5.0 out of 5 stars Just starting secondary school. A MUST
Published on 29 Sept. 2009 by E. Child

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good enough for a teenager
I wish it had more scernios so that my daughter could relate it to a situation she is in at school. It would also be better if there were less quizes.
Published on 26 April 2013 by Andrea Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Just starting secondary school. A MUST, 29 Sept. 2009
E. Child (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bullies, Bigmouths and So-Called Friends: Bullies, Bigmouths and So-called Friends (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my 11 year old son who has just started secondary school. He started having a few problems with some close friends and however hard I tried to help with advice I don't think it was sinking in. So I purchased this book, which is written for the child it is easy to read with some cartoon style formats and with examples of situations and the best way to deal with them. I have also tried to read it (my son kept taking the book back!)so I can give the same advice. My son said it is a good book and has definately helped him. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 5 Nov. 2003
Bullies, Bigmouths and So-called Friends should be on the school syllabus. Every child could benefit from reading it and doing the exercises. Not only is this book absolutely packed to the rafters with fantastic advice - it's also a great read. The language is down to earth, totally appealing and funny. It made me laugh out loud as well as examine my behaviour and attitudes. It's filled with great exercises and quizzes that make you feel more as though you're flicking through your favourite magazine. It's not only young people who can benefit from it either. I've already found myself putting some of the ideas into practice in my everyday life. Everything about this book makes you want to read it and take note - you can even choose your own cover! (Pink for girls, blue for boys!) Next step should be a cover for adults. EVERYONE can learn something from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Recommend highly enough., 19 Nov. 2013
This is my first ever Amazon review and I am writing it because I feel so strongly about this book.

My nine year old daughter is being bullied by two girls at school and her "So Called Friend" joins in when it suits her.
This book has been invaluable in helping her to deal with the bullying.
She wrote down coping strategies from the book on a piece of paper to take into school (which caused me to burst into tears but is a good sign that she is taking back control).
It has also helped her understand that the her "so called friend" is not a friend at all.
It is funny and has made us both laugh.
She loves the quizzes that are throughout the book.
We have role played situations and body postures that have made us cry with laughter (and she has already used some at school).
And it has helped me to help her as my initial advice of "just ignore it" was clearly rubbish!

For any other parents who are felling the anguish of a bullied child, BUY THIS BOOK NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bullies, Bigmouths and So-called Friends, 30 July 2003
Chris Nichols (Stratton, Bude, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is an invaluable resource both for 9 to 18-year-olds and for teachers. Its format of helpful advice, fictional case-histories, self-esteem strategies and useful phone numbers, web-sites and addresses, is written in a really accessible language.
Teenagers will find this strikes a chord for a multitude of commonly-met situations.
Teachers will find it a wealth of assembly content and advice.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 11 Sept. 2009
This book is useful for adults, children being bullied and bullies themselves. One review was using this book as an educational tool - yes. Families require this book, if not for themselves, it is a reference book if anyone asks advice on how to handle bullying.

Good strong consistent appropriate advice on how children can build their self esteem, this does not mean read the book and life issues are resolved. The book is a tool, mantra and support is required to reinforce this until issues are resolved and children are more able to help semselves.

Brilliant buy - do not expect all schools to support children who are bullied. Bullying policies are often disregarded and it is easier to remove the child being bullied than the bully. In conjuction with this book there is advice from Kid Scape and ABC on the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 12 Sept. 2007
Z. Tyrrell (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book. I bought it to work with 10-15 yr olds but would happily lend it to my adult friends. It was an easy read but had strong simple principles expressed in a fun memorable way that addressed unhelpful thinking, self esteem, taking responsibility for your own actions and managing anger amongst other issues. It is intended for kids to read by themselves but is adaptable for discussion in one to one sessions. Get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be Compulsary in schools. My Money has been well spent!!, 9 May 2011
As mentioned by someone else, this book should be a must in schools. My daughter (who's 10) is really struggling in school and as with most parents I gave futile advice (like ignore it), and it didn't help mainly because I felt pretty powerless myself because I didn't have the answers), and the school did a bit but not enough. So I ordered this book. I cannot thank the author enough for her wise words!! This book gives answers beyond "hit them back" or "ignore them", which seems to be the standard answer depending which camp you're in, In a language that's easy for children to understand. Jenny Alexander's book is very clever, funny, and really is written for children but I couldn't put it down myself! Amongst the explanations of what happens during bullying or teasing, It gives good examples of typical situations and looks at how to handle these problems in a way that doesn't put even more pressure on an already mountainous problem. There are some fantastic exercises that help children (and adults) see how they view themselves and others around them. I can't recommend this book enough. My daughter read a third of it in one evening, and has insisted on taking it to guided reading. "It's like the book is reading my mind." is what my daughter has said so far about it. I think it is going to really help her look at hostile situations in a different way and also look at herself in a far more positive light. I have a queue of parents (and the head) who want to borrow this book! If you have a child who is being teased or bullied or simply struggles to know what to say when somebody says something mean to him/her, this book is definately for them (and you!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, 15 Oct. 2009
dreamysunflower (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Didn't know what to do to help my nephew, so I bought him this. He found it really useful, and it helped him know he wasn't the only one who felt like that. We'd recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn about your own feelings as well as how to deal with others, 1 Nov. 2010
MultiMum (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book along with "Stick up for yourself:every kid's guide to personal power and self esteem" and "The Unwritten Rules of Friendship" for my year 5 (aged 9 rising 10) daughter who had been struggling with "friendship problems" as the school terms them, as well as some persistent teasing. This book was easy for her to read as well as me. The little projects along the way with paper and pencil were unappealing to her, so she didn't do them, but there were lots of useful sections on recognising emotions in more detail than she was used to, so that she could discuss and understand her feelings in a more useful way. There were many little examples of teasing and unkind behaviour which she could easily relate to and she read the whole book with enthusiasm. This book made her understand that part of why she was being made so upset at school was because she lacked confidence, and that knowledge in itself helped her enormously.

A great value book for getting to grips with feelings and bullies.

5.0 out of 5 stars It it the best book ever, 19 Mar. 2013