5.0 out of 5 stars A coppers copper!
Published on 26 Jun. 2009 by George Dixon

3.0 out of 5 stars You're Coming with me Lad
My wife found it quite a good read and amusing in places but did not live up to her expectations,
Published on 5 Dec. 2012 by Michael Davey

5.0 out of 5 stars A coppers copper!, 26 Jun. 2009
This review is from: You're Coming With Me Lad: Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby (Paperback)
I couldn't wait for the next installment of Mike's adventures in North yorkshire and like all good things it was well worth the wait.Being a retired rural bobby myself and with family residing in the area that I have good knowledge of ,I was not to be disappointed.Mike has an easy style about his writing which makes this such a pleasurable read.You can easily identify with the situations that he finds himself in and the descriptions of the countryside and characters are second to none.Never mind five stars...I would give it ten out of ten.My only question would be,when is the next installment out?Well done,Mike,keep the stories coming!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Oct. 2009
R. J. Mather (London) - See all my reviews
I read Mike's first book "Now then lad" which I thought was fantastic. Now, having just finished "You're coming with me lad" I must say i am hooked. The book starts with drama and ends with romance. I found the stories both compeling and interesting. Each chapter is told with passion and wonderful detail of "what it's like been a rural beat bobby". The setting for the book is also based in a beautiful part of the country-North Yorkshire. I am so pleased I read the 1st,delighted with the 2nd and now can't wait for the 3rd. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Policing in the country, 26 Nov. 2009
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I found this book an interesting read as it shows a different side of policing to the one shown by most sections of the media. Pragmatic action is taken to solve more minor problems and the public seem to respect this. Where people have committed crimes which warrant more heavy handed action then this is used. I also liked the view the book gave of the other problems in which the police become involved - such as an unexpected flood and looking for someone who has become detached from their walking party on the moors.

The police in the North York Moors area obviously know and get on well with each other and the local community. There are amusing incidents and there are tragedies but all are worth reading. I loved the episode involving the stolen cash machine and the elderly man in the Vauxhall Corsa as well as the fight after which the bridegroom, the bride and the best man all ended up in the police cells.

This is an excellent read for anyone who wants to find out what policing a country area is really like.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic and entertaining embodiment of both Policing and Yorkshire, 7 Sept. 2012
This was the first of Mike's books I have read but it will surely not be the last. I am a serving Police Officer myself and I have found this book thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. Mike wrights it how he sees it and the outcome is a wonderful blend of interesting and accurate anecdotes about modern day policing and heart warming tales from his private life in rural Yorkshire. This will appeal to people with or without a policing background and is as educational about Policing as it is about life in general.

Overall a wonderful biography of a rural Police Officer and I am now working my way through the rest of Mike's books, smiling and laughing out loud as I go!

5.0 out of 5 stars North Yorkshire's finest, 3 Sept. 2009
Mark Close (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the first volume of Mike Pannett's recollections I was looking forward to the second installment. I've certainly not been disappointed as 'You're Coming with me Lad' ticks all the same boxes and more as the second excursion around North Yorkshire serves to deepen the characters Mike comes into contact with as well as adding a new set of fascinating ones. The friendship with his old friend Walter and his burgeoning relationship with his new girlfriend are dealt with gently and poignantly and serve to provide the books with a strong feeling of continuity and emotional bond. As with 'Now then Lad' the book is beautifully written and evokes wonderfully the locale and people. I'd certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a good read and I'm looking forward to the third installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 17 Oct. 2009
I am so pleased to say, that this book is just as good if not slightly better than Mike's 1st book "Now the lad". I enjoyed from start to end for so many reasons. The book is all set in Yorkshire which I know well. He has left the real location names in which added to my enjoyment. The pace of the book is just right with both funny stories mixed with moving ones. The charactors are also so very endearing. What a wonderful book this is. I can't wait for what happens next.

4.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKING VERBAL SCENERY, 14 Feb. 2013
What a wonderful book. It is a cross between All Creatures Great and Small and Dixon of Dock Green. The imagery of rural Yorkshire was described in infinite detail and it was so easy to read a passage then shut your eyes and visualise it. My father had a very similar role in the police in the 1960s covering a rural area of Hereford. Reading this book also brought back many happy memories of that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars You've got us all hooked, lad, 17 Sept. 2009
Karen Wolfe (east Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This long-awaited sequel ticks all the right boxes. Whilst the tender thread of Mike and Ann's developing romance runs right through the narrative, PC Pannett is not one to shy away from the hard-edged realities of rural policing, managing to strike the perfect balance between action and emotion.
The author's obvious love for his North Yorkshire environment adds an extra dimension to what is already a bloody good read: roll on book 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good light hearted read., 21 Jan. 2014
Fiona Carson (Dumfries, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Very enjoyable book. This is the second book from Mike Pannett that I've read. Can't wait to start the next book in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!, 15 Jan. 2014
I felt like I had been transported to Yorkshire and lived and breathed Mike's journey. So happy with the ending!

You're Coming With Me Lad: Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby
You're Coming With Me Lad: Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby by Mike Pannett (Paperback - 25 Jun. 2009)