5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Second Book in the Series
The only thing that confuses me about these books is.....why aren't more people reading them they're great and virtually as good as Simon Scarrow. The price of this book has dropped already!

Published on 4 May 2010 by Je Salter

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrows of Fury
Published on 4 Oct. 2011 by Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Second Book in the Series, 4 May 2010
Je Salter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrows of Fury: Empire II (Hardcover)

Like a lot of people I found the first book in the series by accident on the shelves of Waterstones. It was sat there all alone and I'd never heard of the author. However, being a 'history geek' and after discovering it was about Roman Britain, I decided it was worth giving it the benefit of the doubt.

The first book in the series took Anthony Riches fourteen years to write (I believe) but he didnt have a deadline and was doing it for pleasure more than anything else and 'giving writing a go!' I saved reading that book for when I was on holiday in Scotland and found it 'kind of' enhanced the experience (being surrounded by the Mountains of the Highlands).

I couldnt put the first book down and enjoyed every page, the characters and the story. Being a history buff and especially of the Roman era and more importantly Roman Britain and Simon Scarrow etc etc, I was like a kid in a sweet shop when I discovered the subject matter and was even happier when I found that Mr Riches story telling was not only comparable to Mr Scarrow but had elements of real history included.

Considering that Anthony Riches had merely months to write the second in the series, he has done a masterful job and produced another winner in my opinion. Unlike some authors who gloss over the real aspects and fundamentally more important elements of the era, Riches gets down to brass tacks and doesnt 'fluff' up the story and tells it like we think it was.

Calgus the Britons Chieftan in the region who was victorious against a legion who he crushed and virtually destroyed, is looking to defeat the Romans and push them south. He allies himself with other tribes but defeating the invaders is not his only goal.

Centurion Corvus is attempting to keep a low profile in the wind swept and rain soaked north as he has been labelled an enemy of Rome by the Emperor. However, due to his leadership and tactical know how and his own ability fight man to man, he is quickly making a name for himself which attracts the more insideous side of certain soldiers who are supposed to be fighting with him.

Arrows of Fury is a no frills, edge of Empire, rain, dirt, fear engulfed, battle ridden, bravery soaked, full of conspiracies and traitors absorbed tail which are all included in a great second book in the series. I look forward in great anticipation the the next installment 10/10!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real Triumph, 4 July 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arrows of Fury: Empire II (Hardcover)
As a huge fan of Roman Historical Fiction I've always loved books set within the United Kingdom as it's a chance for the reader to explore their heritage. What makes Anthony's work even more special for me, is that its set on Hadrian's Wall, which having grown up in Cumbria, is a place I'm more than familiar with.

With this being the second, and perhaps most difficult novel in a series for an author to write I was a little apprehensive as to how the title would develop and whether the characters would be as fun and fresh as I remembered or if they'd grow to acclimatise to their new domain. What Anthony does extremely well is writing combat sequences and when backed up with characters that you've come to care for makes it even more heart-stopping as each steps into the battle line. Add to the mix great villains, cracking dialogue and above all a soldier's humour that just oozes from within the pages and it's a title that I really can't recommend enough.

Finally I want to wish Anthony the very best for his Help the Heroes Charity Walk (in full Roman Military gear.)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent follow up, 24 April 2012
I've waited until I finished the third book in this series before posting a review of any of them, and for a particular reason. Most of the historical series I've read consist of a new separate story with each book, often defined by a narrator's pause or some such device. Most series are different stories with different themes that build a series.

Wile clearly part of a series, Tony's first three Empire books are different. To me they follow on so closely and seamlessly that the series so far could easily be seen as one huge story spread over three books with appropriate pauses between releases. The stories are readable independently, for sure, but the best will be got from them by reading them one after the other. Quite simply, you can't read one book of this series without wanting to go on with the story. In order to get the best from the story, you need to read them all, and for the best possible results, I would suggest back-to-back.

A second thing that I would say that concerns each of Tony's works is what I consider his greatest strength as an author: The gritty military reality of his tale-telling. I have spent some time in my life, in a civilian situation but alongside men of military units, and there is something so authentic about Tony's characterisation that it felt truly familiar and real. You will find it hard to disbelieve anything about Tony's depiction of the legions, auxiliary troopers, the cavalry, their structure, style, attitude and actions. While no one can confirm exactly how soldiers then spoke and acted, it's hard to believe they were any different from the modern military and Tony has made these ancient soldiers understandable and relevant to the modern reader.

