Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 October 2007
This is a lovely picture book with gorgeous wholesome pictures, and a lift-the-flap on every page. A boy heads into a pet shop with big signs on the window "Everything must go". Inside there's a very friendly rat for 1p who's dying to be picked and helps throughout the browsing process. There are lots of interesting animals, terrapin, turtle and tortoise; a perch of things beginning with p (platypus???); a skink ("a sausage on legs" says the rat) and so on. Will the boy choose the salamander, the anteater, or what? The finale is a long fold-out page with a collection of animals and a pop-out pelican.
With its flaps and interesting animals, this is probably suitable for children from about 18 months (in response to the other review, Billy's Beetle has the same kind of feel as this book but possibly has more text and certainly has no flaps so is better from two and a half). This book should also last the test of time. It still amuses my daughter who at 7 is really too old, and she also likes to do the maths, adding up the prices of the various animals for sale up to reach £1.
In sum, totally charming.
on 1 December 2007
My son has had this book for a year and we still enjoy it. I'm now buying it for my God-daughter. It's one of those gems of a children's book which wont make you groan when your child asks you to read it again and again and AGAIN! (in the same league as Night Monkey Day Monkey & The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson)
on 7 December 2000
I just loved this book, my daughter Tess (age5) really enjoyed the character of the little rat. He was so endearing and funny, you can't help but love him. The lift-up flap format really added to the enjoyment of the story, and even though I thought it was a tad babyish for Tess, she couldn't wait to lift the flaps. You will find yourself smiling all the way through this book..the ridiculous prices of the animals, rats' description of them, and of course the beautiful illustrations. It will leave your child feeling warm inside and believing in happy endings....now that must be worth something, surely.
on 30 October 2001
My little boy (aged 4) has had this book for two years and still loves it. It is a wonderful book; it has laughs, pathos, numbers to learn and lots more besides. A must have for your collection!
on 23 January 2001
Although every Mick Inkpen book is so distinctly and wonderfully "Mick Inkpen", each one has something new and unique about it. I read The Great Pet Sale over and over again to my boy because it makes me laugh. Apart from being beautiful like all Inkpens, it is funny in a new and different way.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 March 2014
A boy visits the pet shop with his money.. What animal will he choose?

It includes lots of animal names, money and answer story about a rat desperate to be taken home.

My qualms are that a couple of times you're not sure which animal is which (I'm not a natural history expert and we both guess) and that when the boy spends his money, the amount of each animal is unrealistic, but hey, it's a picture book!

Love Inkpen's distinctive style of illustration, love the story and foldouts as always. My three year old is always pleased to see this at bedtime.
on 8 October 1999
Full of the usual Mick Inkpen excellent illustrations. A fun way to learn numbers for your child, especially if they like animals. Recommended, but not as good as Billy's Beetle.
on 22 July 2012
I am a primary school teacher and i have used this book on many occasions to introduce the value of money and also basic addition problems. It is a wonderful story to also read for enjoyment.
on 4 August 2013
This book arrived in good time, well packaged and in excellent condition. My 5yrs old granddaughter loves to read & as she has many Mike Inkpen books in her collection I thought 1 more would be good. I know she will enjoy reading this as I did when I skimmed through it on arrival.... I will report back in December (That's her birthday) on how much she enjoyed reading the book. Thanks for prompt service & I will use seller again..
on 28 June 2015
Best children's book ever - this is such fun. Twenty years on from buying it for my own, I am buying it for a friend's little boy and think i love it even more - all those funny little voices came back into my head, reminiscent of reading it aloud the first time. Also its not particularly sentimental, and doesn't have a deep meaning! Its just really good fun, with great illustrations and little flaps to open up.