5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!
Published on 5 Dec 2009 by Evey

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost dogs
I loved this book My interest was held by the several different story lines and how they linked. It has rekindled an old interest in Bassett hounds!
Published 7 months ago by Jill

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, 5 Dec 2009
Evey (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
I loved Lucy Dillon's last book, Ballroom Class - I think she captures complicated couples really well - so I was excited about this new one. I think it's even better. As well as the really well-drawn characters, there are genuine ups and downs in their stories and some real tension. Lucy Dillon doesn't shy away from really difficult issues that other books prefer not to mention, while still weaving a heartfelt and warm story, where you actually care what is going to happen. It's feel-good, but not completely unrealistic fantasy, which is a great combination. I think the other thing that makes the book stand out from others of its genre is the way she bothers writing well-rounded older characters - she doesn't resort to stereotypes or just wheel them in for comic effect. It's a great warm Christmas-season read, proving everyone has a perfect match - just not the obvious one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woof!, 6 Dec 2009
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
What a great 'afternoon curled on the sofa' read. I just wanted something light to read and chose it by the cover really, but was surprised at how quickly I was drawn into the world of Longhampton and its inhabitants. It's not overly light and fluffy, it's a mix of real romance and real affection and real life too - it's not all about whether the girl gets the boy, although of course it has an element of that. I liked the 'skeletons in the closet' aspect as well. I'm not a dog person which almost put me off - but you don't have to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
I have just - reluctantly! - finished this book and absolutely loved it. Being a great dog lover myself, I found the story very addictive and really loved all the characters too. Lucy Dillon writes beautifully and creates wonderfully detailed characters. My heart went out to Natalie and Johnny, Zoe and her two sons, Rachel and George (not to mention Gem, Bertie, Lulu and so on!). You can tell that Lucy is an animal lover too, as she creates such lovely canine characters, as well as the human ones. I didn't want the book to end and hope there might be a sequel soon, as I'd really like to know what happened to them all after the last page of this truly terrific book. Well done Lucy and please keep on writing your beautiful books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Woof-tastic!, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
What a wonderful book! Okay, so I AM a dog person - that obviously made a lot of the situations much easier to identify with. But regardless of my love for animals, this is a story that warms the heart and brings a smile to your face. And you don't NEED to have the `doggie connection' because the main focus is on human relationships (love, friendship, family, betrayal...).

The story revolves around different characters, but I personally was mostly drawn to Rachel, a high flying typical London girl who suddenly finds herself in the middle of the countryside, with a broken heart, a failed affair and the responsibility of an entire dog kennels in her hands. She soon learns that fashionable black does not look as good when covered in hairs! But as anyone who has ever owned a dog knows, the smells and never ending shedding are nothing when compared to the way they find their way to your heart.

The other characters are just as likeable. There is single and recently divorced mum Zoe, who is dealing with her two young children Spencer and Leo, not to mention newly arrived Toffee, a Labrador puppy bought by her horribly selfish ex-husband to make up for his absence. Natalie and Johnny are struggling with their relationship in the process of trying for a baby, and somehow end up fostering an endearing Bassett Hound - could he be the answer to all their problems? I also loved Megan, the Australian girl working at the kennels - even if not a main character she is important because she really takes no fuss from anyone.

Everyone undergoes drastic changes to their lives, and by the end of the book new loves have blossomed, pregnancies are announced and non-dog lovers become besotted owners! A fantastic read I would recommend to anyone. Preferably with a dog sitting at your feet...

4.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely story involving dogs and the people of a small town., 25 Oct 2013
I feel a bit mean for only giving a four star rating as I really enjoyed this book. However, it isn't a masterpiece of literature just a really good story with sympathetic and well drawn, totally believable, characters. If you enjoy a good story that doesn't tax the little grey cells too much but entertains and has a happy ending then you will love this book. I hate the term chic-lit but I think it may be more suitable for ladies than gents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming doggy tale, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
I stumbled across Lucy Dillon's work when I was searching the internet for my favourite type of book (chick lit of course) combined with one of my favourite things in the world (dogs). I don't remember having read any chick lit where dogs formed a central component of the story before. Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts was swiftly moved to the top of my to read pile and I couldn't wait to get started!