I feel that it is better for me to review the series as a whole, which I have given an appropriate 5 stars of 5, and then add a short section on the individual novel. I find it almost impossible to put down Tony's books and eagerly await the Leopard Sword to see what new direction the series might take.

Book Two

Arrows of fury follows up perfectly from Wounds of honour, and takes the action to a new level, concentrating more this time on the war that was the impetus and background of the first book, the Tribal leader who has become the great antagonist of the Empire series and the campaigns of great leaders (and occasionally of chinless idiots.)

Alongside this great military campaign, we experience the machinations of wicked and stupid men and best of all heroics from the most unexpected quarters. The Hamian unit that are the reason for the book's name simply blew me away and made me reassess the importance of missile troops in the Roman military. I have come to love Qadir as a character. Arrows of fury doesn't just follow on from Wounds of Honour, but builds on it, introducing wonderful new characters and elements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the first, if not better, 30 Aug. 2011
Kate (Oxford, Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having thoroughly enjoyed the first in Anthony Riches' Empire series, Wounds of Honour: v. 1 (Empire), I am delighted but not surprised that the second outing for Centurion Corvus and his brothers in arms is if anything even better.

The action, set in the 2nd century AD, still takes place on and around Hadrian's Wall but now we know that little bit more about Marcus `Two Knives' Corvus, Julius, Dubnus, Rufius, Felicia and the men of the 1st Tungrian Cohort. Chieftain Calgus continues to plot the demise of Roman rule on his land but this is not the only threat that young Corvus faces. Knowledge about his true identity is spreading amongst their rival cohort, the 2nd Tungrians, a situation which gets worse when the 2nd steals most of the replacements intended for the 1st, who were decimated during their heroic stand during the Battle of the Lost Eagle. Corvus' bravery wins over the new Prefect Scaurus, with whom the young centurion makes a pact.

Marcus Corvus also takes the risky military decision to work with the only replacements available, two cohorts of Syrian archers, the Hamians, led by Qadir, a very likeable addition to the series. As time goes by, and despite the jeers of the Tungrians and in spite of being so far from terrain and warfare that's familiar to them, the Hamians prove their honour. They don the armour, march at speed for miles until their feet bleed, and try to get to grips with the Roman spear (and the repartee that goes with it).

Throughout the Empire series, Anthony Riches' expertise and learning in everything Roman military shines through and this knowledge adds a detail and authenticity that is unique. Daily life as a Roman soldier - in camp and on the march, battle scenes, skirmishes, medicine and, not least, the dialogue between soldiers, rings true. This is demonstrated in the transformation of the Hamians, in the soldiers' code and in the action, which is jampacked throughout Arrows of Fury.

Not all of the Romans are good here - there is a very enjoyable baddie - and not all of the blue noses are bad. What matters is honour and valour and, if you have those, your origin is less important. After all, the Roman army, as we see here, was a right mix. Far away from the less than perfect influence of the emperor Commodus, the Tungrians fight their battles and make their own justice on the very edge of the empire. On now to Fortress of Spears: Empire III.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Four Musketeers, 3 May 2010
James Eves "applegarth" (London,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrows of Fury: Empire II (Hardcover)
After a very good first outing of Marcus Valeruis Aquila,one wonders if the second will live up to the first adventure,i can happily report that it does.Marcus or should i say Centurion Corvus of the 1st Tungrian cohort is still on the Northern frontier,but this time i feel that our story is more about brothers in arm`s,as we find out more about the relationship between Marcus,Ruffius,Dubnus and Juluis,as they train the Syrian Archers to adapt to the rigour`s of Legion life.We also have the intrigue of the double dealing of the Briton`s as Calgus set`s up Martos in his quest for another victory over the Romans.All this gives us the ingredients of a novel that takes us into the hart of the battle,standing toe to toe in the sheild wall.Anthony Riches joins the growing ranks of Simon Scarrow,Harry Sidebottom,Douglas Jackson,Ben Kane and John Stack, along with meny more who take us for a walk with the Roman Legions.Much more of Marcus and the 1st Tungrian please.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent follow up to Wounds of Honour., 14 May 2015
The perfect companion for all Roman history enthusiasts is THE ROMA VICTRIX WINE BEAKERCalix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker

