5.0 out of 5 stars You can bury the past, but it never dies...
Grace Adams appears to be living a happy contented life in the same village near St Andrews in Scotland where she was raised. Married to Paul and the mother of twin teenage daughters, Grace spends her time painting and caring for her family. Life is good, or so it seems.
Published on 9 May 2011 by Jennifer

3.0 out of 5 stars Can You Escape?
On the whole, I enjoyed this book. It's a good debut and I think that Corbin will go from strength to strength.
However, I struggled to find anything about Grace (the lead character) to like, it's hard to want the 'good' guy to come out on top when you don't actually care about them.
I felt that the story drifted off from time to time but was pleased that I...
Published on 11 May 2012 by Lincs Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars You can bury the past, but it never dies..., 9 May 2011
Jennifer "Jen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
The truth is, Grace has been hiding a secret for many years. A secret she has slowly came to terms with and managed to live with. That is until out of the blue, Grace receives a phone call from her childhood best friend, Orla, who she hasn't seen or spoken to for years - for good reason.

With just one phone call, Grace's idyllic life is turned upside down as Orla threatens to expose the very secret Grace has kept hidden all these years. You see, only Orla and Grace know the truth about what happened to a nine year old girl called Rose whilst on a Girl Guide's camping trip all those years ago and whilst Grace never wants the truth to come out, Orla it seems now has other ideas. Grace finally has to face her worst fears as she realises that her dark secret is not going to remain buried forever.

Tell Me No Secrets is a psychological thriller set against a familiar, normal domestic backdrop. Grace is an ordinary working mother with a hard-working husband and teenage twin daughters. They lead a happy life in the village where Grace was raised. Indeed some of her childhood friends have also married and remained in the village, where everyone seems to know each other. Although Grace and her husband lived in the States after their marriage, Paul thought it would be ideal to raise their daughters 'back home' and so they returned. Grace had her misgivings about returning to her childhood home as she desperately has tried to leave the past behind, however, as Paul is oblivious to Grace's 'secret' she could not provide much of an argument against returning home. She has made the best of things however, until she receives the phone call that throws her life into turmoil.

he phone call from Orla is where the book begins. So instantly I was drawn into and intrigued by this 'secret' which Grace has kept to herself for years. From the start, the book has a very readable quality to it, despite it not being pacy or action-packed.
The story slowly unfolds and is mixed with flashbacks to Grace's childhood as well as revealing exactly what the secret is that Grace has kept hidden since then and how she has coped over the ensuing years.
I immediately warmed to Grace and I enjoyed the characterisation throughout the book. All characters are well-developed with interesting traits and also there are no long or meaningless descriptions. Everything seems to be included for a reason, which becomes more apparent as you turn the pages.

I did think for a short time that this book was going to be an average read as well as a predicitive one, but I was wrong, as little twists appeared to alter my thoughts. About half-way through, the story became more exciting as I realised there was in fact a lot more to it than I first thought. Some characters were not as they first seemed and I found I was changing my thoughts about them as the story unfolded. It was I thought, quite cleverly done and towards the end of the book, I found it very difficult to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 15 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
Could not put this book down.Its a brilliant read......love,secrets, suspense, betrayal all mixed in with every day life, The story of Grace and her friend Orla filled me with many different emotions.
I felt sorry for Grace at times, and then I felt I could choke her, then the suspense was killing me so much I could not wait to reach the end of the book to find out the outcome.As for Orla she made me angry, I would love to have shouted at her, given her a good shake, she is a nasty piece of work but then I found myself asking...... WHY? This is Julie Corbins first novel and one I would recommend.You will get so involved with the characters,you might even be able to relate to them,but be assured you will be thinking about them long after the book has ended. This book is one to get lost in and one to make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, tense, all-consuming, fast-paced story, 22 April 2009
M. Parks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Hardcover)
Grace is totally consumed by guilt. She lives with it her whole adult life, she feels like she's made amends in the only way she knew how, until a blast from the past threatens to rip her life apart. She is tortured and tormented and the author gets inside the character's head so completely that we feel every ounce of Grace's guilt and anxiety. There is tension on every page and the story of what really happened is gradually revealed in engaging flashbacks. Like the other reviewers, I couldn't put the book down and read it everywhere; the characters and story stayed with me long after I'd closed the covers.

