5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking read that had me hooked
Team mentality that leads to violence and destruction.

It should have been the wedding of Hannah's dreams, but after saving herself for marriage to a sporting hero, she finds out she has STD's. Her husband, Brett, is all clear. Dr Anya Crichton believes Hannah and discovers the truth about what really happened to her patient.

Anya Crichton is sent...
Published 2 months ago by LSS

3.0 out of 5 stars Fell a bit flat
Kathryn Fox's crime series follows Dr Anya Crichton, who specialises in dealing with victims of sexual assaults. Malicious Intent and Without Consent were both excellent reads but her novels have gone slowly downhill since and I think Death Mask might be the end for me.

Published on 14 July 2011 by Curiosity Killed The Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Fell a bit flat, 14 July 2011
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

For some reason she decided to transplant Anya to America to cover the seedy side of American football even though she tars Aussie rules and soccer with the same brush. I find it very hard to believe that 90% of football players are rapists or the awful attitude of fans and the media towards victims that is portrayed here. Surely I'm not completely ignorant of the culture surrounding the game?

Whilst Anya is an established character I found the characters to be a bit flat and there was no real chemistry between the leading couple. The plot seemed to be wavering between legal drama (we know from the start who was involved in the rapes) and crime mystery but not hitting the mark with either. Whilst the crimes that occur are horrific, I did feel Anya felt a bit high and mighty and would have worked a bit better if she came across as flawed herself. It all seemed a bit too black and white for me. The players that were supposedly good got very little page space and I was left at the end not really understanding the reporter's actions.

Please don't let my less than enthusiastic review put you off reading her other books though, the first two I do recommend:

#1 Malicious Intent
#2 Without Consent
#3 Skin and Bone
#4 Blood Born
#5 Death Mask

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking read that had me hooked, 4 May 2015
Team mentality that leads to violence and destruction.

Anya Crichton is sent from Australia to America to conduct a study and give presentations to the adored sporting heroes. Working with Ethan Rye a private investigator, another girl is attacked by a group of footballers Anya is determined to discover who was responsible. Behind adulation and money it seems that the sporting heroes are untouchable.

This book is graphic, the descriptions are gritty and disturbing. The author makes the reader care about the victims and despair at the mentality behind the perpetrators. It is an electrifying read.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Cornwall, 20 April 2011
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have to disagree with one of the other reviewers. I read Kathryn Fox first three works and found them all to be excellent so I was anticipating another good thriller. In my mind this novel puts Ms Fox up there with the likes of Patricia Cornwall. The book is incredibly detailed which in my own opinion adds to the plot which creeps up on the reader. This is a real page turner and Dr Anya Crichton comes over as an excellent forensic expert in her field. The plot is outlined above.

Well worth a read if you enjoy a gripping thriller - it delivers.Death Mask

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont bother!, 19 April 2011
Karen (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
Boring plot and characters that you just can't care about. Shame as Fox's first 3 books were good - just reserve at the library - this book is not really worth rushing out to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars DEATH MASK - DEAD BORING !!!!!, 3 May 2011
ROSIE (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
I eagerly awaited this latest book by Kathryn Fox as i enjoyed the first 3 so much.,

I have to be honest and say this is the first book - i have ever, not finished, to be honest, whilst the forensic detail may be interesting, the storyline is not - its very repetative and drags on and on

Sorry folks would have loved to have raved about the book - but sadly cannot as it was so so boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down..., 15 Mar. 2012
I saw this book in my local Waterstones book shop and fancied having a read just based on the front and back covers. I downloaded it to my kindle and honestly could not put it down. A very good read, kept me gripped. The book is well written and thought out. If you like gritty novels, crime novels with a hint of medical and criminal investiagtions and a bit of a relationship story for the ladies, this book will suit. I have now downloaded a few more Kathryn Fox books and imagine I will have my head in these in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Death Mask (Anya Crichton) (Paperback)
I love Kathryn Fox and this series is fantastic. I found myself reading book after book to find out what happens next. This is a fantastic 5th novel for the character Anya Crichton and makes the plot incredibly realistic. You will find yourself getting angry at some characters and sympathises with others, hoping everything works out okay for them. Its a fantastic novel and I really enjoyed reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mills and Boon beginning, 2 May 2011
Although I respect anyone who writes a book and finds a publisher, I really must say I am sorry that I picked this up quickly as a 3 for 2 book purchase and didn't sample the first few pages. Whilst reading the prologue I thought I had found this in the Mills and Boon blushing brides section but it didn't get much better. Whilst I fully appreciate that many female forensic physicians may blush every time a male colleague acknowledges them, it didn't excuse the extremely boring way this book is written. Ms Fox may be trying to establish a point with regard to the serious injuries American football stars suffer, but she could have just published a powerpoint presentation - it would probably have been just as interesting. Sorry, I probably got this for nothing (please see above) but I certainly wouldn't waste my money on more of her books if this is an example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kathryn Fox books, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Death Mask (Anya Crichton) (Paperback)
Kathryn Fox is a very good writer her books keep you enthralled, this one didn't let me down either.
Well packaged arrived on time can't wait for next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 7 Feb. 2014
This book shows a side of professional sport that is usually hidden, but it has little depth to narrative. It would not appeal to football fans.

Death Mask (Anya Crichton)
Death Mask (Anya Crichton) by Kathryn Fox (Paperback - 13 Oct. 2011)