The book centres on Rachel Fielding, a cappuccino drinking Londoner in her late thirties who has not only just lost her high-flying job but also her married lover Oliver who she's wasted years waiting for. We first meet Rachel as she learns she has inherited her Aunt Dot's home and rescue kennels in the countryside with Dot's most loyal companion Gem the Border collie also thrown in for good measure. The problem? Rachel is not a countryside person. She's definitely not a dog person. We follow Rachel as she reluctantly faces getting stuck into the day to day running of the kennels with much needed support, encouragement and cups of tea from the other staff, volunteers and the local vet George.

Rachel begins a mission to re-home all the dogs with new owners from the local community as soon as possible, so she can build a paying kennel business with a view to selling more easily in the future. It's this mission that brings in the other central characters of the story. Zoe is a newly divorced mum of two who is battling to keep the peace for the sake of the children - her ex handing her children a lively Labrador puppy (Toffee) is a step too far for this working mum. Will Zoe hand Toffee over to the rescue kennels? Natalie and Johnny are a happily married couple in most respects but missing the one thing they want the most, a baby. Thanks to their friend Bill who adopts Lulu the poodle Natalie and Johnny soon find themselves selected as the foster family for Bertie the very amusing basset hound. Will Bertie fill the gap in their relationship?

The story is told across four different viewpoints (Rachel, Zoe, Natalie and Johnny). Whilst the characters and stories all blended together nicely I did find myself having to keep checking whose viewpoint I was reading, maybe three viewpoints would have been a little more straightforward for the reader. Nevertheless I cared about each character and even the less central characters were key in demonstrating the sense of community around the rescue kennels. The dogs stole the show though, particularly Bertie! He will invoke tears and laughter amongst any dog lover!

The pace was maybe a little slow to begin with and it was a book I could put down but I did really look forward to getting back to the book by the mid-way point. As not all of the central characters were tied in with the last scenes of the book I hope that means we'll see more of them in Lucy's future books. I will definitely be reading another of Lucy's books, Walking Back to Happiness in the near future.

Overall I would say this is a lovely book to read, especially I imagine in the colder months snuggled up with a hot chocolate! This book will warm your heart and although I am very much a dog person I think you'd still enjoy this book if you're not. An important word of warning about this book for any meat eaters - if you're anything like me you will be craving bacon sandwiches for at least two weeks after finishing this book... you've been warned! I am going to walk my dog in the rain now, if only the cafe in this book was real!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Dogs and lonely hearts, 5 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
Wow, what a book, read it over christmas within 4 days, couldn't put it down, heart wrenching, funny, thought provoking, beautiful twist at the end. First book of Lucy Dillons that I have read, but certainly won't be the last, characters and storyline keep you enthralled to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars feel good, loved it, 18 Dec 2010
Amazon Customer "anitamcskimming" (derby england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
Lovely lovely book, perfect read. Like it was written for me! Like a big warm blanket on a cold winters night!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice easy reading, 28 May 2010
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
I was originally drawn to this book because of its cover. It told me it was a fun, gentle read. I was not disappointed. this is the first book i have read by Lucy Dillion. I was not disappointed. It tells the story of Rachel who inherits her aunts house and kennels. As the story starts you wonder if rachel will really be upto the challenge of looking after a home and kennels but as the story unfolds Rachel like so many of us - grow to fall in love with the dogs and there soon to be owners. Through reading the story you fall in love with the dogs themselves and they are only in a story"! Im a cat lover but i still was wanting a dog at this point. Though toffee kind of put me off with his naughty antics! I was hoping to find more out about Zoe and i felt at the end i really was left hanging with how things would end up for her. I would have liked to have learnt more about her as a character. All the characters where likeable and i like the way the lives of these people entwinned with one another. It was alittle obvious with Rachel and the vet - butit still kept you reading - just to be sure. I really enjoyed it and give it 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable whether you are a dog-lover or not!, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts (Paperback)
I have just finished this novel- and am left with a deep feeling of regret! I loved all of it and never thought that I would be remotely touched by such a book but, now not only can I recommed this book VERY VERY highly, I am now going to read this author's previous novel, which I have owned for a very long while. I wanted to finish this book, of course, in order to find out the ending, but on the other hand, I didn't want this book and its characters - both human and canine, to dissappear from my life

PLEASE try to read this as soon as you can!

Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts
Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon (Paperback - 26 Nov 2009)
5.59