5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Clever story, great pictures and a super ending!
Published on 3 Dec. 2000 by ejchalmers@netscapeonline.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing
Lovely story. Condition reasonable and pretty much as expected, although a bent corner on the front cover was not mentioned.
Published 16 months ago by Diane Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Clever story, great pictures and a super ending!, 3 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
Something that became "nothing" and then something special once more.... Well written in good English, with a clever story line that keeps small minds with short attention spans with you all the way to the end. A lovely ending that will have your children asking you to read this story to them again and again - until they are big enough to read it themselves!
The illustations are large, brightly coloured but soft and clear.
In these days of horrid pictures and frightening words, it's so lovely to find books that you know won't give the kids nightmares.
I would thoroughly recommend this book to any parent or grandparent. This is how I remember the books of my childhood and how I would want my children to remember the book of theirs!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking children's story, 9 Nov. 2007
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
Mike Inkpen is a brilliant children's author. I and my little boy have loved every book we have read by this clever man. "Nothing" is one of our favourites. As a family pack to move house (just around the corner) they are overheard to say that "nothing has been left behind" the small sad bundle of grey cloth in the attic who has been left behind therefore thinks that his name is "nothing".

A small night-time adventure across rooftops and through gardens, encountering many animals along the way, ensues. The main character in the story is confused about who he is, scared on his journey, but accepts help where he finds it and has a wonderfully happy ending. I feel that the underlying message in this story to small people is very positive. You may be unsure about who you are, you may be scared at times, but even the smallest, grubbiest and most lost amongst us can find love.

A wonderful theme, beautifully written and illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 11 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
Like the other reviewers, this simple and profound story brought tears to my eyes when I first read it. I have used it as a teaching tool with children, young people and adults. It's a great little story in itself, but the theme of lost identity, acceptance and rediscovered purpose will keep you coming back to this beautiful book.
The artwork, story telling and characters are all simple but perfectly formed.
Mick Inkpen is a genius and this is his best work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 14 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
When I first read this to the children in my year one class it brought tears to my eyes. A beautifully written story that really tugs at the heart strings. Wonderful book for those who like a little sentiment and good feeling; young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story with a difference, from Mick Inkpen, 21 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
which is, generally, quite a change in direction from the creator of `Kipper'!

Initially about the sadness of lost identity (tissues required!), acceptance of one`s predicament and, finally, the joy of re-discovery!

A delightful, longer than average book, with the most superb illustrations.
28 shiny high quality pages, in the popular 2-page spread format, culminating in fold out pages of the revamped `Nothing'.

From back cover:-
`A little creature lies in the attic, alone and forgotten. It cannot even remember its own name.
One day the attic door is flung open....
And so begins Nothing's search to discover who he really is.'

Example of text:-

`A new baby is on the way.
The family are moving out of Number 47 to a bigger house round the corner.
The cat has gone missing.
But everything else is packed and ready to go.
Nothing has been left behind.......'

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing but also pretty profound stuff for adults, 20 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
I bought this rather simple, very touching and well illustrated story for my then four year old who two years later stil begs me to read it. I may be reading too much into this, but there is a rather profound message hidden within this story about identity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
Having read two text extracts to my guided reading group we were intrigued as to who or what Nothing was, so I promised yr4 that I'd get the book and read to them. (I still managed to keep them guessing for most of the book) A lovely story of loss, remembering, being found and starting over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childen love this book, 22 May 2012
Frank Budden (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
Lovely book, captivating for the reader or listener. A reading to a group of 18 four year olds held their attention completely, right to the end - when they demanded a re-reading! They really loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing by Mick Inkpen, 22 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Nothing (Paperback)
I love this book and wanted to share it with my grandson. I was pleased to be able to buy a secondhand copy as it appears to be out if print. My granson who is 3 years 10 months loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Nothing (Book & CD) (Audio CD)
Still one of my daughters favourite books, she's now 9, a lovely story, beautifully told and if you don't have time to read it with your child the CD is a great bonus.

Nothing
Nothing by Mick Inkpen (Paperback - 20 July 2006)