1,108 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fergie - bloody hell!
I would have read this book in my own time, but the hyperbole and screaming headlines in the press, and reactions from those allegedly disrespected, prompted me to buy and read it quickly. After all, the single star reviews on Amazon were prolific and, if accurate, showed two surprising facts: 1) Sir Alex had betrayed the club; 2) there had been a sudden increase in the...
Published 13 months ago by Paul Comerford

3.0 out of 5 stars Fergie Time
[ Review of the original version ]

I was looking forward to this as although I'm not a United fan (Millwall, for my sins) I enjoy football and cannot help but admire the man who dragged United out of the doldrums to domestic and European success and for so long. However when asked my opinion of this book, my response has invariably been "not great". The early...
Published 9 days ago by tallpete33

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and interesting autobiography from one of the greatest football managers of all time, 17 Nov 2014
This review is from: Alex Ferguson My Autobiography (Hardcover)
An engaging and interesting autobiography from one of the greatest football managers of all time. A very distinctive and legendary character in sport.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would consider it a good book, despite being an Arsenal fan, 31 Aug 2014
I would consider it a good book, despite being an Arsenal fan! Quite revealing and insightful, but not as much as the first book, and indeed not as good overall. I've seen it priced at £25 for the Hardcover, for which I most certainly would not have considered good value. It was much cheaper on the Kindle though of course, and I was happy with my purchase in the end. I would certainly recommend the book, even to non-United fans, but not at £25!

5.0 out of 5 stars Football bloody hell, 20 Oct 2014
Not just a book for the boyhood fans that have followed Manchester United all their lives but a book that looks into the very soul of management. Sir Alex Ferguson is known as possibly the greatest football manager of all time and despite your football allegiances this book discusses the psychology, strategy, will and determination of one man to turn a club into a juggernaut. An epic read for any fan

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 29 Oct 2013
G. Walker (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alex Ferguson My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This book could have been a sporting classic. However, it flatters to deceive and leaves the reader feeling disappointed and a little unsure of the motive for its writing.

Instead of being an account about his best players, key transfers, key games and the decisions he made within them, it is actually a chance for Ferguson to settle old feuds, reignite others whilst inflating his own ego.

A man of his stature and success, you might hope for a candid review of everything, the bad years too, who helped him on his road to the top? Instead key players, who contributed to his success, are pretty harshly treated which leaves a bitter taste. It is almost as if he is trying to live up to his hairdryer antics in print form.

Liverpool, naturally, are in the firing line with somewhat debateable opinions on Steven Gerrard, Rafael Benitez and even the appointment of the current manager. Quite why he felt the need to add this is unknown. Mentioning current players/staff of other clubs is even more disrespectful than those of the past who were his dealings.

The book itself is actually not particularly well written and is quite a difficult read and just does not flow at all.

Ultimately, I would recommend this book second hand for a quick read as there are some interesting points, but nothing other than that.

I believe Alex Ferguson may regret having written this book in the near future. 2*

4.0 out of 5 stars A Legend Speaks, 2 Sep 2014
Very enjoyable follow-up to his first Autobiography and he goes into great detail of his relationship with United stars such as Keane, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Rooney. He also give some insight into his rivalry with the likes of Mourinho, Wenger and Benitez. My only disappointment was that it was not a longer book but I guess he already covered a lot of that ground in his first book.

2.0 out of 5 stars For football fans only, 13 Sep 2014
Lots of football insights into various teams, players tournaments and matches from the most successful manager in the English premier league
However for anyone with little insight into football most names mentioned mean nothing apart from the well known like Beckham and Rooney
Sir Alex gives little away about himself although he comes across as a loyal hard working man of principle

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight for Man Utd Fans, 3 Nov 2013
Mark Ramrattan "Mark Ramrattan" (South London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alex Ferguson My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Incredible read. I couldn't put the book down. To gain an insight into what Sir Alex Ferguson thought of his players and how he rationalised his tactical decision is phenomenal.

If Sir Alex felt that way (won't spoil the read) about certain players, then he is entitled to his opinion. He was critical of all the players including Giggs / Scholes and even himself. I always thought to myself, he better admit where he went wrong with those tactical decisions and he did.

5 Stars from me. My only regret is that I would of LOVED IT! if Sir Alex signed my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like football and particularly, Man Utd. then it makes for a good read., 1 Sep 2014
Steven Edwards (UK) - See all my reviews
A very successful manager. A long book. Some interesting insights but not too much that could be usefully applied. There were some enjoyable highlights about his mate Billy and some of his sideline tricks like tapping his watch. If you like football and particularly, Man Utd. then it makes a good read. I bought the cd's coz I would never get the time to read through it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legend!, 23 Nov 2014
A fantastic book profiling the career of probably the greatest football manager of all time spanning his time from his youth to his golden years managing at manchester United a fascinating insight to his life and his footballing philosophy that brought him so much success a absolute must read for any one who loves football

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent autobiography, 4 Nov 2014
I chose 4 stars for this book because you really get to know Alex as a person throughout. You can tell its him by the way he speaks and describes things. You really begin to like him as the book goes on, and covers so much of his career, a lot of which I enjoyed reliving (even though I'm not sure United fan). Great read

Alex Ferguson My Autobiography
Alex Ferguson My Autobiography by Alex Ferguson (Hardcover - 24 Oct 2013)