4.0 out of 5 stars One for Roman history fans
This book fits neatly into the Roman fictional history genre and has a well researched structure similar to Harry Sidebottom's books, whilst containing plenty of action reminiscent of Simon Scarrow.

The author has quite cleverly created a unique and subtle writing style where the reader learns more about Roman military life and social customs, but in a way...
Published on 6 Nov 2009 by J. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent cross between Rosemary Sutcliffe and Bernard Cornwell
Aiming for a cross between the old-fashioned adventures of Rosemary Sutcliffe's classic young adult adventure stories and the grittier approach of Bernard Cornwell's novels, Anthony Riches' Wounds of Honour gets off to a terrible start with an atrociously written opening chapter. It's not so much what happens as how it's described, which reads like a collection of every...
Published on 29 Feb 2012 by Trevor Willsmer

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 1st in the series, 21 May 2014
I took a gamble amongst the many Roman historical novels here and I'm so glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed this book. So much so, that I bought book 2 immediately and have just finished it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast moving story and a great read, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Wounds of Honour: 1 (Empire) (Paperback)
I read this book in two days as it totally hooked me very early on.

The story of a Marcus, a soldier forced into exile on Hadrians wall due to political cruelty in Rome against his family. The story is about Marcus escaping execution, joining an auxiliary cohort and becoming accepted by his fellow officers. Running through this process of getting 'settled in' to the cohorts routine is the ever present danger of being found by 'Rome' and a battle with the northern tribes lead by Galgus.

The author had obviously researched the history of the period in detail which adds to the enjoyment. Roll on the second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wounds of honour, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Wounds of Honour: 1 (Empire) (Paperback)
I have read many historical fiction novels about the Romans and their way of life around their empire and "their" wars/ fights-land or sea over the years. I can honestly say "What did the Romans do for us?" Well they a lot for me personally with books like this!!! Buy, read and enjoy! I will be ordering the sequel asap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Enjoyable, 23 Aug 2010
P. Brooks "Peter Brooks" (Manchester, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wounds of Honour: 1 (Empire) (Paperback)
At the moment there is a whole bucket full of "Historical Fiction" covering the roman Empire and a good thing too! Mr Riches offering is a good paced novel with good detail and believable action - the story is oddly familiar one not unlike Mr Scarrow's Macro and Cato novels, though set in a later period and with a strong focus on the Auxiliary Infantry of Roman Britain all mixed up with Imperial Intrigue. I've already got the second novel "Arrows of Fury" (Paperback) on pre-order and look forward to what I feel will be a Classic series of Novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow....what a read!, 22 July 2010
This review is from: Wounds of Honour: 1 (Empire) (Paperback)
If you are in to historical fiction and you like the Roman era then this is the book for you. It is filled with action from the very start to the finish and very well written.....I loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover!, 16 Oct 2009
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first received this book for review I thought "Oh no, it looks like one of those dreadful Conn Iggulden sagas" and I seriously considered putting it in the recycling bin without reading the first word. However, I thought I'd give the first couple of chapters a fair go and was very pleasantly surprised to find the author tipping his hat to Steven Pressfield for inspiration and thanking the remarkable Kevan White for assistance with the historical detail and figured it was worth pursuing. I have to say that the first couple of chapters did very little to impress and I was left with the feeling that I'd read it all before but after that I began to warm to it and the characters in the story. Unfortunately, it's not in Pressfield's league but ten few are. Mercifully, it is infinitely better than that drivel spouted by Conn Iggulden in his laughable Emperor books, and Anthony Riches stands up well against the likes of Bernard Cornwell and Simon Scarrow. Okay, so the characters are a bit thin and some of the historic detail (the Roman naming structure, for example) is distinctly ropey, but the overall feel of the story of one man lying low after being falsely labelled as a traitor of Rome and getting up to very bloody adventures along the way is engaging enough. This is the first of a three part series and I suppose the acid test is if this will inspire me to read the others in the series and the answer is yes it will. It's a long way short of being a great novel but as a first go at a Roman military page-turner it does rather well and the author deserves credit at least making an effort to get it right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roman Drama on Hadrians Wall, 6 Oct 2009
Mr. William Oxley "oxenblocks" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A cracking debut novel from military historian, Antony Riches, that surpasses Simon Scarrow's Cato series for tension and action.

Marcus Valerius has been sent by his father to the furthest Roman outpost. With his father declared a traitor Marcus has to hide out as a Centurion in a locally recruited Cohort. But he has to prove himself to his new Cohort and Century if he is to avoid falling on his sword, and so revenge his family. To aid him he has Rufius, a clever Roman Centurion of experience, and Dubnus, a strong local greatly respected by his peers.

This is a fast paced story of a Roman Centurion establishing his right to lead, fighting the local barbarians, and surviving, political intrigue.

I really enjoyed the book and will buy the next two in what should be an entertaining trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CRACKING GOOD READ, 30 Sep 2009
A. Taylor (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The title relly says it all. This really is a cracking good read set during the reign of Commodus of 'Gladiator' fame, so we are talking late 180's or very early 190's A.D. here, and most of the action takes places around or, along, Hadrian's all. The story starts with a fight and rattles along at a fair old pace for the rest of the book. The characters are all interesting and believeable as is the story line if occassionally a 'little' contrived. It's also nice to have dialog that doen't sound like it's straight out of a US marine corps manual :-). Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent debut., 30 Sep 2009
Mr. A. J. D. White - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book, and at times it had me reading until 2-3 in the morning when I should have been asleep. Mr Riches has a deft touch and painted a believable enough portrait of life in the Roman era on Hadrian's wall. However the book wasn't without its short comings, Mr Riches left no stone unturned in his quest for clichés and predictable plot hooks/reveals. His handling of some of the exposition (particularly at the start of the book) came across as stilted and far to portentous. Whist I did like his translation of location names back to their Roman meanings I would have also liked an appendix to give them their modern names, I would also have liked a historical note to say what was real, inspired and artistic license (something I think every historical novel should have).

This novel is the 1st in a trilogy that has already been signed I believe, and I will definitely be checking out the next novel. I just hope that Mr Riches will look beyond the clichés and give us something that is truly original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Empire - Worlds of Honour, 28 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Empire is a Roman historical novel rather remiscent of the Eagle series. It is the first part of a triology titled Wounds of Honour, which is great as I enjoyed every page and I am eager for the next book. I have no doubt they all will become a best sellers.
The year is 182 AD. The location is the north of Britain where Roman Legions are guarding Hadrians Wall.
Commodus is Emperor in Rome where plots abound and the hero Marcus a Roman Tribune is sent to Britain to protect him from his father's enemies. This is unsucessful and Marcus must adopt a new identity to survive.
The story then follows his fortune into history. One of the major uprising of the northern tribes is about to happen.

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

Wounds of Honour: 1 (Empire)
Wounds of Honour: 1 (Empire) by Anthony Riches (Paperback - 4 Mar 2010)
5.59