Arrows of fury is the sequel to Anthony Riches first novel Wounds of Honour and again follows the actions of his hero Marcus (now Centurion Corvus) and the First Cohort of Tungrians he is serving with. Following the devastating losses to the Roman military incurred at the 'Battle of Lost Eagle' reinforcements have been sent into the North of Britain unfortunately not all of them entirely suitable for service in a well below fighting strength infantry unit such as the Tungrians.

In this sequel Anthony Riches does not disappoint, as with his previous novel, the narrative is exciting, gritty, realistic, and fast paced. His historical knowledge on Rome and her Legions is second to none. I lived on Hadrian's wall for some time and walked its length on a number of occasions, therefore I can attest to the authors in-depth knowledge, both historically and geographically. Highly recommended.

For those who would like further information on this epoch I highly recommend the OSPREY Campaign, Warrior, and men at arms booklets, with great overviews, excellent illustrations, and highly detailed maps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fiction at its best, 12 Jun. 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arrows of Fury: Empire II (Hardcover)
I stumbled across Anthony's first book last year and being a fan of various series like Simon Scarrows eagle's books, Christian Cameron Tyrant series and Conn Igguldens Genghis Series, my first thought was "excellent, another series to read" . Im a fast reader and always after something new.

BUT...would it be any good?

I didn't need to worry book one Wounds of Honour and this sequel Arrows of Fury are excellent, a true example of how this genre should be written, full of action, pace, drama and twists. Couple that with brilliant characters that literally leap off the page, and you have books that you cannot put down.

I devoured book two in a single sitting and then went back and re-read it and enjoyed it more the second time, the true mark of a great book and writer is the ability to re-read their work and still enjoy it to find new parts to appreciate with every read.

I would recommend this book to anyone, you don't have to be a fan of historical fiction, you could be a fan of any Genre and still enjoy this book, its that good.

Book three cannot come soon enough for me.....So crack on Anthony!!
{Parm}

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow up to great debut, 7 Jan. 2011
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arrows of Fury: Empire II (Hardcover)
The follow up to the author's first novel and it's just as good. Comparison to the Scarrow novels is easy and slightly lazy, but I am going to do it anyway. I think these are better, with the perfect combination of banter, comradeship and professionalism in the Roman ranks along with the expected bad guys and treachery. But it is delivered well and this is entertaining, easy reading and the pages certainly whizzed by!

Here our lead character Marcus (still in hiding from the Emperor) is given a bunch of Syrian archers to turn into foot soldiers before their inexperience gets them (and their Roman colleagues) slaughtered. A lot of modern thrillers and action novels paint some from the Middle East as potential bad guys, here the author presents the Syrian as cultured, noble and skilled and that made a refreshing change I have to say. So we have Marcus, the Legions (along with their new archers) fighting the barbarians (mainly us - the British!) on and about Hadrian's Wall.

Great stuff and recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars arrows of fury, 3 May 2010
C. Woodward (cheshire england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrows of Fury: Empire II (Hardcover)
I came across the first book of this series by accident and found it unputdownable, having reread it several times with equal enjoyment I looked forward to the second one and was not disappointed. When do we get no. 3?

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrows of Fury, 4 Oct. 2011
Steve "Trajan" (Northern England) - See all my reviews
Second book in the trilogy. This book gives a taste of what it must have been like for Roman legionaries posted to the northern border of the Empire along the forts of Hadrian's Wall during the latter half of the second century AD. The harsh life of a soldier with the ever present threat of brutal hand to hand fighting with the local tribes is expressed. The only thing I found as bit off putting was some of the trivial dialogue between the characters with the use of modern day language and expressions although no doubt, they probably spoke like that during the second century only in latin. I would have also prefered words like "Primus Pilus" instead of First Spear. The combat was powerful writing though and gave a taste of the sheer terror of fighting for one's life against a six foot Brigante tribesman wealding an axe.

Arrows of Fury: Empire II
Arrows of Fury: Empire II by Anthony Riches (Hardcover - 29 April 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01