up to Mr. King himself the original manuscript would not be gracing the bookshelves of adoring millions, it would still be in his kitchen bin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Early King work is a winner!, 6 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Carrie (Mass Market Paperback)
This was King's first published novel and there is as much fun to be found learning about its past as actually reading it. As you read you can almost see King writing it in his little house with the typewriter balanced on his knee. What is astonishing is how he managed to get the thing finsihed while working full time and attending to his family. We all know the plot - Carrie is tormented until she finally goes mental at Prom Night and wreaks telepathic havoc - but this book expands upon the movie, adding more depth to the early scenes and having a whole new ending ... Although the ending is parcticulary downbeat in a way Kings work is rarly today, it is a joy to read, and makes you root for Carrie when everything seems to be going well at the prom. The book has a weird fairly-tale style as it is mainly comprised as newspaper clippings and biography of some of the charectors from years later, but it has a real sense of community and makes for a disturbing read. Funny in places, most definatly raw, it is also good for aspiring movelists to study to see how the world's most prolific writer started out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of an addiction, 4 Jan 2009
Jeffrey M. Black "jblack437" (Stockport) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
Just as I remember where I was when I heard my favourite band for the first time, I am forever indebted to Pinehurst Library in Swindon for having this on the shelves in the early 80s. I knew there was a film of it that I was barely old enough to see, so I picked it up and decided to give it a go.

The opening scene of menstrual humiliation; the mad religious nutter mother; the teenage cruelty - all culminating in Carrie trashing the town with telekinetic vengeance (I was a little disappointed with the ending of the film when I eventually caught it - well, apart from THAT scene). Maybe it was my age, but this felt like the best book I'd ever read.

I was blown away and had to find out what else this King guy had written (which was only a handful of novels at the time). So the next one I borrow is The Shining. I've been a fan for life ever since.

Maybe he's written some more subtle work since, but this story was a formative influence and I will always love it. You may not listen to that Sex Pistols album so much anymore, but isn't it great to know it's still there to remind you?

4.0 out of 5 stars His First Novel - Definitely Worth A Read, 17 May 2004
Scottish Dave (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
Having seen the film and read many of King's other books, the time was right to read Carrie, his first published novel.
Carrie is a teenager who leads a sheltered life and is brought up by her insanely religious mother. Carrie is humiliated and bullied at school. When it looks like Carrie is just about to be eventually accepted at school she faces her worst humiliation......and seeks revenge.
I would agree with Stephen King's feeling that this book is "raw" but it is still highly enjoyable and original. I enjoyed the way that the story was told partly in the first person and then partly by newspaper stories and other such excerpts from materials published after the events that unfold.
Not King's best work but very much worth reading and better than some of his more recent work. 7/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars First and best?, 12 May 2004
Jane Aland (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
Thirty years on, Stephen King's debut novel still reads like a dream. Shorn of the bloated page counts that would become the norm for his later work, the plot of Carrie moves at a lightning pace, and even after several reads the sheer momentum of events make this a novel hard to put down.
What makes Carrie timeless is the theme of bullying, and Carrie herself - the perpetual underdog - has the reader's sympathy throughout. Casting the character who would normally be the villain as the heroine (for want of a better word) is a masterstroke; the reader wants Carrie to succeed, but her doom is inescapable.
Stephen King has written a number of good books, but for emotional engagement and storytelling punch it's still difficult to find anything to top his debut. Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where it all began, 28 Jun 2013
Simon Edwards (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
It was like love at first sight when I first picked up this novel at the age of thirteen, loving the front cover of a girl with blood dripping down her face. I was attracted to it immediately and it would be a love affair that has lasted fifteen years.

I had just lost my dad and was completely depressed. Within the first few lines of this debut novel by my all-time favourite write Stephen King, I immediately forgot all my troubles and concerns and was engrossed within the story of the "ugly duckling girl" that was tormented by her peers, tortured emotionally and physically by her religiously demented mother and had a rare gift - the gift of telekinesis - that allowed her to move objects with her mind. I felt sorry for Carrie and suddenly started wishing that I had a gift like this, but the genius of King is the way he is able to twist this wonderful rare talent into the ultimate nightmare.

Carrie is a simple story of how a girl who has no friends, suddenly discovers the idea of women growing up and discovering her first period, a trauma for her brought on by the fact that she believes she is dying, as well as the fact that her peers believe this is just a funny joke that they can use to abuse Carrie with. This is the catalyst that starts the whole horror of what the novel Carrie really is. Through the use of false interviews and made-up articles written by King himself, the reader learns the true horror of what this girl possesses and what she has to go through to get to the point of prom night where she will use her power to enact vengeance on those that have tortured her.

The real horror is more so for the reader who is drawn into the entire drama, waiting to see what happens, wondering just where the horror will end - the way in which Carrie is treated both by her peers and her mother, and what she is forced to endure is probably more horrific than the way in which she enforces her power on the towns-people.

Carrie, the book, has often been criticised by a lot of readers as being very raw and only showing the tip of the ice berg towards King's talent. Yes, this is a debut novel and King is still finding his way through his talent, but the rawness and naivetés is what makes this one of King's most popular and enduring novels that bounds the reader under some sort of spell in which they cannot put the book down. I have read this numerous times and I never get tired of it. It shows King as a great story teller who really knows how to engage his audience and make them want to come back for more.

I first read Carrie fifteen years ago and I have never looked back since. Over the years I've discovered new books by King and discovered his talent doesn't dim but grows and he is one of those rare writers where if you were to read the same book again, it will become better for you rather than tedious. I do not consider Carrie to be the best of his novels - how could it be with all those other works of genius he has written, but it is one of my favourite and most treasured as it was the first of his novels that I read; I read it when I was going through the worst period of my life and it got me through some really bad times. It is a fantastic story with a great heart, a well written tale of sweet revenge and consequence. It is one of those books that a lot of people can identify with as it gives a clear understanding of what school is really like, both for the victim and the bully. I cannot rave about this novel enough. It is a truly wonderful book and if you haven't read Stephen King before, this is a good place to start. If you have read him before, you are in for a treat and will not be disappointed - if you have read this novel before, read it again. It's just as good, if not better, the second time. It's the debut of one of the most talented writers who has ever put pen to paper. It made me become a fan!

Carrie (King Classics)
Carrie (King Classics) by Stephen King (Paperback - 7 Sep 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01