5.0 out of 5 stars a 70s classic, more relevant now than ever
this book looks great - it reminds me of another favourite of mine, sophie grigson's "country kitchen" in both artwork and recipes.

Published on 13 Nov 2008 by Hambletta-Maud

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not exciting
I bought this book hoping it would inspire me with thrifty recipes to cheer my table in these penny pinching days. There are a handful of recipes i would try but a distinct lack of pictures make for an uninspiring tome. Im not a great Delia fan so maybe that's the problem, maybe the die-hard Delia fans out there might rate it higher than i did.
Published on 21 Mar 2009 by Mrs. C. M. Lambert

5.0 out of 5 stars a 70s classic, more relevant now than ever, 13 Nov 2008
Hambletta-Maud "hamble" (somewhere in west europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)

most of the recipes are plain, good old fashioned fare, but easy to cook and delicious to eat. i have tried kipper quiche (it was fantastic), bangers braised in cider (mouthwatering) and curried eggs with cauliflower (believe it or not, surprisingly gorgeous). and reading through the recipes there is none that seems would be particularly difficult or time-consuming to make.

most of the ingredients are easy enough to source. in fact, that should be ALL of the ingredients. there is nothing that you cannot buy down at your local monopolising supermarket or independent butcher. the most exotic item i could find was powdered mace, and even my rubbishy local asda had that.

and what's more, ms smith's royalties will go to CAFOD (the catholic fund for overseas development), a highly deserving charity.

a prized addition to my collection, i can recommend this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A culinary classic, 23 Oct 2007
Peter Scott "peter46077" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frugal Food (Paperback)
This is a book for real cooks. It is also a book for people trying to feed a family well on a limited budget, as the title suggests. I brought my children up on it and at times things were very frugal. Nevertheless they ate well in all senses of the word - flavour, quality and balance. There is a wide range of recipes, and all of the ones that I have tried really do work. Don't be misled by the word 'Frugal' in the title. This is a set of superb recipes by any standard. Even my 25 year old son, who is now a chef, remembers the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome makeover for cheap and cheerful classic, 22 Nov 2008
hbw (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
"Frugal Food" was the first cookbook that I bought. That was 25 years ago. Since then, my (much-used) paperback copy has fallen apart and gone to the great recycling plant in the sky.

It's good, then, to find, not only a new edition, but one that's been updated to take account of changes in what we eat and how we cook. Lard and dripping have been replaced by ground nut oil and you don't even have to make your own pastry - frozen is fine. Good, too, that this has been issued as a hardback: paperback cookery books were never a good idea.

The recipes are basically the same as before - good food made from ingredients that won't break the bank - simple enough for students, ordinary enough for the family and good enough to serve to friends.

Although the emphasis is on economy, there's more than a hint of comfort food here that will not go amiss as the recession deepens and the thermometer falls. Beef in cider - yum - I can hardly wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic!, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
I have been using this book since it was first published and my old copy fell apart some years ago, forcing me to search for another copy which I managed to do via Amazon. Since then, guess what, Frugal Food has suddenly come into it's own, with a whole new edition!!

I use this book all the time for good homely reliable recipes - just look at all the things you can do with a pound of sausages, and every receipe a winner - you will not regret buying this book at all!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's Frugal Food, 6 Jun 2009
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
I have a copy of the original of this book which I have used for many years. This one comes up to scratch things having moved on considerably since 1976. I particularly like the one recipe per page but the real proof is in the quality of the recipes. I did not really go for Delia's incursion into expensive foods (70 for a joint of ham was a bit too much) and I have always seen her as a modern Mrs Beaton which she should stick to.

4.0 out of 5 stars More no-nonsense cooking from Delia., 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
Although I had not read the original 'Frugal Food' I still found this book useful. It is based on her original book published in the '70s and has been updated for today's readers/cooks.

As a child of the seventies I found it very interesting from a 'historical' point of view (TVP anyone?) and the recipes are easy to follow and simple for just normal everyday food.

Most people know that to eat cheaply you have to shop in season and buy as little processed food as possible which is quite different to her 'how to Cheat' book - clearly Delia is aware of the changes in the economy since her last book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia at her best, 12 Jun 2007
D. Riches (Faversham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frugal Food (Paperback)
I can't remember how many copies of this book I have bought - because it's so good I recommend it to friends and end up by giving them my copy. It combines Delia's infallible recipes with budget conscious ingredients and proves that good food doesn't have to be high priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb slow food cook book, 26 Nov 2008
R. Howlett "recycling ruth" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
I bought this after reading the other reviews and I have not been disappointed. Her common sense shines through as always and of the recipes tried thus far, my hungry brood of teenagers have loved them. Thank you for re publishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delias frugal food, 10 Feb 2009
Alison Busby (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
Delia's Frugal Food Is upto Delia's high standard nothing I didn't know already but just had to add another title to my book shelf. Arrived safe and secure and now looks the worse for wear as am teaching my son how to cook and am using it as a teaching aid. There aren't too many ingredients to each recipe and they are all things that he already knows about and eats, so am just teaching how to read and follow recipes - the macaroni gratin (with ham and mushrooms) is our fav for a saturday night and have used the cheese sauce part of this recipe every week for pasta sauces or vegetable gratins.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Delia's Frugal Food (Hardcover)
This cookery book is a godsend for times when money is short, and you want to cook something without too much fuss. The leek and carrot soup is delicious. I was glad to see this book back in circulation, I remember it from years ago.

Delia's Frugal Food
Delia's Frugal Food by Delia Smith (Hardcover - 30 Oct 2008)
14.39