I'd definitely recommend this book as one to get lost in, to take on a journey, or to curl up with on the sofa under a blanket!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Tell Him., 28 Oct. 2009
J. Cook "Anna" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
There are some good new female thriller writers about at the moment, that I've discovered this year - S J Bolton, Abbie Taylor and now Julie Corbin.
Tell Me No Secrets is a gripping, edge of the seat story about Grace who is so consumed by guilt that it's still ruling her life years later. I think most of us can identify with the feeling of a black cloud of worry hanging over us at some point in our lives, and because the characters are so well observed this really enables us to empathise with Grace's predicament. In her shoes I think I would have confessed, as I could barely take the strain just reading about it, let alone living it.
I thought I'd worked out the ending (terrible habit of mine) pretty early on, but it's not until the story unfolds and a greater insight is gained about the characters' pasts that I began to realise that it wasn't quite as straightforward as I'd imagined. I will definitely be looking out for the author's next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can You Escape?, 11 May 2012
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
I felt that the story drifted off from time to time but was pleased that I hadn't guessed whodunnit - I hate it when I've worked out the plot well before the end.
An easy read though and I'll certainly read her next novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars tell me no secrets, 30 Jun. 2012
this is a page turner; an excellent read.It tells the story of Grace who is happily married;husband, two teenage girls and a very idyllic life.Until one day out of the blue all that is in danger of being destroyed.Into the picture comes a childhood friend who is sly, deceitful, utterly vindictive and has only one aim and that is to completely shatter Grace`s life.An event that happened when the two of them were teenage friends has haunted Grace from that time on,this, if told to the man she has married would end any happiness they have.The story moves along well, it is easy to get into,it goes from past to present,but only in fairly small chapters so you do not lose sight of the present day story line which holds all the anguish and torment that Grace is feeling.there is of course a twist at the end as i had the feeling that things would be slightly different to what you are being lead towards.I very soon felt great sympathy towards Grace as she was about to loose everything on the whim of a so-called friend who is not such a friend after all.She had been so traumatised at the time of the event,and had only managed to bury it away in the back of her mind through the help of Euan a boyfrind at the time.He is on the scene again in the present, only this time he has married, but this does not stop him from persuing Grace,and when the viscious friend appears he is there to comfort her. Needless to say no -one is completely truthful which makes for a nice little twist at the end.i recommend this book if you like a book ,easy to read uncomplicated but a cast of characters that are well portrayed and true to life.I have not read any of this authors works until now but will be looking for anything else she has written and hope any other work will be just as enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific new author, 8 May 2011
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
Oh my goodness what a book! The feeling of mounting, insidious menace is so skillfully handled that you just have to keep on reading. Very believable at all times (quite a feat in itself) with the plot cleverly meted out, the main character - Grace - doesn't always elicit your full sympathy because of her gullibility, but it is also that that makes her very human and therefore credible. And then there's Orla, the "friend" from the past with quite her own agenda and, although you think you can see what's coming at the hands of this truly scary female, it is the escalation of it and the little twists that makes this terrific book one of the best of its type I have read in years. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing debut novel!, 30 April 2009
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
Brilliant, brilliant book written beautifully! From the opening sentence to the end I was drawn into the lives of the characters, loving the way Julie chose to slowly tell you more about the secrets that entwined them - but not too much, just enough to make you want to carry onto the next chapter. It's a believable story which is why it makes it hard to put the book down. Can not wait for Julies next novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden depths, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
What a great debut novel.

Grace has tried all her life to put her past behind her but it keeps on catching up with her. Jumping back and forth from present to past with great ease, the story of the death of a young girl which has repercussions as sure as the ripples in the deep pool in which she died builds tension right from the start.

The lead character Grace is deeply flawed by circumstances and follwoing her involvement in the death of young Rose when Grace was a teenager is something which still haunts her. Living in a small Scottish fishing community means that many of the people she meets on a daily basis are people she grew up with and all have their own secrets to be kept.

But when her childhood friend Orla suddenly reappears on her radar, alarm bells sound loudly. Orla was manipulative as a teenager and she knows the truth behind the lies and with them has the power to destroy Graces fragile stability forever. Even though Grace is doing a pretty good job of this herself with her poor decisions, flaky nature and tenuous grasp on keeping herself and her family together she is desperate to prevent Orla ripping her life apart.

Tense and thought provoking this is a psychological chiller of the very best kind which has you reading on into the night.

I'm very much looking forward to reading this authors next book - a real find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant New Author, 7 July 2010
Jenna (Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell Me No Secrets (Paperback)
This is a brilliant first novel, full of atmosphere and tension. Grace lives a life which is haunted by the memory of a 9 year old girl called Rose who died by drowning in a pond during a guide camping trip. Her life has never been the same since, as she, Euan and Orla carry secrets about what really happened that fateful night.
Having not seen Orla for many years, she suddenly appears back on the scene and is threatening to tell all. But what is the truth? This is a multi layered story which manages to avoid becoming too complicated, thus keeping the reader's focus and attention on the things that matter. Keeping secrets is very hard work, and Grace, Orla and Euan each have their own reasons for not being rigorously honest. It can't last, and the buried truth finally comes to light.
I like the way the author portrays the character of Grace. She is suitably flawed, whereas if she had been sweet and innocent it would have spoiled the whole thing. If I have a slight criticism, it would be that very little came as a complete surprise at the end. I did anticipate most of the outcome, although I must admit not all of the details. Nevertheless I found this a very gripping read, and would highly recommend it. I also look forward to reading more from this talented new author.

Tell Me No Secrets
Tell Me No Secrets by Julie Corbin (Paperback - 23 July 2009)