Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 June 2009
This is a superb little book and is the ideal companion for when you are out and about cloud spotting. It's just the right size to put in a pocket too. The book is packed with great pictures and gives a brief but very descriptive write-up on the cloud in question. There is also a space to fill out where and when you spotted a certain cloud with points awarded too, this could be handy for children (and competitive adults!) if they have a general interest in the weather.

This book will be constantly by my side as I'm sure it will get used daily. For those of you who want to look at more clouds don't forget to have a look at the Cloud Appreciation web site where there is a huge selection of photos.
on 12 July 2009
Ezxcellent as I said I've had it with me ever since ...full of interesting facts, figures and even better pictures. I'd reccommend this book to anyone who looks skywards ...from behind a window or in the great outdoors.
on 6 July 2009
A nice compact but comprehensive wee book. I keep one at home and one in the car. Illustrations quite small and not up to photo quality but sufficient to distinguish the differences.
on 25 December 2009
Not that that is such a terrible thing.

Be prepared to spend your idle hours glancing skyward 'spotting' clouds, for this book is a spotter guide. You get points for each type of cloud you spot and extra points if it has a 'special feature'. There is space to record where and when you spotted your cloud - and even what the weather was like.

This little book is so informative that you will soon be regaling family and friends with your new found wisdom regarding clouds - and indeed, the type of weather certain clouds bring with them.

This book is small enough to fit nicely in your handbag/pocket - and the when you score your first points - you feel very satisfied. You may even want to join the Cloud Appreciation Society - but again, be warned - if you do, there is no going back! And you will very soon be singing the praises of all types of cloud (except the altostratus - which everyone agrees is the most boring of all the clouds).
on 14 July 2009
First of all the book is well made(a small hardback with rounded corners) which makes its easy to carry in your pocket or car without getting damaged.
There is a good mixture of wit and information and the photos are excellent. Its a bit like having a friendly scientist by your side and there are references if you want more technical information but for me the balance is just right.
With the scoring system there is a feel of a 21st century I-Spy book.
on 19 July 2009
If you have ever holidayed in Britain and cursed the clouds, buy this book! You will find yourself suddenly fascinated and often charmed by each and every whisp in the wide blue, and enthusiastically taking photos, exclaiming 'Ooh look! Cumulo Nimbus headed our way!' instead of groaning 'O Oh, looks like thunder'!

Wittily written, excellently illustrated and brimming with the fun of 'collecting' different types of cloud, the Cloud Collectors Handbook should reside in every glove compartment, rucksack or handbag, next to a handy camera with which to record your finds.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2009
At last, after years of closet cloud watching, with phrases such as "big, fluffy ones" at my disposal, Gavin Pretor-Pinney's little handbook has arrived to help me out. I feel as though I have been gifted with a new language, as I begin to fit the luscious Latin of Altocumulus and Nimbostratus, to those wandering white things in the sky.

The book contains short, light-hearted descriptions of the 10 main cloud types, followed by species and varieties. It also has "other" clouds and their optical effects covered. The descriptions are good enough to cloud spot with a reasonable level of accuracy, and the photographs (2 or 3 for each description) are doubly helpful. Image quality, whilst not perfect, is no obstacle to identifying clouds. Also useful are the "Don't confuse with" tips, which differentiate between similar cloud types.

Much as I love watching and photographing clouds, I didn't buy this book to "collect" them, but rather as a field guide for when I'm out and about; for which purpose it's excellent. However, if you're a dedicated cloud spotter, you can play the game, and collect points for each cloud spotted, with room to note the date, time, location and weather conditions... and there's even a line for an image file reference if you've got your camera to hand.

Clouds have never been so fascinating, or amazing, and from the falling ice-crystal sighs of Cirrus, to the explosive Cumulonimbus, the ephemeral beauty of the skies above my head has become more complex, but more fathomable, thanks to this little book. Oh, and The Cloud Collector's Handbook does fit in my trouser pocket, though it sticks out a bit; it's light and slim (even in hardback), and perfect for a jacket pocket.
on 17 December 2009
I have always had an interest in clouds and joining the Cloud Appreciation Society was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. When an email came with reviews and things for sale I saw the Cloud Collecters Handbook and ordered one right away. It came a little late because it mistakenly was sent to Iran but I did get it in great shape and I really like it and am so very glad to have it.
on 6 July 2009
This is a really sweet little book. I tend to be much more appreciative of clouds and spend a lot more timing looking at them. The book is good to take out and about. It has whetted my appetite and I am now interested in finding out more with a more substantial book. I first heard about this book after watching the writer on TV doing an hour long programme on clouds, his enthusiasm is boundless. There is also a cloud appreciation society that I thought would be fun to join.
on 12 July 2009
Marvellous book - I Spy for grown ups. Long may Gavin Pretor-Pinney and the Cloud Appreciation Society continue.